Catches on unusual baits

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This thread has probably been done before so my apologies but I'll see how this one goes.

Yesterday I caught a 5oz Perch on a 15mm Pacific Tuna boilie, hooked cleanly in top lip with bait in its mouth! Maybe less unusually I've had an Eel on the same bait and a couple of Pike on Hinders Dumbbells.

I've said before about Perch, they will take anything and spit it out if they don't like it, but others recall seeing sweetcorn and stuff down their throats so who knows?

What's the most unexpected species you've caught on an unexpected bait?

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Caught a tiny Dace on an 18mm boilie, didn't eat the boilie but managed to hang itself on my size 10 curve shank hook.

Also caught a perch on a robin red pellet as i was retrieving.

Aztecca

Many years ago a freind I was fishing with caught a 8oz perch on a crusty boggie.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Had a small carp on a little mepps style spinner once when chasing perch - had stopped retrieving for some reason so it had hit bottom and the second I started again there must have been a fish snuffling next to it that sucked it in.

Rob F

Site Supporter
Way back when, in my junior school days, we could catch little roach from the bridge over the flood dyke using a handline and bits of red wool on the hook.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Had a small carp on a little mepps style spinner once when chasing perch - had stopped retrieving for some reason so it had hit bottom and the second I started again there must have been a fish snuffling next to it that sucked it in.
Carp eat fry

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Young lad had several f1s on gumi bears at a club water last year which made me laugh.
Pellet lickers got tongues stuck on the things! 🤪

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I have seen decent sized bass taken on bacon rind attached to handlines dangled in gaps in breakwaters by grockles as I sat eating lunch with £xxx kit/lures next to me and bugger all bites all morning 🤣

spc123

Son yesterday hooked a nice common yesterday using a bit of bacon left over from his Tesco meal deal sandwich

Chervil

Site Supporter
2 lb Mirror on a bare hook whilst sorting out the shot on the line. I presume it saw it falling through the water and just grabbed it. It was a bit of a surprise!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
A top angler that I know has caught by using the heads off Jelly Babies. I've caught Chub on cold chips.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This thread has probably been done before so my apologies but I'll see how this one goes.

Yesterday I caught a 5oz Perch on a 15mm Pacific Tuna boilie, hooked cleanly in top lip with bait in its mouth! Maybe less unusually I've had an Eel on the same bait and a couple of Pike on Hinders Dumbbells.

I've said before about Perch, they will take anything and spit it out if they don't like it, but others recall seeing sweetcorn and stuff down their throats so who knows?

What's the most unexpected species you've caught on an unexpected bait?
Sea fishing in Australia, bacin rinds

mbuna_matt

Site Supporter
Probably an unusual one, my daughter was very young and dangling a magnet off the edge of a slip way. A daft little perch had the damn thing stuck in its mouth 5 minutes later........ and she landed it much to our shock!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Chub on raisins when I was young. I asked my mum for some bread - but she just had some stale fruitcake spare ... the raisins were the only thing that stayed on the hook - but were pretty effective!
Also caught lots of chub on big black slugs in the same period (early 80s) ... although that is a pretty well known bait,

WickerDave

Site Supporter
An 8oz perch on floating crust.

A 7lb carp on a bare hook with a swan shot pinched on the line directly above it when plumbing the depth.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
4lb bream on virtually off the top on bread (it had literally just sunk below the surface) and nearly a 3lb bream on a mepps spinner but it threw the hook. Then a perch on corn, carp on jelly babies, sticks, leaves and bare hooks and rudd, bleak and chublet on bare hooks and as of a week and a bit ago a gudgeon on hemp and as of Friday a crayfish on hemp.