catfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

se mc

there is a local club water that holds a few moggys.only a few fish for them but without sucess.they say liver is producing lots of runs but no hook ups any hints or tips

se mc

Carper

Use a big boilie 20mm,the smeller the better,find out where the cats hold up and stick @ it..How big r the cats???

The bigger the better

P.B.... 17.5 lb mirror

se mc

hi carper

there is 20 pounders the pond is quite small but holds most course fish.i have fished it for a few years but not for cats

i have only had 1 cat of 8.5lbs and that was fishing the waggler on 4lb line and a 14 hook on a small peace of meat.i had nearly a hunderd pound of tench and carp that day maybe the frantic tench and carp action lured it in to the smim

cheers

ste mc

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi se mc,

One bit of advice that I was given regarding cats was not ot strike during a run.
They have very soft mouths and once they pick up the bait they wil run with it, try striking and you'll either snap off or pull out.
Instead wait until the run has finished and then lift into the fish setting the hook this way.

I'm no expert with moggies but had one on once

Dave

(Or did it have me, lol)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
All the advice I have seen and read lists live bait at the top of it. Normally fished shallow. You could try as suggested a boilie with pellet as feed possibley trout pellet.
The one and only cat I have caught came to a boilie this after fishing small dead roach half the night and being subjected to numerous missed runs. Apart from a perch which like an IDIOT I did not weigh. After catching a PB tench later that night I realised just how big that perch may have been over 3lb I reckon.
Another suggested bait is squid, 2 of us did have several half hearted runs on it at Elvington.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Couple of baits to try

Squid (remember to remove the "back bone".

Really smelly cheese moulded into a ball.

Chicken leg (yes i am serious)

Or live baits (Eel are a favourite) & as Esox said fish it close to the surface.

Remember in cat fishin you don't get screamers you get "steamers" cos striking into a cat on its primary run is like trying to stop a steam train with cotton

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

se mc

cheers chaps

just off to asda for some smelly goodies to try and tempt some mogwats tommorw with are paul .we will be useing a least 2 rods each so i think we will try most of your suggestions i will let you no how we get on

once again cheers

ste mc

Carper

In france the men use small carp/tench/eel......Please don't use this hear,try boilies or something smellie here in the uk..

The bigger the better

P.B.... 17.5 lb mirror

doughnut

Livebait is one of the best cat baits mate!

Try ledgered roach fished with a polyball on the line so the roach keeps going higher in the water and then diving back down..... while I was carping last week I watched 3 thirty's and two twenties all come out to that method, all the anglers using static baits blanked.

Remember only to use livebait caught from the lake your fishing.

C'ya, Robin.

catman

fishing a bait on the top will give you a better advantage. using the bouy rig with a weak link attached.keep your line tight as this aids to help hook the cat.make sure you use enough weight to keep the bouy in one place. and use hooks to the size of bait ratio,six inch fish 4.0s hook this is only an example. but here on the ebro we use size 8.0s trebles and singles. braid will give you the upper edge on holding the fish and aiding you to cut throught the weed.fish near to trees and obsticales on the bottom any snags big enough for the cats to get under will be your best bet. there are many rigs to use for catfish.hope this turns out the bouy rig. picture

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Get a tin a cat food (any brand) and mush it up great groundbait (good for chub too)! never fished for cat's before but it cant fail.

cosmicgunge

catman

granjuiceymoose Life Member tell ya what come over to the ebro and you will need at least 20 crates of tin food mate lol these cats will laugh at one tin maybe a few small kittens thrown in for good measure may make them less hungry. lolso long as it is kit e kat. dont swim here they dont like people they cant chew then fast enough. one more lost the other night 18 of november broke the 110.00lbs braid dyneema again erm now stepping up to 180.00lbs and a bigger float.

fishing_mad

if legder use a floating bead or piece of polostyrene to keep the bait of the flore

[:)]delighted fisherman[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.