Changing Video format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Hi

Little problem I took some video footage on my camera and I want to upload it to Facebook. The video footage is in .AVI format and it just seems to keep uploading without ever finishing [:(]

Can anyone recommend a free video file converter.

I tried putting the footage onto Windows home movie maker but there also seemed to be a problem with the Facebook direct connection through that [:(]

So really I would just prefer to convert the file to a suitable format and upload it just using the facebook site.

Hope that all makes sense [:)]

cheers

Jim

red110kev

Or try "Format Factory".

Again it's freeware and will convert to just about any format.

samuel2222

Just search Google for 'free video converter' or use http://download.cnet.com/windows/

mecca

Another smoggy
you know, if its an xvid or avi file you can sometimes just rename it to yourfilename.mp4 (you may need to "show file extensions" in windows to do that).

facebook prefers mp4 by the looks of things, so if you have an avi or xvid file just rename it .mp4 and try it

im not a member of facebook so cannot try it sorry.

that will only work on certain file types, not sure what your camera footage format is??

from facebook, list of what you can upload.

We support almost all video file types, but you'll have the best luck with the MP4 format. Here's the complete list:

3g2 (Mobile Video)
3gp (Mobile Video)
3gpp (Mobile Video)
asf (Windows Media Video)
avi (AVI Video)
dat (MPEG Video)
divx (DIVX Video)
dv (DV Video)
f4v (Flash Video)
flv (Flash Video)
m2ts (M2TS Video)
m4v (MPEG-4 Video)
mkv (Matroska Format)
mod (MOD Video)
mov (QuickTime Movie)
mp4 (MPEG-4 Video)
mpe (MPEG Video)
mpeg (MPEG Video)
mpeg4 (MPEG-4 Video)
mpg (MPEG Video)
mts (AVCHD Video)
nsv (Nullsoft Video)
ogm (Ogg Media Format)
ogv (Ogg Video Format)
qt (QuickTime Movie)
tod (TOD Video)
ts (MPEG Transport Stream)
vob (DVD Video)
wmv (Windows Media Video)

The aspect ratio of the video has to be between 9x16 and 16x9, and the video cannot exceed the file size or length that the upload page suggests.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Thanks for all the information lads

In the end I used Format Factory great, little download

The reason for this, my youngest lad won a National Karate Championships on Sunday in Stratford upon Avon so I just wanted to put the footage on my Facebook Page

Job Done [:T]

Many thanks

Jim

Paulmm

A simple product named AppGeeker does this fairly quickly: http://www.appgeeker.com/how-to/convert-avi-to-mp4-mac.html

it does the job well and you can easily alter bit rates in the settings to manage the final video size.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Jim.....have you checked your video folder on FB?
I've tried to upload avi vids before and it's said it hasn't uploaded or it has appeared to freeze......but when i've checked the folder it is there just waiting to be shared!

Status
Not open for further replies.