Casting too far ? Carpers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I've just been fishing a small city reservoir, have had half a dozen or so short evening sessions recently about 2 hrs each.

The thing is, the bivvy boys are there, mostly young lads but not all, and they seem to want to cast as close to the middle as they can. 50-70 yds and more. Everyone of them.

In the times i've been there, i've had one carp (last night 9lb 4 oz) from 6 yds out max. Not seen any others caught.I was tipped off about the peg as a lad was leaving and said he'd been fishing it in the afternoon and had had a few fish to 20lb on match tackle close in, well 6lb line anyway.

Had mine on single sweetcorn on a size 14. Mostly though, i've roach fished it.

Theres tench in this place too, and by all accounts they're mainly caught 1 or 2 rods out. Had one tonight at that distance. Cant help thinking there'll be more carp in with them and the carp lads are just wizzing their leads out past most fish just because its the thing they do in the magazines etc.

A few months ago I heard someone say, the biggest feature in most waters is usually the bank(s). So true.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Depends on the venue mate, but you are right.

Lots of weekend carp warriors with 200% more tackle than fishcraft around.Started to call em Argos Anglers.

Loads of kit but havent served any 'apprenticeship' in my eyes.

These are people who 'bang'out a boilie when the carp are cruising on top...wonder what makes em keep going.

I went last night and saw a carp roll and activty at about 10 yards or so....the lad who was waiting to sit in my peg then 'banged a boilie at least 60 yards into the distance....

funny....

quivertip

phil
all the gear no idea springs to mind[:D]
fishing is all about location, on some waters a good chuck is needed to reach a certain feature on others it's a gentle lob or in the margins, fish where the fish are or you won't catch, simple really[:D]

Tezz

Heres a new reality TV show, stick the bivvy boys on a river armed with only a stick float and half a brain, the other halfs for making a cuppa

Bricktop

Snap
Everyone's simply at a different stage in the learning process. It takes a long time to develop watercraft, your own ideas, and simply having the bottle to try something new. Carp fishing is probably the most popular and readily available passport to starting fishing these days, and a lot of newcomers struggle, just as I did when I started roach fishing all those years ago. Come to think of it, I still struggle [:D]

chrisby27

Originally posted by Bricktop

Everyone's simply at a different stage in the learning process. It takes a long time to develop watercraft, your own ideas, and simply having the bottle to try something new. Carp fishing is probably the most popular and readily available passport to starting fishing these days, and a lot of newcomers struggle, just as I did when I started roach fishing all those years ago. Come to think of it, I still struggle [:D]
nice post briktop[:D]

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
You know thats, a very good point Bricktop. Maybe I should think more before I post [:D] but I meant them no harm, just an observation.

Even more spot on when I say the reason I've been fishing this place is to lay the ghosts of the past. When I was a kid it was one of only two places within walking distance, and it was HARD, and overfished. I spent many days there struggling with inadequate tackle ...and knowledge. So I see it as a challenge now with the improved knowledge I have. It's been on my 'to do' list for a while but somehow not found the time until now.

Side note : I've tried fly fishing twice over the last 2 years and caught nothing. Boy have I struggled.[:p]So I know what its like to be a novice again when I remember.

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Id usually only ever fish the margins on an evening session, fishing anywhere else is a stupid idea IMO, but depends on the water and what the margins are like, depth etc.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Here we go another boring moan about carp anglers - we fish how we like to fish. If I want to take a tackle shop with me when I go thats my decision. If you want to sit there with a 17 meter lightening conductor across your lap that's your decision.

Bricktop said it all really - give us a break lets move on from this topic. I bet if Dave removed all the threads about moaning about carp anglers he wouldn't need another server....
I didn't get much sleep last night and I'm a little touchy....does it show?

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Lol.

When i go carp fishing i take less than i do if im coarse fishing :|

J

Chubonator
Maybe you could have handed them a few pointers Tigerbay?

Hootie

I went fishing on Friday evening and there was a few carp cruising on the top. I found a quiet spot with a small weed bed 6ft from the bank. Fed a few floaters along the edge of the weed to see what happened. In a two hour period I had 4 doubles off the top on chum mixer, the biggest went 19lb. [:D]All the other anglers I saw were banging out the method feeder 40 yards plus[:0]

mangrojack

the water i carp fish mostly, ive never caught a fish closer than 40 yards out most come about 70-100 yards.

but while i was away with metal recently i had all my fish from the margin in 2ft of water including a 25lb 7z common so it all depends on the venue i think.

broombroom

its not just carp anglers mate. i spend a bit of time sea fishing and there will always be someone who thinks chucking a 5 oz lead 100+ yards with a pendulum cast every time is better than fishing in the surf where a majority of the fish are

darrengeorge

speci-ish
I thought you were going to moan about yanks casting across to our margins, while you can fish your own coast far more accurately!!

not all carp anglers are abit casting far out happy lol. you get it everywhere though some brilliant carp anglers and some not so good , same with match anglers but i once saw a carp angler at makins chuck 80 yards where there was no ice and the rest of the lake was frozen solid lol.

svenc

London Blanker NOT
B en please explain, im sure you mean he cast across ice?? would that mean he was fishing in a hole 80 yards away??

mrhaze

indeed crusty...how would he get the fish in from that thar hole assuming he hooked one??

dubious tale methinks ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.