Charities again

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I could tell you a rather upsetting story about a top guy at a very well known charity and how he looks after his friends at Christmas but, I best not. These days I prefer to give direct. I'm one of those that if I see you on the street looking like you need a meal or a drink then I'll get you one. No need for middle men.

Tyecon

Charities as the name suggest is a good thing but the management who have there hands on the cheque book I question

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I could tell you a rather upsetting story about a top guy at a very well known charity and how he looks after his friends at Christmas but, I best not. These days I prefer to give direct. I'm one of those that if I see you on the street looking like you need a meal or a drink then I'll get you one. No need for middle men.

Done it a few times mate i also tek a few Treats or Bonios if they got a dog (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Charities always carry cash reserves. They have committed expenditure with no guaranteed source of income. I have been chairman of a charity, small but the same thing applied. We could not spend everything in reserve because then we had no contingency if income dropped off.

All charity financial information is freely available on the Charity Commission website. E.G. RBL here

Income £163m, expenditure £165m. The interesting figures are the Charitable spending ratios at the foot of the Financials page.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Never really understood why we need charities to take care of our veterans.
We shouldn't need charities to look after our veterans the government should look after them directly .If you know any veterans and they accept charity even if it's a cuppa and a biscuit and a little company then that would be nice to help them

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just Murdochs lot up to their old tricks again.....

Imagine if the charities didn't have their reserve...... now imagine people stop donating and suddenly they have a lot less funds coming in but they still need to pay for the hospices etc they run... where's it going to come from or are they just going to chuck the people in them out on the street and shut down the whole operation?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Never really understood why we need charities to take care of our veterans.

It is probably more cost efficient than collecting tax and losing a huge percentage going through the Government system before it being used.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
TBH I don't care which media source raises the point or even if it is totally accurate,if is keeps the issue of ex-forces need after service help then it can only be a good thing.
Rather have this than no attention to the situation at all

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
TBH I don't care which media source raises the point or even if it is totally accurate,if is keeps the issue of ex-forces need after service help then it can only be a good thing.
Rather have this than no attention to the situation at all

I don't see it as being a good thing... how many people are going to react like those who saw the RNLI report?

"Oh! they aren't giving the money to those who need it so i won't bother donating anymore" .... result, less funding for the ex-forces who need it!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
We shouldn't need charities to look after our veterans the government should look after them directly .If you know any veterans and they accept charity even if it's a cuppa and a biscuit and a little company then that would be nice to help them
What really makes me angry is the fact that some charity leaders take a massive wage out of the so called charity .Yes I agree that if they need a wage to live off like the rest of us then that's ok but a normal wage not the whopping amounts we keep hearing about .I see volunteers working in charity shops for free and the bosses turning up in massive new luxury cars and taking their pick of the best clothes to sell on or take home themselves. My mother worked in one years ago and saw this time and time again. If it's a charity then it should be for charity and not personal gain .I'm sure there are many excellent charities out there and I applaud and appreciate those run responsibly and think they do a fantastic job .Its about time charities are thoroughly checked out to see if the money is actually getting to where it is intended to go after running costs and if needed a fair wage