Status
Not open for further replies.

koi kid

hi im new here could someone give me some tips on how to catch tench[:)]

w taylor

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Hi koi kid and welcome to MDS.

I'm not an expert on catching Tench or anything else for that matter. I'd suggest you do a SEARCH (in the menu on the top right-hand side) and see waht you can find. I'd limit the search to the Species Specific Forum to start. TIP - Tick the Archived Posts box to search everything that's ever been in the Forum.

Good luck.

AlanP

everyready

last week i think martin did one on tench, fishing choped worm on hook over caster choped worm small amounts this time of year

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by everyready

last week i think martin did one on tench, fishing choped worm on hook over caster choped worm small amounts this time of year

Welcome to the mad world of MaggotDrowning.

Chopped worm and caster works for me any time of the year, especially on my local canal. But then I have also caught them on maggot, mussels, sweetcorn, pellet and luncheon meat.

One thing I have found, they do like a static bait, so if I am deliberately going after tench I tend to fish 2 inches over depth when I am float fishing. I rarely ledger so I couldn't comment there.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Last edited:

joe1987

'Darwener'
This time of year, or any other for that matter I would fish a cagefeeder with brown crumb, dont bother with sensas stuff ive found it hasnt made much difference, sml amount of sweetcorn and somre kind of pellet, caster, maybe chopped worm mixed in. A 2ft hooklink in winter so you can feel shy bites and maggot or caster or sweetcorn or lob/redworm on the hook. Keep changing baits to see which ones produce bites. If there are lilies where you fish get your feeder right in close to them.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

brady

if your just targeting tench go easy on the bait if its a commercial fishery and the carp move in the tench wont get a look

iobrien2002

Paddy
for tench i hav 2 ways that normally work. either leger sweetcorn using 8 lb line and a size 8 hook or float fish maggot to 4 lb line and size 8 hook.
good luck

I.O'Brien

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by iobrien2002

for tench i hav 2 ways that normally work. either leger sweetcorn using 8 lb line and a size 8 hook or float fish maggot to 4 lb line and size 8 hook.
good luck

I.O'Brien

Never use anchors, largest hook I ever use tench fishing is a 14, mind you I only ever fish for tench on the Neath canal (except at Elvington). 55 tench last year, but biggest only about 3 lb.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
hi i agree with all the above, but i've also found they're partial to very small cubes of luncheon meat, i had great sucess in the summer months using this method, and sweetcorn.

martin.

Account Locked
on the pole with worm on the hook over chopped worm & caster normally fish between 2 & 6" overdepth hooksize dependent on bait size.
if you do a search youll find ive had some good nets of tench in winter inc 19 for 69lb, 11 for 47lb,
Forgot to mention every 2-3 mins slowly drag float about 4-6" sideways this causes the bait to just flutter on bottom & very often can result in a bite
NOTE if your using lobworm on hook when float does sail away count to 3 -5 before you strike.

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.