Casting to the same spot when fishing the sliding waggler?

dave brittain 1

It's something I've never worried about, it's a bit like bream fishing before people started clipping up or feeder fishing on a river. Pick a target, cast, feather the float and pay some line out to allow it to cock.

richox12

Once I’ve found the depth on the line I want to fish, I clip up so I know where I’m fishing, then I recast out and strip off about 3 metres off the spool then reclip up, so when I cast out I overcast and reel in line a couple of metres, then take the bale arm over so the line can run off so the float goes to the right depth.

Sounds about more complicated than it is but once you’ve done it a couple of times becomes second nature.

And the slider is a very under utilised method as everyone has either poleitus or feederitus!
It's what I've mostly done i the past. Overcast to clip, straightaway wind back 'x' qty of turns and then open the bail to allow line through and float to settle.

richox12

it's a bit like casting a method feeder to an island and you need to get a few wraps back on the reel before the rod goes in the rest.
Cast the waggler out and bring the rod right up nearly above you , when the line hits the clip and the waggler is on the water lower the rod and the bulk shot will go down quick, washing up liquid on a cloth run through the line will sink the line if it does not then put the tip under the water about 5 inches and flick up quickly and line will sink.

It's not always the best thing to get the bait and bulk to fall that quick, I've had sessions where , bites have gone iffy on the bottom and seems like the fish have disappeared, a cast keeping the rod forward will see float hit the water and it will see the float coming back to you as the bulk drops through the water slowly, had some good sessions catching slab Bream 5 foot from the bottom in 14 feet of water doing that, but you count it down doing that so you know when you have got a hold up bite.

Very easy in practices as mentioned in other posts use the correct float do do it effortsly, I have slider from 3 AAA up to 10 grams
I've done it that way as well but it depends on depth. Occasionally the rod 'length' etc isn't enough line.

Total

Site Supporter
What's happened to basic skill sets, casting and accuracy :ROFLMAO: A stop knot is no use on moving water ;)
When your looking across 30 plus acres of water that can look all the same....That's when a stop knot and clipped up can come in handy....;)(y)

You're first sentence above we can discuss when you book your tuition! :oops:......It shouldn't take you long to learn the basics!;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dave brittain 1

When your looking across 30 plus acres of water that can look all the same....That's when a stop knot and clipped up can come in handy....;)(y)

You're first sentence above we can discuss when you book your tuition! :oops:......It shouldn't take you long to learn the basics!;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Top and bottom slider or bottom end only, if I'm paying for tuition I don't want 1/2 a job :ROFLMAO: You could come to Chard and show me how it's done and I promise not to clip up ;)

Total

Site Supporter
Top and bottom slider or bottom end only, if I'm paying for tuition I don't want 1/2 a job :ROFLMAO: You could come to Chard and show me how it's done and I promise not to clip up ;)
Perhaps we could split the day up and incorporate feeder fishing too?......We could invite our Chris!;):love::ROFLMAO:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
It's what I've mostly done i the past. Overcast to clip, straightaway wind back 'x' qty of turns and then open the bail to allow line through and float to settle.
That's how I've always done it. By doing exactly the same thing every cast, you will be fishing the same spot. So cast to the clip, which helps to prevent the tangles sometimes associated with fishing the slider, wind in the required number of turns, making sure it's done accurately, then open the bail arm and let the line run through and the float to settle. The most important thing with the slider is noting the shot and how it affects the float. So noting how the float is with all of the shot on the deck. Then noting the bulk shots affect on the float, with the tell tale shot on the deck, and finally how the float is with the tell tale and the bulk shot up in the water. So when you wind in the required turns and open the bail arm, you will see the float settling as each area of shotting affects the float.

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Some pro advice is to fish the slider using a line of 0.20 at the thinnest, to avoid tangles and stop the float sliding back on the cast. That's 5lb maxima!

Do those of you who fish this method agree, or do you manage fine with a lighter line?

Asking as I don't tend to fish stillwater waggler over 4lb and mostly at 3lb Maxima which I find only just stronger than a 3.8lb Drennan Supplex hooklength (both are supposed to be 0.15 diameter lines).

Total

Site Supporter
Some pro advice is to fish the slider using a line of 0.20 at the thinnest, to avoid tangles and stop the float sliding back on the cast. That's 5lb maxima!

Do those of you who fish this method agree, or do you manage fine with a lighter line?

Asking as I don't tend to fish stillwater waggler over 4lb and mostly at 3lb Maxima which I find only just stronger than a 3.8lb Drennan Supplex hooklength (both are supposed to be 0.15 diameter lines).
Your 4 pound Maxima will be fine......Make your slider knot from the same stuff....Get out there and try it....Enjoy....(y)

dave brittain 1

On rivers I use 0.165 dia Gorilla float, on a still water for bream I'd be happy with 3lb or 4lb maxima as you still need to sink your line and combat tow. You also need to consider the float and the distance fished. You can cast a 4-6g lightly loaded float further than you can loose feed on 3lb line however increase the line diameter to 5lb and you'll reduce the distance and control. It's a balancing act depending on species and approach. With a big loaded slider and catapulted groundbait or sticky mag you can fish much heaver floats and line.