Casting weight v mainline/hooklength breaking strains

Chervil

Site Supporter
I have searched and whilst there are threads on casting weights, I can't find one that answers this question. I just purchased a Shimano 9'/11' Beastmaster cx feeder rod, which was delivered yesterday and looks and feels very nice. I'm very old school and tend to think in breaking strains of lines, not diameter. Unlike all of my other rods it has no indication of recommended mainline/hooklength breaking strains, just a casting weight of 70g.
I've searched the internet, but cannot find a recommended line strength for the rod, the Shimano catalogue doesn't have it. Bobco have been very helpful and quick to get back to me. they say that more manufactures are leaving the line strengths off, because of liability issues. So what do you think it would be and is there a set casting weight v breaking strain chart, or isn't it as simple as that?

A quick look at my Middy 4gs 11' feeder says casting weight 7-40g mainline 8lb hooklength 6lb

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Depends on distance and oomph you are putting into casts, you can cast 70 grams easily on 3 pound b/s , also depends on quarry

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
I can't help with the CX but I have got the original 9/11 carp feeder and have used 10lb/8lb since I bought it,used it on commercial waters and rivers as well and had no problems with it

Chervil

Site Supporter
Depends on distance and oomph you are putting into casts, you can cast 70 grams easily on 3 pound b/s , also depends on quarry
But my quandary is, what is the maximum BS mainline you would put on the rod? :unsure:

grey

Site Supporter
Put what you want through it: 3lb mono to 80lb braid. Anything above 8lb mono will drastically affect its casting ability, and it would struggle to land an 80lb catfish! I fish something similar with a 10lb leader to 4lb mainline, but would be happy to fish 10lb straight through if I could get the distance I need.

Gaz9243

Site Supporter
I have the same rod, and generally use 6lb mainline, with either 8-9lb hook length for methods, or 5-6lb hook length for anything else. I only use it on commercials, and I like it. I’ve never used it at real distance though

davej1981

Alot of variables to consider but generally i would use 6-8lb mainline. Hook length would then Be dictated by target species/conditions/method or not