Certain fish going with certain methods

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Got myself thinking in another thread does anyone else associate certain fish with certain methods ie some on float some on feeder/lead etc?

Like to me roach, dace, silver bream, rudd, grayling, crucian and tench are float fish as it just fits with them somehow. As quite Wiley fish the more delicate float seems quite fitting whereas it somehow feels lesser in some way to catch them on the feeder with it being a little more crude. Even though I’ve caught plenty of the first three that way although I’ve never caught the last three on feeder. Then as technically a game fish trout feel a bit wrong on any coarse gear but they certainly fit more with float than feeder as has felt really wrong catching them on the latter!

But then with barbel I just think of them as feeder fish as even though I’ve caught them on the float I associate them with sitting behind a feeder rod. Also Bream when they get say 4lb plus I associate as feeder fish but then when they’re under that size I catch just as many if not more on float so see either as fine. Also with perch and chub I think of fishing for them on float and feeder in pretty equal measure. Is more fun on the float but doesn’t feel weird fishing for them on the feeder like it does the aforementioned “float fish”. Would put carp in the same category as well although never actually caught one on the feeder. Both methods seem fitting for that lot as I think of them as a bit more bullish anything goes eating machines.

Anyway bit of a ramble but just intrigued as to whether anyone else has a similarly weird way of thinking 🤔😅

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If I was going to pick a species that I think goes with a certain method, it would be trotting for Chub, even though I catch a lot on the weir on the feeder. I was chatting to a float angler on the Severn and he shares my sentiments and explains it as thus; you can generally tell what fish you have on from the bite on a feeder, whereas on a float you don't know what it is when it goes under.

I'm getting a similar thing when I joke to my mate that he would fish a lift method for Tench on a 100 acre gravel pit, he is more of a purist than me but I see where he's coming from. I'd be happy with one Tench on the waggler compared to 10 on the feeder. With Crucians, I think of small Crucians as a float fish but for bigger Crucians, why not make life easy for yourself and fish a feeder, both for the wait and ease of hooking fish.

The only thing I don't really do much of is feeder fishing for silvers, but with the right set up that can be fun.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I always associate dace and grayling with trotting the stick on a river. Rudd I always associate with catching shallow with a float.

booboo

Site Supporter
I always think of roach as a fish to be caught on the float, but a lot of the most impressive specimens seem to be caught of fairly hefty feeder tactics that I'd associate with big bream fishing

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I always think of roach as a fish to be caught on the float, but a lot of the most impressive specimens seem to be caught of fairly hefty feeder tactics that I'd associate with big bream fishing
There is a romantic image of trotting breadflake for big roach on a river. But Bob James caught his big net of 2lb plus Hampshire Avon roach on a feeder filled with liquidised bread in 'A Passion For Angling' . And on stillwaters it's usually a maggot feeder and a helicopter rig that catches the big ones.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Tench and the 'lift' method.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I get that certain species are more synonymous with certain methods, but one of my bugbears is the train of thought that the only way to catch certain fish is on the float or for specimens sat behind a pair of alarms. I find it normally comes from people who don't catch much themselves.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I always associate bream with the cage feeder, however my best bream sessions have all come on the waggler. Not sure what that says about my feeder skills.

And I always think of chub alongside stick float tactics, or a loafer with breadflake but I catch most of my chub with a straight lead. Go figure hey.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not only is it more fun but also all my best roach have all come on float to waggler and maggot on both on stillwaters, canals and rivers which is perhaps strange on the latter given the vast majority of my river roach come on hemp or tares but my biggest on those baits probably only scrape a pound. Hemp and tares definitely catch a better stamp than maggots but have never produced big ones for me. My biggest feeder roach have also come to maggots on rivers as never caught them on feeder anywhere else but my biggest feeder roach wouldn’t have been much bigger than half the best float ones I’ve had. Not sure I’ve ever caught much bigger than half a pound on bread on either method but my grandad catches quite a few big ones on bread on the feeder from rivers but whenever he catches them he says that would have been nice on the float! For numbers of roach I find float far more effective than feeder as well so the combined with the fun element (being more in touch with them with lighter gear) and there being not much between the two methods size wise makes them a float fish to me.

Despite being a similar species Dace by contrast whilst much more fun on the float so seem to be bigger on feeder for me. Pretty sure I’ve never caught a half pounder on the float but have had them probably not far short of three quarters of a pound on feeder. Also don’t find much difference between the two methods numbers wise with dace either. Still see them as a float fish though as if the average roach isn’t much fun on feeder then the average Dace certainly isn’t.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Got myself thinking in another thread does anyone else associate certain fish with certain methods ie some on float some on feeder/lead etc?

Like to me roach, dace, silver bream, rudd, grayling, crucian and tench are float fish as it just fits with them somehow. As quite Wiley fish the more delicate float seems quite fitting whereas it somehow feels lesser in some way to catch them on the feeder with it being a little more crude. Even though I’ve caught plenty of the first three that way although I’ve never caught the last three on feeder. Then as technically a game fish trout feel a bit wrong on any coarse gear but they certainly fit more with float than feeder as has felt really wrong catching them on the latter!

But then with barbel I just think of them as feeder fish as even though I’ve caught them on the float I associate them with sitting behind a feeder rod. Also Bream when they get say 4lb plus I associate as feeder fish but then when they’re under that size I catch just as many if not more on float so see either as fine. Also with perch and chub I think of fishing for them on float and feeder in pretty equal measure. Is more fun on the float but doesn’t feel weird fishing for them on the feeder like it does the aforementioned “float fish”. Would put carp in the same category as well although never actually caught one on the feeder. Both methods seem fitting for that lot as I think of them as a bit more bullish anything goes eating machines.

Anyway bit of a ramble but just intrigued as to whether anyone else has a similarly weird way of thinking 🤔😅
You’ve summed me up mate, I agree totally.