Catapult choice

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Back in the day I had a Reddicat. It was a brilliant piece of kit. Accurate, stable, effective. Never had a problem with it. It would fire maggots, ground bait, corn, stones, ball bearings, you name it.

I was saddened to learn that they went out of business some years ago and I stupidly threw away my original one.

I recently bought a middy with a small conical basket and to be honest, I mean maybe it's just me, but the thing is useless. It fires maggots all over the place, even backwards. I've tried all sorts of methods and just can't get along with it at all. I grew up with black widows so I know how to fire a catapult, but this middy thing is crackers.

Since theres only so many maggots I can take down my t-shirt, can anyone recommend a soft pouched catapult that would do the job a Reddicat used to do?

Silver fan 82

Back in the day I had a Reddicat. It was a brilliant piece of kit. Accurate, stable, effective. Never had a problem with it. It would fire maggots, ground bait, corn, stones, ball bearings, you name it.

I was saddened to learn that they went out of business some years ago and I stupidly threw away my original one.

I recently bought a middy with a small conical basket and to be honest, I mean maybe it's just me, but the thing is useless. It fires maggots all over the place, even backwards. I've tried all sorts of methods and just can't get along with it at all. I grew up with black widows so I know how to fire a catapult, but this middy thing is crackers.

Since theres only so many maggots I can take down my t-shirt, can anyone recommend a soft pouched catapult that would do the job a Reddicat used to do?
I have one of these and have the same issues with it Martin, it's not just you mate!
I would have a look round for another catapult.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I have one of these and have the same issues with it Martin, it's not just you mate!
I would have a look round for another catapult.
Right, off to catapult heaven it goes. I think the elastic is just too stiff.

I remember the reddicat had really soft elastic on it. There were two colours, red and green. It was more like pole elastic.

Honestly, I'm not impressed at all with Middy. This is the second third bit of virtually brand new kit thats just broken or been utter rubbish. The first was a little telescopic margin pole with the giant swivel inside, complete rubbish and now the catapult. I still have their split shot, but just feel as if Middy have gone very low range these days, based on my limited experience.

Edit: I forgot the rounded off screws on my landing net, which is also Middy! Again, it's just rubbish, but not cheap.

Silver fan 82

Right, off to catapult heaven it goes. I think the elastic is just too stiff.

I remember the reddicat had really soft elastic on it. There were two colours, red and green. It was more like pole elastic.

Honestly, I'm not impressed at all with Middy. This is the second bit of virtually brand new kit thats just broken or been utter rubbish. The first was a little telescopic margin pole with the giant swivel inside, complete rubbish and now the catapult. I still have their split shot, but just feel as if Middy have gone very low range these days, based on my limited experience.
I'm not sure whether it's the elastic or the pouch?
Either way they aren't great. I think the only other items of middy tackle I've used are some hooks to nylon which weren't the best, the knots eventually loosen off and some pole floats which seem OK though.
Anyway catapults try the Drennan range.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Drennan by a country mile

I've tried the Guru ones and gave them away in the end.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Tried many makes of catapults over the years guru, middy etc , etc and keep going back to the drennan here is a link

I like the drennan pole line catapult with the purple elastic for when fishing the pole, if pinging 6 mm or 8 mm pellets to a pellet waggler at distance I use the stronger red elastic( not linked above) these two do me for most things.

I brought there newer models the anti tangle evolution models but did not like them as they have to be facing a certain way to fire them out, bit difficult if you are loading catapult while watching a float, the once I have linked to the elastic comes from the top so no back or front.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I've just looked up the old reddicat. The elastic was half the length of this middy. That has to be it. When you fire it, the elastic carries momentum and binds around the posts, so it fires backwards.

Maybe they have cheaped out and gone with rubbish elastic?

In any case, I will check out the Drennan range. Thanks lads.

PS. How hard is it for these companies to design a working catapult, which have been around since about 10,000BC!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’ve a Drennan for maggots and a conical plastic Preston for pellets - both are superb at what they do and awful if used the other way around

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Gents, can I ask, are you using the new versions of the Drennan? Because the Preston, Drennan, Middy, Korum and other brands looks virtually identical to me. Long spindly elastic on all of them. There seem to be differences in the baskets, but the fundamental design seems identical, with the top pull shimmed elastic and rear cutout on each side.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It’s not the frame nor is it the elastic. It’s the pouch that matters. Look for one that is conical but, with a flat internal base to it. Not a ground bait pouch but a maggot pouch with a flat internal base. Your grouping will improve in no time. My one is ancient but, I do believe Preston make one now.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
It’s not the frame nor is it the elastic. It’s the pouch that matters. Look for one that is conical but, with a flat internal base to it. Not a ground bait pouch but a maggot pouch with a flat internal base. Your grouping will improve in no time. My one is ancient but, I do believe Preston make one now.
But the reddicat just had a flexible pouch made of faux leather and it worked for everything. Why cant they just make that? Sort it out Mick.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Don't know what catty I had 30 years ago but I was fine with it. Now I'm bloody useless.....maggots & pellets end up all over me. I've tried Drennan & Preston. Don't know what I'm doing differently.

Total

Site Supporter
And shorten the elastic for each and everyone's personal use/preference.....Makes all the difference for consistency etc etc.......(y)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
And shorten the elastic for each and everyone's personal use/preference.....Makes all the difference for consistency etc etc.......(y)
When fishing the pole long and using a catty I think I’m one of a few anglers that likes a tad stiffer elastic set up. It’s a lot more accurate than a soft elastic in my opinion Mark.

Total

Site Supporter
When fishing the pole long and using a catty I think I’m one of a few anglers that likes a tad stiffer elastic set up. It’s a lot more accurate than a soft elastic in my opinion Mark.
^^ Definitely.....(y)(Although I rarely fish a long pole now due to a buggered back.....)

With respects to Martin (OP) the Reddicat was a decent catty in both it's forms, it was still capable of firing bait everywhere if you wasn't careful.....:giggle::deal::help:

Reuben

Site Supporter
Drennan for me for pellets or maggots. Good range of spares too.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
There are 3 parts to a catapult. The handle with 2 choices, top or side fittings. Make your choice. Then the elastic, many choices and makes, this would also include hollow pole elastic. Now the bit that really matters the pouch. There are basically 2 types , a maggot type which should be softer and a pellet type which firmer. By the way a groundbait catty is another kettle of fish. Too long an elastic will cause problems and over stretching the elastic will also cause problems. You should ping baits out not force the bait out. So if you are pinging and not getting the required distance then you need to go a grade stronger in the elastic. Over powering your elastic will also spread your bait further. Catty rash is caused by incorrect use of your catapult. Used side on and only pinging will not cause catty rash.
Hope this helps.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I remember cutting a selected branch off a tree, cutting the bark off and whittling it down to make a catty. The elastic was square and grey coloured which was fastened by whipping it on with string. The handle was also whipped with string for a better grip and the pouch was made from a scrap of leather, again whipped on with string. I can't remember if it was any good for maggots, but it was good with small stones and marbles.......:eek: