Centre pin

matti

Site Supporter
So I've recieved a 14" drennan matchpro float rod as a birthday present, and I would like to put a centrepin on it, but I dont know what to buy, are there any cheaper but reliable reelsworth taking a risk on, or do I need to throw £££ at it to buy a good but expensive reel?, any help is welcomed

solwood

Site Supporter
Simple classic Speedia second hand probably 40 plus yeast old - I have two!

Okuma Sheffield or aventa pro, different styles but as far as I can tell it's the same bearing I also have both of these

Weight wise lightest Speedia okuma I canner v remember but think aventa is lighter

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Well here's 2 I can certainly recommend. Don't let the price fool you, these are an excellent 'pin.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Lewtham Engineering Leeds 5.5" reel - if you like the wider diameter - a definite advantage if you trot long distances and have a lot of line to retrieve
Only available second-hand now - and sell for considerably more than they did when new - think I paid £35 for my first one.

The Marco Contesi centrepins that Used Tackle / Dragon Carp marketed a few years ago were well thought of at the time (unbeatable for the price) and you might pick one of those up for a few quid.

Simon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Lewtham Engineering Leeds 5.5" reel - if you like the wider diameter - a definite advantage if you trot long distances and have a lot of line to retrieve
Only available second-hand now - and sell for considerably more than they did when new - think I paid £35 for my first one.

The Marco Contesi centrepins that Used Tackle / Dragon Carp marketed a few years ago were well thought of at the time (unbeatable for the price) and you might pick one of those up for a few quid.

Simon
Thats the same as the Stillwater Severn...(I have one)(the one in the vid) worth a look and cheap as chips... use the larger diameter Wensum for trotting and the Severn for close in work although in reality both can pass muster for both methods... be aware thay the Stillwater reels do not have line guards... another reel to look at is the Matt Hayes TF Gear classic pin... plenty of used centerpins on ebay too

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Thats the same as the Stillwater Severn...(I have one)(the one in the vid) worth a look and cheap as chips... use the larger diameter Wensum for trotting and the Severn for close in work although in reality both can pass muster for both methods... be aware thay the Stillwater reels do not have line guards... another reel to look at is the Matt Hayes TF Gear classic pin... plenty of used centerpins on ebay too

Not quite the same. Here's the Stillwater Severn...
1567875346055.png

Here's the Stillwater Wensum...

1567875943832.png

And here's the Leeds...

1567875492618.png

Last edited:

Arry

Site Supporter
I said I have the one in the vid... its a dead ringer for the Severn, albeit sans lineguard (I also have a Leeds (I have 24 pins) and you have the captions round the wrong way... the Wensum is the larger narrow drum and the Severn is the 4" wide drum... (I was looking at both in AD this afternoon) I have a version of the Severn.... they are all made by the same company for various firms

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got the Lewis, brilliant bit of kit for £25!!

@matt withers , my advice, don't go overboard and buy an expesnive fancy all singing all dancing thing...go with a cheaper version to start with, get used to it, get used to the way they run, the way you have to fight even a small fish... get used to batting the reel and casting with it..... then, after that you will know for sure f you want to continue with a 'pin, if you do then you can buy something better and start learning the wallace cast ;)

bricky72

Site Supporter
Going back when was a youngster ( lol ) a lot of my fishing was with the old man on Trent and he loved his centrepin fishing he had a Stanton model which if memory serves me well spun forever and a day and line just peeled of it even in slowest of swims then cliff Adcock started selling his and majority of lads in club had one again really well made and spun easily

I could never get on with centre pin was more at home with trusty Abu much to old mans disgust as he was always saying centre pin is real Trent anglers reel
But he did use Abu etc when conditions weren’t right for pin
Just wish I’d kept the original 2 pins he had

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Centrepins very well explained, (including casting)...

Arry

Site Supporter
The Wallis cast is bleedin hard... I have tried for years but still the knack eludes me

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
@Arry start on a lawn and use an 1/2 ounce plummet on the end. With that amount of weight it slows the cast down and you can get the timing right, then once you have the knack use heavy float gear over water and in time with pratice you will be successful.

Arry

Site Supporter
I've tried for years with leads & float,... Its summat that I just can't master

jpwebster

I'll second the Lewtham Leeds reel, great for long trotting with a stick float. Me old man managed to get a couple off ebay for £25 each, they still pop up quite often. There is a guy on ebay that has recently started making them that goes by Lewtham Products if you wanted to buy one brand new although they are about £80 for the 5.5" ones.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The Wallis cast is bleedin hard... I have tried for years but still the knack eludes me

It's something that you might never get if you try to do it in splendid isolation. I certainly couldn't crack it with the benefit of just tutorial videos. Half an hour or so with someone that knows what they are doing is well worth it. I'm no master of it, but I can do it now. A bit of coaching made the world of difference. It appears simple enough when watching, but it's a matter of fairly precise timing and practice to get anything approaching right. I'd also suggest that many make it even more difficult for themselves by using floats that are far too light. I also find longer rods and certain actions also make things easier. Using different reels can also have a significant impact.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@matt withers I was in the same position you are. I have a 15' Cadence float rod that i bought for the Trent and I fancied using a centrepin I was fortunate to find one on Facebook group and picked up a 1950's/60's JW Young Rapidex 4 1/2 inch for £20. I haven't used it yet as it needs a good clean & oil. I'm looking forward to using it though not sure about the Wallis cast though, I think I will start with a underarm/side cast using the 'line draw' method as I can recall using exactly that cast on the canal as a youngster.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
The wallis cast is similar just that the reel keeps giving line to extend the cast. Just remember to stop the thing !

Arry

Site Supporter
The Wallis cast on a rapidex may ptove difficult as the spool lip is set within the cage