Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajay

When I returned to fishing 3 years ago, I devoured information from magazines and off the internet. One key piece of info was about casting; there were many advocates of the position your weight/feeder etc behind you, get set, aim and then cast out, transferring you weight etc as needs be for the distance you're casting. (I'm simplifying horrendously.)
Anyway I've really struggled with accuracy since getting back into fishing. I've got some physical probs that would affect it: my right shoulder (I'm right handed) has dislocated more times than I can remember and has had a failed operation to fix it. It's weak and slow as a result. My left is also knackered and has also had a failed op; so when distance casting fails to help me transfer my weight effectively.
Anyway (again) I was reading a carp mag on holiday and Iain McMillian (I think) was describing how he swings it back and then straight forward without the pause. I thought "thats pretty much how I used to cast". Anyway next day I started casting how I used to, pointing the tip in front of me at the target, swinging behind me and then casting it forward straight away. I'm still not going to be dropping it on a sixpence at 50 yards, but my accuracy has improved no end.
My distance is still a problem, although I'm getting a few more yards, I could never be launching it 100yds. So still a problem.
So "how do you cast for accuracy" and "how do you get/improve distance?"
Cheers

Red Spike

hold the rod in you right hand, left hand at end of rod, line up the rod with your nose and let the lead/feeder swing behind you with about 3ft of line fron rod tip to feeder,as you launch the feeder both hand should be working together with the left pulling and the right pushing.
Hope this makes some sense, but ive never struggled too much for accuracy and distance so i must be doing something right!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.