Changing downlighters

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
We want to change the downlighters in the bathrom ceiling, the ones that are currently fitted are the old halogen style and we want to replace them with leds. The old ones have a hole size of 60mm and the ones we want to fit are 72mm. The ceiling is plastic cladding with a cavity of about 100mm above it. What is the best way to make the hole approx 12mm larger. I have a 72mm hole saw but with a hole already in it isn't straight forward ?

spark1

Get a 60mm cutter and screw it inside the 72mm cutter, but you can only do that if you have decent arbor to start with. The arbor is the threaded section that the cutter screws onto and you can screw two cutters on an arbor. Or you can use a padsaw to open up the hole, not difficult either way.

Don't forget all lighting in bathrooms need to be protected by an RCD if your interested to know.

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Think I've got a 60mm cutter too. I'll give that a go. Cheers (y)

Arch

Site Supporter
Padsaw would be my choice. Enlarging an already large hole with another holesaw can be difficult if not done carefully.

Arch

Site Supporter
Shouldn't the 60mm be longer, so it goes in the existing hole first ??

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sound advice above, been there hand done it :upthumb:

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Ended up finding some 57mm downlights at screwfix which fitted straight in the existing holes.

Cheers lads. (y)