Catapult choice

Simon R

Site Supporter
Was the Reddicat the one with a single piece of elastic that ran through both arms?
Came out about thirty years ago?

I had one and thought it was rubbish - I don't remember ever chucking it out though so it may be languishing somewhere at the back of the shed.
I suspect it may be just the frame but I'm planning on doing a bit of spider eviction next week so if I come across it I'll let you know

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with the Drennan range - I use these:

Simon

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Any of the Drennan range, although I do miss my Woppa-Droppa, can't find any laccy for it anywhere, or a spare pouch.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
All three of my Drennans are about ten years old or more - I just buy replacement elastic as and when needed, however I also replaced one set of elastic with hollow pole elastic and that's done the job well too.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ Definitely.....(y)(Although I rarely fish a long pole now due to a buggered back.....)

With respects to Martin (OP) the Reddicat was a decent catty in both it's forms, it was still capable of firing bait everywhere if you wasn't careful.....:giggle::deal::help:
Don’t know why but, I never had a reddicat Mark 🤷‍♂️ Sometimes I think it maybe a area thing you know. They don’t let us poor northerners have any of the posh gear you lot get. 😁

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Any of the Drennan range, although I do miss my Woppa-Droppa, can't find any laccy for it anywhere, or a spare pouch.
I had a whopperdropper Peter. It had square elastic 🤷‍♂️ Bought it from Bullers in Barnsley in the 70’s. They were all the rage at the time. Quite a good pult. 👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I had a whopperdropper Peter. It had square elastic 🤷‍♂️ Bought it from Bullers in Barnsley in the 70’s. They were all the rage at the time. Quite a good pult. 👍
That's the one. The 'name' on it was Trevor Tomlinson. I still have the frame and pouch, but only half the elastic.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That's the one. The 'name' on it was Trevor Tomlinson. I still have the frame and pouch, but only half the elastic.
Did yours have square elastic Peter ? Not seen it since. Wouldn’t it be nice to go back in time and visit shops like Calcotts, Bullers, Bennett’s and even Cleggy’s and have a rummage through the old stock. 👍

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Did yours have square elastic Peter ? Not seen it since. Wouldn’t it be nice to go back in time and visit shops like Calcotts, Bullers, Bennett’s and even Cleggy’s and have a rummage through the old stock. 👍
Yep, square elastic. There was another out at the same time also with Trev Tomlinson's name on it called a River King. That one had round elastic but built the same as the woppa-droppa, as in same frame was used.

I can remember Cleggy's selling them, but he couldn't get spare laccy's for those either.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was always a fan of the Drennan catapults but I bought a Guru one last year and after a few initial issues I found it just as good as the Drennans. I quite like that you can alter the length of the elastic without having to remove it

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Yep, square elastic. There was another out at the same time also with Trev Tomlinson's name on it called a River King. That one had round elastic but built the same as the woppa-droppa, as in same frame was used.

I can remember Cleggy's selling them, but he couldn't get spare laccy's for those either.
😳 square elastic is still for sale on eBay. That’s a blast from the past. 😳

Attachments

• BF068C37-26D9-4DD2-8BA2-24A0CE6C782E.png
    BF068C37-26D9-4DD2-8BA2-24A0CE6C782E.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 2

nutmeg

Site Supporter
The elastic used on the guru catapults is awful, it rots very quicky, and replacing the elastic is too fiddly, and virtualy impossible if on the bank in the mddle of winter, and your fingers are cold. When the elastic is ok the catapult is ok, but l no longer use them, and replaced with preston and drennan, much better and more user friendly.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Had a Guru catapult myself, used to wrack my knuckles until the elastic broke quite quickly. Back to tried and trusted Drennan now, though I did buy a Kamasan River Kat with the Strong rated elastic looking for a stronger catapult than a Drennan Waggler Range, bit disappointed with it to be honest though not used it yet. I want something with a large pouch and strong elastic to reach the middle of the Severn, have seen Dave Harrell use a soft feed groundbait type catapult for that job.

squimp

Site Supporter
I’ve got a couple of TT whopper droppers that still get used for long range groundbaiting. Replacement round elastic seems to work fine.

For shorter ranges I use a Drennan soft feed variety.

Drennan (orange) pults for maggots etc.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The elastic that was supplied with Whopper Droppers was hopeless - pale orange colour and miles too long.
You'd need six foot arms to extend it fully - cutting it shorter improved the situation but the best solution was to replace it with the elastic that Drennan used for their version of the same catapult.
That was shorter and more powerful and could put a satsuma sized ball 50-60 yards without too much effort - and a bit of practice ;)

Simon

Nicky Dodds

There was also a pole king and canal king in the trev Tomlinson range. Very very striking resemblance to the later kamasan catapults. Even made the same annoying sound.

CarpCatcher86

On the subject of Drennan, my match catty is still as good as ever. I also have the two waggler range catapults and the groundbait catapult.