Catapult Pouches

Maverick

Site Supporter
I must admit I don't give catapults much thought. I own 2. The Drennan Team England with the red medium elastic and the Drennan Revolution with the orange strong elastic.

I never use the revolution as I cant fire pellets any further than the Team England one does, and I find no matter how I try to use it I can't get it to group the bait as well as the other catapult. So for me when it comes to firing hard pellets it's the Team England all the way.

Today however I was fishing Bomb & Sweetcorn. If I fired one piece at a time I could be pretty accurate however If I tried to fire 2 or more pieces at once they sprayed all over the place.

Got me wondering If there was a better pouch more suited to sweetcorn. So If any of you catapult sweetcorn on a regular basis which pouch have you found works the best?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I prefer a soft pouch with a puller string.

Simon R

Site Supporter
What I use (for rod and line) I don't think you can get hold of any more and that's the flat mesh pouch - although it ain't actually a pouch as it's flat.

I use it with the original Drennan Feederpult (the black frame) and have never used anything that keeps feed tighter.
Quick Google search has revealed nothing but this is about the closest:

Do away with the puller provided - you need to be able to grip the feed between your fingers so it exits the catapult grouped tightly together and, normally, enters the water in the same fashion.

Simon

Last edited:

fasteddy

Sweetcorn isn't exactly aerodynamic, and the grains tend to be different sizes/weights, so it's always going to be a problem, the further you try to fire it, the worse it gets. I use the Drennan team England with the soft blue elastic, and generally fire one piece at a time.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Sweetcorn isn't exactly aerodynamic, and the grains tend to be different sizes/weights, so it's always going to be a problem, the further you try to fire it, the worse it gets. I use the Drennan team England with the soft blue elastic, and generally fire one piece at a time.
How long does it take you to get through a tin mate? Or is that why you are called 'Fast Eddy' :p:p:p

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Try drying the sweetcorn off, I have found trying to catapult glugged baits sometimes is nightmare. Just thinking any coating, now matter how sticky may encourage sticking of baits.

fasteddy

How long does it take you to get through a tin mate? Or is that why you are called 'Fast Eddy' :p:p:p
:LOL: maybe, but I only fish rivers and the broads, so mostly I'm introducing bait via a feeder, if fishing a float, I'm only looking to introduce a few samples, not a big bed of bait.

Maverick

Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies lads. Some good tips there that I hadn't considered. (y)

rudd

Site Supporter
You could do away with catapult.
Use a quick link to connect hooklenght.
Tie a hooklength with a fairly wide sewing needle or short length of wire (biggish sea hooks cut off at bend work well) instead of a hook- bent at end.
Thread on corn - the turn(bend) holds it on.
Cast to spot, when bomb hits bottom give a sharp strike so corn comes off wire/needle.
If you have one its best done with a second clipped up rod.

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
You could do away with catapult.
Use a quick link to connect hooklenght.
Tie a hooklength with a fairly wide sewing needle or short length of wire (biggish sea hooks cut off at bend work well) instead of a hook- bent at end.
Thread on corn - the turn(bend) holds it on.
Cast to spot, when bomb hits bottom give a sharp strike so corn comes off wire/needle.
If you have one its best done with a second clipped up rod.
Is that what they used to call a 'stringer'?

rudd

Site Supporter
Its how it was done before pva, think I learnt this trick from an AT article.

It may have been called ' The stinger' due to needle or old hook being used!