catching chub in winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmer

just a little tip on chub fishing in winter.Anyone wanting to catch chub in winter one of the best baits is lamprey section used by pike anglers. there might be a few sceptics out there who think im pulling there leg but try it and see.Obviously if ther are any pike about they could be a problem but lamprey comes in to its own in winter for [:D][:D][:D][:D]catching big chub. so go on give it a go and see[:)][:)][:)][:D]

norm

nice one palmer

i coming to get ya teeeeppeeeeeeee

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
What sort of hook should be used for that then? because a lamprey section could be any size more info plz. Tackle etc! Are Sprats any good?

Tight lines [:D]

palmer

i use a small treble hook just as u would for pike fishing because using pike bait chances r u will eventually hook one.Lamprey is the only bait i have had any success with i think its because its so potent and oily but give it a go and see

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Palmer, a word of warning using trebles can be dangerous if used for any species but pike. If theres a breakage the treble can stitch the throat up causing slow starvation and death. I would recommend singles and using a baiting needle to thread the line thru the lamprey section. Alternatively a pennel rig could be used just as effectively.
Small sections of sardine have been used on still waters for years to target the big chub.

chill out go fishing

Larry

Lazarus
Ican vouch for lamprey for Chub ,We used to go down to Lincombe Weir below Stourport on Severn .A mate used get to whole lamrey's we used to wade out to the island in the middle of the River had some lovely bag's of Chub virtually a fish a chuck.But this 35yrs ago don't know wether it would work today or if the Chub are still there.

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Status
Not open for further replies.