Caught any unusual fish?

Skridlov

I thought I'd start this off with one of my own - of which I've caught a few. The Southern Blackfish (Gadopsis marmoratus) which is native to Southern Australia but I caught them in Tasmania many times. I'm not sure how big they grow but I never saw one over about a half pound. Tasmania, where I lived for a few years, has a strange situation with freshwater fish. Apart from the Blackfish there's only a couple of varieties of Galaxias including a spotted variety that looks a bit like a trout. I never caught one of these but apparently there's a growing trend to catch them with flies. Apart from those I think there are only various introduced European freshwater species including, inevitably, Trout. Those introduced into Lake Pedder - which was created, destructively, for a hydroelectric scheme - have grown to enormous sizes, although I've not fished there. Whilst I'm about it, when I lived in Tas in the 70s, in the bush on the west coast, we used to also catch freshwater Crayfish which grew to a fair size. These were equipped with sizeable claws whereas on the marine equivalent, which is abundant off that coast, they are almost vestigial. Both varieties are delicious.... but nowadays you'd be fined a couple of thousand dollars for eating the freshwater variety. I've eaten about $50K's worth.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Bitterling from Decoy's Horseshoe lake. Pumpkinseed fish from lakes in France and Belgium. The ones in Belgium helped me win a match and trophy when my club fished against a British Army club.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Caught pumpkinseed fish here in Essex, down at Churchgate fishery in the 90's

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends what your definition of an unusual fish is really are we talking looks or unexpected captures?

If looks then I caught a cownose Ray once which seemed a strange thing to catch as they look a bit like mini manta's so you'd think they were filter feeders. Then have had had a few bonnet heads which are certainly a bit funny looking with their funny shaped head.

Strangest thing in this country would probably be sand smelt as whilst they are a perfectly normal fish shape their colouration makes them look almost translucent.

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Something green with teeth in the Ascension lsland 1982.

adriang

Site Supporter
I caught a few puffer fish when fishing the bay area of Brisbane. I remember one that 'puffed up' so much while I was unhooking it, that when I returned it, it was floating and promptly got picked up by a gull.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I caught a few puffer fish when fishing the bay area of Brisbane. I remember one that 'puffed up' so much while I was unhooking it, that when I returned it, it was floating and promptly got picked up by a gull.
Oh yes forgot about puffers, caught a couple different sorts of those, certainly strange things although I don’t recall them properly puffing up for me unfortunately

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I caught a red gurnard off the coast (Hurst Castle) once. Beautiful thing and quite a surprise at the time.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have had a good few Pumkinseeds from a small pond in the northeast, apparently a local pet shop was closing and he dumped his stock of coldwater fish in this pond , once the Pumpkinseeds got to about 6 inches they give a lively fight

rudd

Site Supporter
Plenty of cross strains know as fukcnose fish in these parts.

What you caught? ####nose!

SUFC

When I was a kid, I used to go fishing on the river Sheaf, in Sheffield. No word of a lie, I used to catch guppies. I have a theory that they were released (accidentally or otherwise) from a nearby aquarium shop. They seemed to thrive in the relatively warm water near plant cooling water outlets of the steelworks.

Last edited:

SUFC

Full of people swimming now have seen a terrapin in there in past as well as carp crusing around
And we hear so much in the news nowadays about people getting into trouble when swimming in open waters. The mind boggles.