Casting to the same spot when fishing the sliding waggler?

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Any advice about this? Apart from get more skilful :censored::rolleyes: or a marker rod (I'm not carping!)

I don't want to drag my hook and bait along the bottom if I can avoid that. Snags etc... Can't see how you can clip-up, because the spool needs to be free for the line to pull through the float.

A single marker stop knot will let you know if you're off, but I don't know if it helps other than letting you know to re-cast?
If you feel it go through your fingers when feathering the line against the spool, you're already too long and casting beyond and drawing back is complex... if you let the line settle and you're long winding in both pulls in the slack line and also draws back the float so when you re-settle you are likely to miss your distance and line marker.

I'm thinking 2 marking stop knots on the line, 1st to warn as it feathers past your fingers and a second to stop the line at for a set distance, then let settle, before closing the bail? Marking the cast as it lands not after it settles.
That might help me repeat the same distance cast after cast.

Is there another trick I don't know about?

Godber

Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Cast out to your spot and let your float settle against the stop knot. Mark about 12inch of your line with a yellow crayon or tipex next to the reel to give you a marker each time you cast.

Total

Site Supporter
Clip up just past the length/distance you require to allow say four turns to sink the line.....Tie your sliding knot to the depth you require as normal...

Cast out to your clip, let stop knot cock your float, and wind back the distance (eg four turns past your intended spot). Weight down the line will come back towards you and your stop knot will resettle at correct depth and distance required......You are now fishing and future casts will be at the same place....(y)

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Cast out to your spot and let your float settle against the stop knot. Mark about 12inch of your line with a yellow crayon or tipex next to the reel to give you a marker each time you cast.
You've probably eaten you marker crayon Mick!;):ROFLMAO:

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
Clip up just past the length/distance you require to allow say four turns to sink the line.....Tie your sliding to the depth you require as normal...

Cast out to your clip, let stop knot cock your float, and wind back the distance (eg four turns past your intended spot). Weight down the line will come back towards you and your stop knot will resettle at correct depth and distance required......You are now fishing and future casts will be at the same place....(y)
Makes sense. I'm overthinking it... 🙄

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I do it near enough the same as Total, always clipped up, I prefer clipped up it straightens everything out when you hit the clip and is accurate, a float which takes a lot of weight makes it even easier.

Total

Site Supporter
I do it near enough the same as Total, always clipped up, I prefer clipped up it straightens everything out when you hit the clip and is accurate, a float which takes a lot of weight makes it even easier.
^^ Never be frightened of using a float that takes a bit of weight especially when slider fishing.......Float size doesn't matter a jot, as long as it's shotted correctly it's just as sensitive, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise....;)(y)......Accurate/repetitive casting also makes it better should you be firing balls of groundbait to your float....

satinet

Site Supporter
I don't think the bait will be dragging the bottom as you wind in tbh.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Cast to spot and let float settle.
Pull out same amount of line that = depth being fished.
Clip up.
The slider is then drawn back up line as bulk sinks.
Rod tip under surface and all line sinks itself.
Float will settle in same spot (or there abouts) everytime.
Bites on drop easy to spot as everything stops.

richox12

If you hit the clip the line is tight and restricted. How do you feed out more line when it's in the clip ? Are you expecting the heavy bulk to pull the line through the slider eye and float etc all come back at an angle until it settles ?

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
If you hit the clip the line is tight and restricted. How do you feed out more line when it's in the clip ? Are you expecting the heavy bulk to pull the line through the slider eye and float etc all come back at an angle until it settles ?
That's what I wanted to avoid. I know the slider is for fishing deep but I still want as natural a drop as possible for bonus bites and I don't want to drag a line sideways through the swim to minimise liners and spooked fish.

Some advice suggests good anglers can be accurate enough to feather the rig down repeatedly in the same place and let it settle in just the right place with the bail arm up. I'm some way off that at the moment...

PS. Doubt it's going to make a difference given my skill with a catty baiting an area the size of a squash court🤦😳 but you have to try and think about things don't you?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is an interesting read for someone who wants to fish the slider for pretty much the first time this year. I had watched an Andy may slider video and he clips up and lets the float drag back into position. I haven’t a clue how I’ll do it.

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter
This is an interesting read for someone who wants to fish the slider for pretty much the first time this year. I had watched an Andy may slider video and he clips up and lets the float drag back into position. I haven’t a clue how I’ll do it.
Yep, there's some variation on the various videos and articles. Alan Scotthorne doesn't seem to clip and leaves the bail up, but others drag back.

SteveAmo

Once I’ve found the depth on the line I want to fish, I clip up so I know where I’m fishing, then I recast out and strip off about 3 metres off the spool then reclip up, so when I cast out I overcast and reel in line a couple of metres, then take the bale arm over so the line can run off so the float goes to the right depth.

Sounds about more complicated than it is but once you’ve done it a couple of times becomes second nature.

And the slider is a very under utilised method as everyone has either poleitus or feederitus!

Total

Site Supporter
Once I’ve found the depth on the line I want to fish, I clip up so I know where I’m fishing, then I recast out and strip off about 3 metres off the spool then reclip up, so when I cast out I overcast and reel in line a couple of metres, then take the bale arm over so the line can run off so the float goes to the right depth.

Sounds about more complicated than it is but once you’ve done it a couple of times becomes second nature.

And the slider is a very under utilised method as everyone has either poleitus or feederitus!
^^ Another good explanation.(y)......My local docks (Greenland Docks) have depths to over 30 feet in places and utilising the slider (if weather conditions allow) is the only way to search the water/depths effectively. (or 'man' handling silly lengths of pole which I wouldn't recommend in public busy areas)

The Millwall Docks I very occasionally fish are even deeper in places....:oops:......It's not unusual (my apologies Sir Tom J'!) to fish half depth or shallower to catch the bream roach etc.....Very challenging fishing and if conditions allow, more exciting that sitting behind a tip rod, although I loves my tip fishing....

Wrongfoot

Site Supporter

Interesting, I was going to try that... closing, reeling back and reopening the bail arm. Wasn't confident enough to say so in case people thought I was over complicating things. Pleased to hear it can work quickly. I'll give it a shot next week. Roach, Bream, and Perch 20ft plus from a steep sided ressie.

Triune

Site Supporter

And the slider is a very under utilised method as everyone has either thats the best way in my book.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
it's a bit like casting a method feeder to an island and you need to get a few wraps back on the reel before the rod goes in the rest.
Cast the waggler out and bring the rod right up nearly above you , when the line hits the clip and the waggler is on the water lower the rod and the bulk shot will go down quick, washing up liquid on a cloth run through the line will sink the line if it does not then put the tip under the water about 5 inches and flick up quickly and line will sink.

It's not always the best thing to get the bait and bulk to fall that quick, I've had sessions where , bites have gone iffy on the bottom and seems like the fish have disappeared, a cast keeping the rod forward will see float hit the water and it will see the float coming back to you as the bulk drops through the water slowly, had some good sessions catching slab Bream 5 foot from the bottom in 14 feet of water doing that, but you count it down doing that so you know when you have got a hold up bite.

Very easy in practices as mentioned in other posts use the correct float do do it effortsly, I have slider from 3 AAA up to 10 grams

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
one point worth mentioning with slider fishing is not to use the eye on the float which would cause a slow decent, use something like a snap swivel or one of them drennan swivels which are mounted on rubber which pushes on the float, when you start you have the stop knot then thread a small glass bead on the line which will butt up to the knot then thread a larger glass bead on which means you can use a bigger eye on your swivel on your float, nice free decent then.

Total

Site Supporter
one point worth mentioning with slider fishing is not to use the eye on the float which would cause a slow decent, use something like a snap swivel or one of them drennan swivels which are mounted on rubber which pushes on the float, when you start you have the stop knot then thread a small glass bead on the line which will butt up to the knot then thread a larger glass bead on which means you can use a bigger eye on your swivel on your float, nice free decent then.
^^ Very good point and something I observe when slider fishing and even more important when you use a double ring slider....(y)