Casting practice in closed season

JimM

My distance casting ability is abysmal so was thinking about going along to the river during the closed season and practicing with just a lead on the line and no hooklink. To me it seems the perfect time as they'll be no other anglers to annoy but don't know if it would be frowned upon by the EA or the angling fraternity in general?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I would say as long as you have no bait or hooks with you it should be ok
A quick call to the angling club if a club stretch would give you an answer or if day ticket a call to the EA

Total

Site Supporter
Account Locked
My distance casting ability is abysmal so was thinking about going along to the river during the closed season and practicing with just a lead on the line and no hooklink. To me it seems the perfect time as they'll be no other anglers to annoy but don't know if it would be frowned upon by the EA or the angling fraternity in general?
Jim, for what it's worth don't draw attention to yourself by doing this....Can you not find a field/open ground/reservoir/big lake somewhere to do/have your casting practice?

Last edited:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
How close to the coast are you? A nice beach with loads of space would do.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Just having a rod and reel near running water is enough to get you prosecuted if they want to be awkward.
Find a nice field out of the way or a beach even.

JimM

Thanks, think I'll try and find a field although not sure how that will work with trying to retrieve the lead, my basic attempts in the garden result in the lead getting stuck in the grass!

Don't think there are any lakes around my area that are public plus I'd image it would be pretty annoying for others if I spent an hour constantly lobbing a lead in.

nejohn

Site Supporter
A football pitch is always good as the 18 yard boxes and half way line are good markers, on a normal sized football pitch if you stand on one goal line the half way line is around 50m the opposite 18 yard box is around 80m and the opposite end goal line around 100m, these are all give or take a few metres as there are no exact sizes for a football pitch, the regulations state it must be between 90m and 120 metres long but 100m is a decent guide

TiggerXFM

I could understand fly casting practice on a river, but definately not distance casting a lead.....very odd ?

That would not be allowed on the club waters of which i'm a member.

Gaz9243

As most have said, a field is a better option. Tournament casting is done on fields, so it must be ok

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think if you are on the river and someone contacts the EA to say you are fishing then the grief you will get trying to prove you aren’t fishing isn’t worth it.

As has been said find a football field nearby and cast on that

Total

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I use a field and hula hoops laid out to land the lead in, so it’s not just about hitting the distance but hitting the same spot.
Where as Godber and myself use a bucket to land our casts in when practising even from distance!:whistle:;):D

chris1967

Really Really
Site Supporter
Where as Godber and myself use a bucket to land our casts in when practising even from distance!:whistle:;):D
easily hit a bucket

11f28f9424f67ed7fa75525806af28d3.jpg

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
I've been down to the river (Thames at Iffley) many, many times in the closed season to test out reels, floats etc by casting. No hooks, no bait literally a rod + reel + a float. Smack next to the lock & keeper (within 5 yards !!). Many times with the EA launches coming through. On 99% of occasions no officer has batted an eyelid - even when I walked across the lock in FULL view with 2 made up rods. Only on 1 occasion did any EA officer ask what I was doing and once explained they were absolutely fine - I was not fishing. Mind you this is very close to Donnington where you can see people actively fishing from about May onwards anyway !!!!

Total

Site Supporter
Account Locked
I've been down to the river (Thames at Iffley) many, many times in the closed season to test out reels, floats etc by casting. No hooks, no bait literally a rod + reel + a float. Smack next to the lock & keeper (within 5 yards !!). Many times with the EA launches coming through. On 99% of occasions no officer has batted an eyelid - even when I walked across the lock in FULL view with 2 made up rods. Only on 1 occasion did any EA officer ask what I was doing and once explained they were absolutely fine - I was not fishing. Mind you this is very close to Donnington where you can see people actively fishing from about May onwards anyway !!!!
Is your casting that bad that Peter wouldn't let you test such gear out on his private pond?:unsure::whistle:

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Is your casting that bad that Peter wouldn't let you test such gear out on his private pond?:unsure::whistle:
Iffley/Donnington are much closer. Plus it's not big enough. A 14g Skud goes a long, long way on 0.14mm