Caught any carp yet mate ? DOH !!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I like carp (more commons than mirrors) and obviously crucians (who doesn't!) but mix the two and get an f1 and it doesn't do anything for me personally. That's a good point on grassies I'm not sure how the carp antis feel about them. They don't particularly interest me but I wouldn't mind catching one just to say I'd caught one.
There's six in one of our club ponds that suffers badly with weed (they haven't eaten it yet!). Nobody has actually landed one although they've been hooked many times. They take off like torpedoes apparently.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There's six in one of our club ponds that suffers badly with weed (they haven't eaten it yet!). Nobody has actually landed one although they've been hooked many times. They take off like torpedoes apparently.

They’re built like torpedos tbf!

Silver fan 82

Just got back from a short session on a local club lake. Was struggling for bites today. Along came the bailiff, nice chap, quite helpful. "Had much mate?"
"Only a skimmer around 12oz" I replied.
I then went on to tell him about the great session I had there last week catching Bream averaging 3 - 4lb and the nice hybrid I caught.
"Any carp at all?" he replied. I had to smile to myself as I instantly thought of this thread. "No" was my reply.
People just can't help but ask.
Then a bit later a bloke comes over to me, he wasn't fishing but was thinking about buying a day ticket.
"What's it like mate?" he asked.
"Good" I said. I then went on to tell him about the stock of the lake. Before I had finished he asked "Any carp in here?" ?

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Reading this again a few weeks after a silvers session with my son at Pool Bridge Farm outside York. Three lads who obviously couldn’t buy a carp between them wandering around asking if we’d caught any as we landed silver after silver after silver.

I don’t get it either.

Myopia 🤷🏻‍♂️

crackatoa

Site Supporter
The syndicate we are members of has a 25 peg match canal and a 3acre lake with a lot of Carp up to 20Lbs. We were fishing the canal a couple of weeks ago and catching plenty of small Carp to 5lbs as well as some decent F1's. Just as we have been doing all winter, even after breaking the ice.
3 guys who would normally go on the big lake turned up to fish the canal and decided to fish method feeders across. Bearing in mind it was very cold, we were feeding and catching on maggot. These 3 must have moved pegs a couple of times each and never got a bite between them. As they were leaving, after only a couple of hours they asked how come we were catching, when they were actually 'proper Carp anglers' and didn't manage to get a bite. I had been watching them, constantly pinging in 6mm pellet as well as chucking 40g feeders. I didn't want to spend an age trying to explain, so I just told them they over did it with the feed. Obviously, they didn't agree and claimed that we were just lucky because the fish were in front of us. At which point my lad replied with "You drove them there" lol.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'd take almost anything at the moment. Haven't caught a fish since December, haven't had a half decent days fishing since November and haven't had a good days fishing since October 😅

R0B

Chap with a camera walks up whilst I'm lure fishing the GU for perch and asks if he can take a picture as the light and shadow were favourable - I let him. He then goes on to explain that the swim a bit further up is very good fishing and I should try it next (I know it well and have never caught anything at all in it, whilst everywhere else produces) in fact it's so good he's seen a bloke catch "a lot of carp" there once. Righto. Moving along.

Same venue, same target. Some youths ask if I have caught anything - I told them what I had caught. "Any carp though?". Hope not, I'm not fishing for them. "Oh" then they exchanged glances as if to say "we've got a right noddy here" and off they went. :ROFLMAO:.

In the local post office collecting a parcel which is a box with "Angling Direct" emblazoned all over it. Postmaster is a chatty guy and jokes there's live maggots in there (of course there isn't, it's terminal tackle for roach on the river). He ends with "honestly mate I hope you catch a big carp".

I despair.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
personally i dont mind, i dont expect them to know if they arent fisher people!

couple of week ago i was on teh beach just practicing some pendulum casting so a rod, radio and nothing else, no bag no nothing (if i cracked off i would walk 150yds home lol) and people were asking me if i caught anything even after me casting and reeling in straight away and casting again!

no biggie and a couple of people even looked at me weird when i said i wasnt fishing, just practising casting lol

rudd

Site Supporter
Nothing like going up to day ticket carp anglers (after a member has told me the said angler have not caught) and asking caught any Roach?
No mate fishing for Carp!
There arnt any in here its a silvers only pool 😂😂😂
The look on their faces!
Of course, I am fibbing as there are Carp in there, just not easy to catch.

rudd

Site Supporter
personally i dont mind, i dont expect them to know if they arent fisher people!

couple of week ago i was on teh beach just practicing some pendulum casting so a rod, radio and nothing else, no bag no nothing (if i cracked off i would walk 150yds home lol) and people were asking me if i caught anything even after me casting and reeling in straight away and casting again!

no biggie and a couple of people even looked at me weird when i said i wasnt fishing, just practising casting lol
When a mate sold me an Ian Golds Igloo I got really strange looks one Saturday summers day whilst practicing putting it up the beach (on way home)!