Catching trees with the waggler..

turnpike

Go easy on me I only started fishing this summer..

Im trying to get into waggler fishing to go along side my 11m pole. With an 11ft rod I've tried 3 commercials near me and I always find I'm losing tackle in trees over hanging to the sides of the peg. If nothing else it puts me off my casting. What do people do in this situation? Could I just be casting badly? Or is it often just the case that there isn't room for anything other than say a 9' rod?

Trying not to put myself off and just go back to pole!

Cheers!

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Great advice from Lee. Like yourself, I’ve only just started again after a long break and my confidence with casting is low. I tend to sway towards a peg which will cause me the least amount of trouble. It is one less thing to worry about and allows you to focus on the basics of casting and if you’re spending more time in the water, you have more chance to catch. I also spent half an hour at the end of the session on Sunday, just practising my casting over and over again, trying to hit different areas of my swim. In the long run I think it will help.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just experiment with different styles of casting and you'll find ways of doing it to suit any swims. You might have to compromise on range but provided there's reasonable depth not too far out that won't matter.

I next to never float fish with rods less than 13ft and in all but the cosiest swims there's always a way of casting in them. I often hook a couple bushes before I find right way of doing it but that's part and parcel of learning!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Everybody hooks overhanging stuff at some time. There is no easy way to avoid it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Did it myself on the feeder the other day. Hook caught a tree, feeder still landed in the water around more or less where I wanted it as a shortish river cast, so a loop of line going down to the feeder and then back up to the tree. Fished for about 5 minutes before realising when I went to wind in.

Total

Site Supporter
Did it myself on the feeder the other day. Hook caught a tree, feeder still landed in the water around more or less where I wanted it as a shortish river cast, so a loop of line going down to the feeder and then back up to the tree. Fished for about 5 minutes before realising when I went to wind in.

:oops:;):ROFLMAO:

Stewie74

Site Supporter
In 5 weeks since returning to angling I've lost 4 method feeders and 2 floats to a variety of trees, bushes, shrubs, in front of, behind and above me. I even managed to hit myself on the back of the head with a fully baited method feeder once, thankfully I had the lake pretty much to myself at the time.

Keep practicing, it will get easier (or so I keep telling myself)

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
If you are in a really tight swim, that is impossible to cast from, try using the underhand cast, It's a very overlooked method that can make the difference.
As a lad we use to use it on the canal to cast a waggler to land underneath overhanging tree cover on the far bank. Really satisfying to zoom a waggler just above the surface and have it land where would be in-accessible using an overhand cast,

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Before you sit down and tackle up you should always "risk assess" your chosen position because like a lot of things if there is a chance of catching a tree at some point you will do. :p
Feeder fishing can go down to 8 foot rods if necessary float fishing with a short rod can be more difficult depending on depth.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gave me an idea. I will decorate the christmas tree with floats of all sort. Dibbers on top, and the bodied waggler and pike floats closer to the floor. Some fine stick and pole floats in between. That would be nice!
@sly already holds the copyright on that and even tops things off with a fine assortment of feeders for added variety. ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If you are in a really tight swim, that is impossible to cast from, try using the underhand cast, It's a very overlooked method that can make the difference.
As a lad we use to use it on the canal to cast a waggler to land underneath overhanging tree cover on the far bank. Really satisfying to zoom a waggler just above the surface and have it land where would be in-accessible using an overhand cast,
Reckon a good 50% of my waggler casting is underhand, I find it perfectly sufficient up to a couple rod lengths out in the right swims ??

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
A question I need to ask is whether the trees you are catching are to the side or overhead? How are you casting, over your head or to the side?