Caught my first Pike today . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Hurrah!

Well it's only a Jackpike but it's still a Pike innit ? [;)]

I'd originally planned to fish the River Foss basin in York, but that plan was scuppered thanks to the rising river levels.

So off to Pottery Lane Strensall, I arrived at 09.20 and the car park was empty, remembering some advice I'd been given on this forum leave most of your gear in the car and move round the pegs with your lure/plug setup, if you get any takes setup there.

This spot looked as if it might produce but it wasn't to be

Datafile2.jpg

After a while I settled on peg 30 which had recently been dug out to a depth of about 2 metres.

Datafile2.jpg

I launched out my dayglo orange Big S and on the 1st retrieval I hooked this little un ! [:D]

Datafile2.jpg

Upon trying to unhook the fish I realised the lure had barbed hooks [V], don't know why I hadn't realised sooner, anyway I got him unhooked and released then nipped in the barbs with my pliers.

Within 35 mins I had another bite but that one got off thanks to me giving too much slack and not having barbs

Whilst having a cuppa and a pipe the owner turned up to empty his "takings" box .... only my fiver for his pocket, he wandered over to me with a shotgun under his arm and we chatted for a while, he then asked me to "knock" any Jackpikes on the head as he wants to keep the numbers down.

WAIT . . . there's more [:D]

Datafile2.jpg

YES [:)], I caught another Jackpike .... hahahaha !

I had also set up a deadbait rod on the peg behind me but that didn't provide anything of interest, never mind.

Well I enjoyed my day, I'd lost my nice dayglo Big S on a snag bit I'd landed a couple of Jacks.

Anyone got a Jackpike recipe [;)][;)]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

www.aa-computerrescue.co.uk

cpk1979

Hi Andy,

I fished the Potteries on Sunday with two of mny mates and we had a cracking day we had a 21.5lb and a 19.5lb, some jacks and loads of runs.

I must say what a top class pond this is and I can't wait for the summer to try for the old carp!

Do you know of any other pike waters in that area?

Chris.

AndyA

Hi cpk,

I don't know of any other Piking venues apart from Foss Basin, have you tried that ?.

What peg were you fishing from ? and what did you catch on ?, I could do with any tips.

You planning to go again?.

fishing_mad

Originally posted by AndyA

Hurrah!
, he then asked me to "knock" any Jackpikes on the head as he wants to keep the numbers down.

did he mean kill them is that legal

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's his fishery fm, he can do what he wants with the stock as they're his.
Not an ideal situation and certainly an emotive one but if the owner is responsible, he might have good reason for requesting so.

Dave

cpk1979

Hi,

The owner seems pretty switched and treasures his silver fish as much as the wicked pike in there. Although i did not enjoyed it we took some of the smaller pike when we were there at his request. The pond has such a selection of fish I can see why he wants rid of some of the jacks. Apparenlty he has a program of leaving them one year then taking some out the next.

Andy,

We were fishing the corner pegs as you park up walk staight down the side of the lake and we were on the last three pegs. The pike came to float fished mackeral / eels tails fished over depthed. (see this months IPYCF Matt Hayes does a report on the rig) I had one, that I estimate much bigger then the 20's by freelining a small dead jack about 8 oz. no more then 3 foot out. The pike showed it self a few times then the hooks pulled out. To be honest I would not of like to mess with it if i did catch it! It was a right angry mrs.

As for the River Foss, I have never tried it. I come from near Sunderland and travel down your way most weekends but are never sure of where we can and can't fish especially the rivers. Any advice would be appreciated.
[:)]

Chris.

AndyA

Hang on a sec fishing_mad you are making out that I said the above Hurrah! & knocking Jackpikes on the head in the same statement, therefore implying that I was pleased to be killing Pike !, when actually you have joined 2 seperate comments together [:(!]

Come on mate, play fair [;)]

The reason behind the owners Jackpike policy, is that a number of Anglers who are fishing for Silver fish have reported their hooked fish being attacked on retrieval, the owner also wants to keep the Jackpike numbers down to stop the venue being generaly spoilt and also to keep the big Pike dominent.

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
Nice one andy good report mate and congrats on first pike

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

everyready

what about seting up a dead jack for the biger pike they are ment to like them .i have found pike tast like dirt and would soner return to them to water as most of us would do.

RoyC

Hi Andy
Well done mate,you should come down to the South East
There,s some big mothers down here (That is Pike)lol

Roy (He Who Dare,s Go,s Fishing)

Status
Not open for further replies.