centrepin mantinance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyts

I bought a shadow landa centrepin from used tackle for a tenner,my first ever centrepin need some help on mantaining it any tips?
and do i use oil or grease? oil gets washed of easier but grease slows it down,im stuck

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
How will oil get washed off?

Sewing machine oil.
[:)]

mattyts

well the mech is realy open and im pretty clumsy,i make sure a rod floats before i buy it
Originally posted by banksy

Sewing machine oil.

mattyts

where can i get sewing machine oil?does motor oil do the same job?
Originally posted by banksy

Sewing machine oil.

BoldBear

You don't normally use grease on centrepins, you use Oil which makes it run smoothly and freely.

Sewing machine oil is bought from one of those wool/sewing shops it is a light and very smooth oil which is perfect for free running centrepins.

If you can't find sewing machine oil then you can use 3-in-1 oil which is nearly as good.

Car oil is a bit too thick and grease is even thicker which is not much use on a free running centrepin.

Don't use WD40 as a lubricant as when it dries it leaves a sticky residue which can clog up the bearings; however WD40 is good for stripping old grease or oil as long as you wipe it off completely afterwards and replaced it with sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 oil.

Last edited:

mattyts

im going into town tommorow to get some sewing oil then,i heard someone say that you only use oil on pins with no bearings,true?
Originally posted by BoldBear

You don't normally use grease on centrepins, you use Oil which makes it run smoothly and freely.

Sewing machine oil is bought from one of those wool/sewing shops it is a light and very smooth oil which is perfect for free running centrepins.

If you can't find sewing machine oil then you can use 3-in-1 oil which is nearly as good.

Car oil is a bit too thick and grease is even thicker which is not much use on a free running centrepin.

Don't use WD40 as a lubricant as when it dries it leaves a sticky residue which can clog up the bearings; however WD40 is good for stripping old grease or oil as long as you wipe it off completely afterwards and replaced it with sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 oil.

BoldBear

Originally posted by mattyts
[brsomeone say that you only use oil on pins with no bearings,trueCar
No mattyts, that is total rubbish, the only lubricant suitable for centrepins is oil regardless of whether the centrepin has bearings or is an old style centrepin without bearings.

I currently have 3 centrepins two of which have bearings and are all very free running; and I use sewing machine oil on all of them.

I can understand someone saying that if your centrepin has 'sealed bearings' then you don't need to oil it but once the bearing seal has worn it will need oiling.

Grease is definately a 'no no'.

Last edited:

mattyts

i only put grease on the pawl mech

can you get any sewing machine oil?

No mattyts, that is total rubbish, the only lubricant suitable for centrepins is oil regardless of whether the centrepin has bearings or is an old style centrepin without bearings.

I currently have 3 centrepins two of which have bearings and are all very free running; and I use sewing machine oil on all of them.

I can understand someone saying that if your centrepin has 'sealed bearings' then you don't need to oil it but once the bearing seal has worn it will need oiling.

mattyts

i found this aswell take a look http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-pre...ryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i only put grease on the pawl mech

can you get any sewing machine oil?

nobby478

miserable old ....
I own a dozen centrepins and fish with them all. I have re-profiled pins and end-play adjustment screws to salvage worn out reels and I'm perfectly happy with good old 3 in 1 Oil for them.

I use cotton buds to clean the hole through the spool and I 'change 'the oil a couple of times a season.

To 'run in' a newly bought or repaired reel, I simply sit and spin it in my lap whilst watching the TV and then give it an oil change.

You can certainly try sewing machine oil or gun oil, if you wish, which are thinner, it's true, but my Speedia spins for 3 minutes on 3 in 1 Oil...that's smooth enough, surely?

Mostly it's about getting the reel to start spinning easily, with little or no effort, and that comes from light spool weight and polished components .... a long spin time is irrelevant, really, but people always like to see it...me included[:I]

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by nobby478
... I simply sit and spin it in my lap whilst watching the TV...

OK, if you say that's what you're doing, we'll believe you.

Best to close the curtains first though, eh ?
[;)]

BoldBear

Originally posted by nobby478

You can certainly try sewing machine oil or gun oil, if you wish, which are thinner, it's true, but my Speedia spins for 3 minutes on 3 in 1 Oil...that's smooth enough, surely?

Mostly it's about getting the reel to start spinning easily, with little or no effort, and that comes from light spool weight and polished components .... a long spin time is irrelevant, really, but people always like to see it...me included[:I]
I've also used 3-in-1 oil for many years on my pins. I have started to use sewing machine oil this season only because It was recommended to me by a friend, but I would be perfectly happy with 3-in-1 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.