Casting issues

Stewie74

Site Supporter
My return to the bank after a few years away (read about it HERE) was great , but I had a lot of trouble with casting (feeder).

I was coming up short of the clip, missing target left (and spectacularly long on one occasion, leading to a donation to the island tree gods).

Any tips for casting straighter, other than practice?

Thanks in advance

Stewie

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Have a read of my blog on the subject, might help. But really practice, confidence and the willingness to lose the occasional feeder is the only answer.

bettsfan

As Neil says its practice and confidence. I would guess that the ones you were falling short with (human instinct kicked in and you bottled it). The one with the Island Tree God may have been over confidence.
Work on what is right for you as everyone is different, just try to keep things consistent i.e Feeder from the Top Ring and effort used in casting. Sometimes I find it is the shorter casts as you described (20m) which are the hardest.

commieboy257

make sure you have enough line out of the rod i.e your feeder wants to be swinging a good 1/3 down the rod when you bring it vertical. this will put more of the power down the rod length, i.e. making it work for you. just be aware the feeder will have a higher vertical trajectory so don't do this trying to cast under trees! unfortunately trajectory height goes hand in hand with distance.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Have a read of my blog on the subject, might help. But really practice, confidence and the willingness to lose the occasional feeder is the only answer.

That's a great read @Neil ofthe nene , just read all 4 parts, thank you 👍

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Lots of practice - oh and an empty sports field with a hula hoop is a great help since the loss of terminal tackle is kept to a minimum. That’s how I learned to fly cast many moons ago.

JayD

Lots of practice - oh and an empty sports field with a hula hoop is a great help since the loss of terminal tackle is kept to a minimum. That’s how I learned to fly cast many moons ago.
Same here, used to get some strange looks while practicing though.

Sorry, but I don't know of a short cut to casting consistency.

As with anything that involves 'throwing', practise and 'muscle memory' comes into it. Whether it be 'bowling' in all it's forms, javelin, discus, darts, or casting, practice is the path to consistency. That's why you see professionals doing 'warm up' sessions prior to the match. After you 'get your eye in' muscle memory takes over, and you automatically adjust the throw/cast to suit. It's also why I now restrict my fishing to around 20 yds, I've found that as I've got older, and with fewer chances to go, I don't get the practice in, and I sometimes get the 'yips', (like a muscle spasm), and the timing and power of my cast goes 'out of the window', (or into the tree).

John.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
My local lake has a lot of trees, making casting difficult so i have to cast from 9 to 12 oclock keeping rod horizontal at waist height, takes a bit of practice to not overdo it tho.

ATTICUS FINCH

A quick tip for accuracy ,
With the hand that is holding the reel point your thumb straight out and up the rod towards the tip . concentrate on pointing your thumb towards your intended target and if by magic you will cast there.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Swing the feeder in a pendulum action towards where your aiming for,, keep looking at the spot,, as the feeder, sweeps past you,, then punch the feeder with enough power to hit the clip, but as the feeder hits the clip, gently lower your rod towards the feeder, so it enters quietly. It is all about practice, if you want to get good at a certain aspect of fishing, concentrate on that, till your happy, ive been feeder flinging for 3 years now and I think I’m starting to hit the same lake twice now, in consecutive casts😂😂😂😂👍👍👍👍

Silver fan 82

Ive also found that using the right tip in your rod with relation to the weight of the feeder being used helps a lot. For a long time I was using too light a tip, used a heavier tip and my casting improved a lot.