Charity Shop Donations

Chervil

Site Supporter
Most of the stuff we get rid of goes to charity, lots of larger items go to either BHF or a local charity, which means they get some good stuff and we get it taken away. Smaller items go into one of the charity shops in town.
We gift aid, so sometimes get an email from Cancer Research. We had one this morning and, considering my wife spreads the items around the various charity shops in town, I was surprised at how much they had sold the things we have donated over the past year for - £446.22.

Last edited:

bluemack

Site Supporter
I give sod all to charity shops since an incident a couple of years ago ,I took 4 bags of decent clothes to the local ish
Oxfam it was close to closing time and I was rushing to get there,dropped them off .,got back to my car could,nt find my car keys ,went back to the shop and they refused to let me in to check the bags.So I had a 2 mile walk home and same back in the morning and there were my keys in one of the bags(I wasn't too pleased )
So they get nothing from me now.😕

SeanB

Site Supporter
It's the same with my daughter, we have bags of clothes to take to the charity shop and I bet half of them have never been worn.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
A friend of mine gave some nearly new clothes to an Oxfam shop. She was disappointed that one of the staff was seen taking a lot of the clothes to her own home later that same day. Rightly or wrongly I tend not to trust staff in a high street charity shop.

If I have anything to get rid of I put it on a local facebook group, either for sale or to give away.

davylad

Site Supporter
We seem to be some kind of centre, before I take them to Dove House charity shop. There's a big box waiting to go right now, and like others there's labels on quite a few, mainly from my daughters and granddaughters. I get a thank you letter now and again telling us how much they've made. You never know just when some of us will end up in a hospice some day.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
A friend of mine gave some nearly new clothes to an Oxfam shop. She was disappointed that one of the staff was seen taking a lot of the clothes to her own home later that same day. Rightly or wrongly I tend not to trust staff in a high street charity shop.

If I have anything to get rid of I put it on a local facebook group, either for sale or to give away.
That's horrendous to stay you don't trust charity shop staff. I volunteer in one and it's bloody hard work sorry through items. How do you know she was taking them home? or wash she going to wash them. Managers have a strict policy which isn't abused. We pay for the stuff we want we get a 20 percent discount which is decided at head office. I probably do 14 hours a week for no pay and buy something probably once a month.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
My brother lived with my dad and died September ‘20. Then dad had an accident at home in Jan ‘21 and had to go to hospital (Stoke Mandeville Burns unit) then on to a care home March ’21 and eventually died last October. Sorting his (theirs really as mum had already passed a few years before) council house out was a nightmare, mostly for me but also for my sister. There was so much stuff, and good stuff. It really was rammed. But only really worth anything to people who wanted it.

A lot went to Helen & Douglas House who support terminally ill children. There was so much of various kinds but masses of old ornaments, some individual many in sets, which mum had collected over decades (lots of 50’s & 60’s stuff and also many things dad had brought back from the far east when in the RN) in Crystal & Porcelain. I can remember taking in crates & crates to them and which I had wrapped each piece in newspaper to stop them getting damaged (I spoke to them first and sent the photographs to make sure) and they eagerly took the lot. It must have taken ages for them to sort etc. But they sold it – all ! I remember one lady telling me how much they had made and it was well into 4 figures. And all I could think of was ‘good for you. That is what it was for’. There was no way I was going to take the easy & lazy option and go to the tip. And everything bought has gone to a home and the charity have benefitted. A lot of work but well worth it. Mum & Dad would have been happy.

My sister and I kept a few odd bits (I have one of my grandfather’s model trains from 1897 !!!) as you do but 98% went to charities with odd things to family members. I just have to sort some other stuff out now !! And I might start with my wife’s wardrobe………………..

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Most of the stuff we get rid of goes to charity, lots of larger items go to either BHF or a local charity, which means they get some good stuff and we get it taken away. Smaller items go into one of the charity shops in town.
We gift aid, so sometimes get an email from Cancer Research. We had one this morning and, considering my wife spreads the items around the various charity shops in town, I was surprised at how much they had sold the things we have donated over the past year for - £446.22.
- £446.22 🤕

🤣🤣🤣👍🏻

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

This happened round here too. A nieghbour dropped off 7 or 8 bags of clothing and a couple of boxes of bric-a-brac to one of local charity shops. A couple of days later he found 2 of shop volunteers selling the stuff at a car boot not far away. He asked if they were working and both said no as it was their day off.

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I'm sure most of the clothes my wife takes in still have the labels on them, I do sometimes ask if we should just drop them straight off at the charity shop, instead of taking them home.
The Boss is still wearing a top bought at C&A, that must have been 30 years ago.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
My mother, when in her 70’s, worked at a charity shop for several years, mainly for the company and to get her out of the house for a bit. When donations came in, the manager set the prices and if staff wanted anything they paid the price that was set.

CarpCatcher86

I buy quite a lot from charity shops, in some cases I have bought things from charity shops that you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else.
What angers me is the prices they charge for some items. When all is said and done, they have a shop full of free stock.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Charity shops are run as businesses with targets to meet and overheads to pay for

Chervil

Site Supporter
I sometimes donate fishing tackle , tell them what to ask for it so they don't get ripped off .
I had a sort out and found a Daiwa reel I can't see me using again, so took the line off the spools gave it a good clean up and asked my wife to drop it onto Cancer Research, as it's next to where she works.
Like yourself, I normally tell them what I think it's worth. She just phoned to say she dropped it off, told them what I thought it would go for and the chap said, that any decent items they now put on eBay, as they get more, although it will still be gift aided.

Just had a look and found this.

A little worried about this 'used' item,

Last edited:

gingert76

Cebu, Philippines
before i moved here i emptied my 2 bed flat between local shops and the bulk to the BHF, and i mean everything! i left with 1 suitcase with summer clothes and i had top end of most things.

Had it booked for months with BHF, provided a detailed list of over 50 things, even told them there was still other thigns i might add ad hoc and was told fine.

Was told it would be fine, date booked for the empty the day before i was due to move and catch my flight, was booked for over 8 weeks and come the day one van turns up at 4pm (was told morning as i had to take keys back) and 3 people walked in and said they would take 7 items and nothing more! i was flabbergasted, told them everything, showed them the list and all they said was they shouldnt have promised you.

So i said i have to go, im flying in the morning and im panicking! and one jumped up rubbish started going around and marking the 7 most expensive things to take and i told him in no uncertain terms you take it all as agreed or nothing!!!! he was a complete ass and just carried on so told him either he left or he would be knocked down the stairs.

Thankfully the other two could see i was panicing and i said please just look at what i am giving! and i cant change my flight details or get a removal company, so they agreed to take what they could! the van was 3/4 empty!!!! so they took most of the stuff, thankfully my bro came in his van and took teh rest and dumped it at his yard.

all the little stuff i gave away to the local charity, they even called me as i gave them a liverpool autograph book i got as a present, they had it apraised as i was told when i got it it had a rare signature. they called me a few days later saying it was valued at over £1,000 and did i want it back lol, of course not! they couldnt thank me enough but it was theirs now and they text me a few weeks later saying they sold it for over £1,500 which is more than they get in 6 months so im glad i helped.

But for god sake, if you do a house clearance confirm what they say, the removal people for BHF said they were sub contractors and get x amount per item and they limit each donation to 7 items, even if you book more, no idea why! i even gave them £50 for taking it all and for being heated so they could have a dinner on me.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

My mother worked in a charity shop and the staff always had first dibs at new stock. No staff discount they paid the label price.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Not strictly on the same subject as the original post, but I witnessed a bloke getting arrested for helping himself to clothes from the “clothing recycling skip” outside a supermarket this afternoon. It involved SIX pcso’s and two proper coppers to arrest him and take him away. To be fair the guy looked like he needed some decent clothes 😢