Cefn Mably

Gwillim

Having searched the forums I see that there have been several mentions of this venue by various members so just wondering if there is anyone on here who fishes it on a regular basis?

The reason I ask is I intend to get back on the bank after a few years lay off due to ill health and intend to start using this venue on a regular basis although it will mostly be during the week but thought it would be a good opportunity to meet up with any other MD'ers who use the venue on a regular basis :)

Any information/advice on current tactics, baits, methods or which lakes to fish is also very welcome :)

Although probably outdated (no probably about it lol) I have most gear such as Daiwa seat box with legs and mudfeet, float and feeder rods and a pole etc

Many thanks in advance :)

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Hi Gwillim, I was in a similar position to you about 12 years ago after I had not fished for around 10 years due to arthritis in both knees. , I had both knees replaced and wanted somewhere that allowed easy access. I've been fishing Cefn Mably a few times a year since. If you want general coarse / F1 carp fishing you can fish The Willow Pond, Match Pond and Bridge Pond. Bigger carp are found in the Lodge, Carp, Spring and Horseshoe Lakes. Current general full day ticket will cost £9.50, after 3pm that drops to £7.00. The ponds can get busy on weekdays during school holidays with ‘lads and dads' and at weekends but during school terms in school term time it's much quieter. On Wednesdays there is an over 50's match usually on the Match Pond but it is sometimes fished on the Bridge, you just ask in the Lodge when you arrive and pay for your ticket.

When I returned to fishing most of my gear was at least 15 years old and not best suited to fishing a commercial fishery but I've replaced it with more suitable gear piecemeal over the years.

I had a short 3hr session on the Match Pond on Tuesday afternoon this week, method feeder to the island with hard pellet as hookbait and groundbait on the feeder, then swapped to the pole in the margins again with hard pellet. The first hour was very frustration as I had 7 good bites, 7 good fish on and 7 fish that slipped the hook. I ended up with just 5 carp and a single hand sized skimmer, the smallest carp about 4lb and the biggest about 10lb.

Hope this helps.
John

Gwillim

Thanks John, much appreciated :)

There's nothing better than information from someone who fishes a venue regularly, not quite hit the 50 yet (next year) so ill qualify for the matches by the time I am back in the swing of things :) health wise i'm on the up at the moment thankfully, developed epilepsy in 2013 so that didn't mix well with fishing and then during tests and examinations for that I was found to have spondylitis of the spine, then last year I had surgery and chemo for bladder cancer so getting on the bank has been difficult, have managed a few sessions here and there but now I am aiming to try and get on the bank once a week :) will be general coarse for me, I much prefer to catch plenty of smaller fish and keep busy than wait around for one big lump, not to worried about my kit as its only really my box that I will look to change for something better in the future and update terminal tackle etc as I go as I can never resist a few extra bits whenever I go in the shop to get my bait lol

Thanks again for the reply and information much appreciated (y)

G