cat food

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
as you know im normaly river/drain fisherman although i have fished pits i am tending to fish more this closed season.
im not to hot on carp bbaits so for a change i would like some advice
on which catfood holds on the hook best ill probally fish size 12 or 10 hook as the largest
even now im still learning & trying new ideas after about 40yrs of fishing

tight lines.
martin.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Martin,

One of the most popular catfoods that was/is used is a brand called Koshida which is available from Lidl supermarkets and some tackle shops. 29p a can at the supermarkets.

As for staying on the hook, it is like all the others, it doesn't like hard casting and is more suited to use with a pole where it can be gently dropped into the water.
I suppose you could mix it with breadcrumb or some other binder to make a stiff paste but it is something that I haven't tried.

Hope this helps, Dave

martin.

Account Locked
thanks dave
i am going fishing tommorrow afternoon will make an 11mile detour
to ournearest lidls is there a particular flavour which tends to work better although ill probaly get 2 or 3 different flavours to try .
once again thanks dave

any other suggestions for me to try on my next trip

tight lines.
martin.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you really want to try catfood Martin then buy some PVA bags.

Put the baited hook, few freebies & the casting wieght into the bag & seal it then cast as far as you like cos the bag will/should keep the cat food on the hook plus drop an irresistable carpet of freebies around you baited hook as well.

Alan
You've just been moderated

reveal13

Try Whiskas in jelly that is a winner and is actually quite tuff, and stays on the hook

If you want to cast it, then hair rig it and it should stay on for the cast,

Also look for cat meat that is in GRAVY as sometimes the carp like the gravy brands better than jelly brands!

also try this get a maggot riddle and put 3 cans of pork luncheon meat through it, then get some Silly bait grondbait and add 1/4 of the bag to the meat, now mix it up so the meat has got a silly bait coating, riddle off theexcess, then put in a bag and then leave it for about and hour then its ready to use!

use:
you can use it as a loose feed or even as a carpet bait, just squeze the meat together so its like groundbait and then throw or cup into swim, great for pole and the feeder to

for that little bit more attraction add some Van Dan eynde Mico pellets (fishmeal) this makes it even better,

Hope if you try it it works as this has worked for me as i won one match with 124lb on it, always worth a try

peter

martin.

Account Locked
hi
thanks for info this means ill have to go fishing more to try the different ways/baits (not that i needed much persuasion)
thanks agaian will let you know first result tommorow night.

all further ideas & tips on this subject will be tried thanks.

tight lines.
martin.

G

Tip fom Keith Arthur, Martin, rinse cat food well under running water to remove all jelly and or fat, place in bag then put in fridge overnight, Mr Arthur reckons it will stay on the hook no problem,
don't blame me if it dosent work mate {LoL}
Andy

Andy homer.gif

Del-J

' Victor '
Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
yes we will.

Evnin Andy.

DJ.gif
Be lucky,
Del.

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
Tried coshidatoday ,took my daughter sammy &a ladd named swaley
ibought 3 diff flavours so we could use on each we ave 5 carp each
best one 5-8 to swaleymy best carp was 5-02 but i had a bonus tench at 4-9.
we fished for 6hrs there was about 6 others there but i only saw the odd carp to about 3-00 caught .
i put the poor result down to the drop in temp overthe last few days
for the bad result ill try again when it picks up ill try one of the other ideas later this week & let you know result

tight lines.
martin.

MALC

Martin this one is dear to me as i've used catmeat at every opertunity for around 20years and in that time i've tried most types and in most situations.

All the previous tips are ok and will work but catmeat is so versitile and each flavour has a good period and a not so good period.

Some of my findings are as follows:

Waggler & Feeder
For non pole work 2 brands stand up to casting very well when used on a hair rig they are Vitacat Chunks in jelly (from Aldi) and Felix Chunks in jelly (from most supermarkets).
These are best fridged prior to use and carried to the bank via a cool bag even in winter you'll find they will withstand a good 70 to 80yd cast when chilled.

Pole
Personally i now only use Vitacat and Coshida for pole fishing but tend to change the flavours through the season as follows,

Late Autumn through to spring Coshida Poultry or Vitacat Chicken normally will out fish any of the fish flavours.
From Spring to Mid Summer i tend to go more with Vitacat Tuna & Salmon
From Mid Summer to Autumn i change to Vitacat Cod & Prawn

Personally i do not loose feed catmeat as it is but put it through either a maggot or squatt riddle (very messy) and sometimes the liquidiser (even messier) and add it to riddled Bacon Grill and Luncheon meat.

Personally i never wash the jelly or gravy from the catmeat prefering to include it with the feed.

As to hook sizes and patterns.
For fish upto 2lb i'll use Kamasan Animal hooks in sizes 16 to 20 depending on if i've cut the chunks into 2 or 4 pieces.
For fish from 2lb to double figures it's the same pattern in sizes 10 to 14 or Mustard Method hooks in sizes 8 to 12.

On some venue's you'll need to cut the chuncks into 4 pieces and then on other venues you'll need 3 chuncks on a hook to get a proper bite.

A good paste from catmeat is 2 tins catmeat and 2 tins Bacon Grill pushed through a riddle 3 or 4 times then coated in pure fishmeal or Sillybait.
Depending on how much f/meal or Silly you add you can get the paste to breakdown in less than a minute it's bizzy work on the pole but the results can be outstanding.

If you want any more info just ask.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com bounce.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hell MALC!
I am genuinely impressed, you obviously know your cat-meat!
Almost a quiet aside from me, but Go-Cat in Gravy or jelly with chicken and Turkey chunks has worked for me.
The chicken lumps stay on OK, I feed the turkey ones, if they are a bit soft,
BUT the big advantage for me is that I dont have to keep driving and searching for them, they're in every Tesco's!
Incidentally, I read somewhere else that Lidls are dropping Koshida.
Silly bait for daft fish anyway!

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

martin.

Account Locked
hi malc
youve just told me to go fishing 3 days next week ive got to try this out for my next match on 28th at virginia lake also ive been invited to fish a series of evening matches on button hole every
tues from 30th so i shall be trying this out seriously
thanks very very much for info

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.