Cat litter groundbait

SeanB

Site Supporter
OK so I know this sounds like I've lost the plot but I picked up a bag of cat litter today in B&m and now I'm thinking it might be of interest to those MD'ers who like to experiment with home made groundbait.

It's called Garfield Corn litter, and according to the blurb on the bag it's made of corn and wheat kernals.
IMG_20201126_194927.jpg IMG_20201126_194944.jpg IMG_20201126_195936.jpg

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Does it go snap crackle pop if you pour milk on it ? This is how people learn, trial and error, I mean, who thought luncheon meat would be a good bait ? Someone had to try it.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
OK so I know this sounds like I've lost the plot but I picked up a bag of cat litter today in B&m and now I'm thinking it might be of interest to those MD'ers who like to experiment with home made groundbait.

It's called Garfield Corn litter, and according to the blurb on the bag it's made of corn and wheat kernals.
IMG_20201126_194927.jpg IMG_20201126_194944.jpg IMG_20201126_195936.jpg

According to the back of the bag (No2), it says it's lightweight. I'm just wondering how lightweight because it might float. Interesting idea though.

SeanB

Site Supporter
According to the back of the bag (No2), it says it's lightweight. I'm just wondering how lightweight because it might float. Interesting idea though.
Excellent point, hadn't thought of that.
I've put a small amount in a glass bowl and it does float, it does cloud the water quite well, and will sink if squeezed. I will leave it 20 mins and have another look.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Excellent point, hadn't thought of that.
I've put a small amount in a glass bowl and it does float, it does cloud the water quite well, and will sink if squeezed. I will leave it 20 mins and have another look.

It could be O.K. when mixed first. Experiment and see. You might also be able to colour/flavour it.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I could see it having some use, whether it's worth the effort involved getting there is another matter lol
Grinding into powder could be a better way perhaps. When squeezed it goes quite mushy, maybe soaked it might work as a holding feed but in truth there are easier ways to do this.
I think I will stick to commercial groundbait and particles.
When you start looking at cat litter and thinking how you can use it for fishing, you have to wonder if the lockdown is affecting you more than you thought ?

nickg

Could a clumping cat litter not clump inside the fish and kill it as they can't pass it?

Has happened to cats...

The different with luncheon meat is that it has designed to be digested. No where on those pics of the bag does it suggest its edible

SeanB

Site Supporter
It's basically dried maize crumb, not sure it would be a problem once soaked.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like one of those things 'locals' round here know how to do, like casting Breadflake into a weir and bagging Chub, I will stick to commercial groundbait for now. :LOL:

rudd

Site Supporter
Fish cat meat over the top and you might collar a few!

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Does it go snap crackle pop if you pour milk on it ? This is how people learn, trial and error, I mean, who thought luncheon meat would be a good bait ? Someone had to try it.
We were catching Barbel with it over forty years ago on the Wharfe at Boston Spa !