Casting against a side wind

corkycat

I need some advice for casting against strong side winds, particularly in Ireland, on big open waters. As soon as the cast is made a left to right wind will push my end section to the right, taking my feeder and everything else with it. My rig then hits the surface 10 -20 yards away from my baited area. My rod is a Prestons Monster 13' feeder rod, mainline is 8lb mono and the feeders I use are Prestons Distance cage feeders, with the lead mounted around the bottom. Very sturdy tackle, but still gets blown off course. I have tried compensating by casting to the left, but this proves less than reliable (same as when I hit a golf shot!). Thanking you all in advance!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Cast first, feed after to where your feeder is ending up.

As with all casting, as long as you are consistent in your routine and the wind is not gusting too wildly then the feeder should end up in the same spot.

If the wind is gusting then be patient and wait for a lull or consistent blow.

You could also try casting shorter so the wind has less effect.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I normally just compensate by casting into the wind as much as I dare and using the drag of the wind on the line to draw it back to my spot. Sometimes that’s all you can do.
Don’t try and fish too far as you will be more and more inaccurate the further you go. 8lb line will cause a fair bit of drag in the wind so braid might be a better option. More weight on the feeder may also help.
So long as your feeder is landing in roughly the same place despite the wind it won’t really matter.

rudd

Site Supporter
I need some advice for casting against strong side winds, particularly in Ireland, on big open waters. As soon as the cast is made a left to right wind will push my end section to the right, taking my feeder and everything else with it. My rig then hits the surface 10 -20 yards away from my baited area. My rod is a Prestons Monster 13' feeder rod, mainline is 8lb mono and the feeders I use are Prestons Distance cage feeders, with the lead mounted around the bottom. Very sturdy tackle, but still gets blown off course. I have tried compensating by casting to the left, but this proves less than reliable (same as when I hit a golf shot!). Thanking you all in advance!
How did you bait the spot in the first place?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Use a window feeder, heavier than you need 60g maybe and get rid of the 8lb nylon for braid or thinner nylon plus a 8lb shockleader and when you cast feather the line before the feeder hits the water to take most of the bow out then with the rod tip under the water feed line until it hits the clip.
Sometimes with a constant side wind you might cast at a marker knowing the feeder will land to the left of it which is not a problem as long as it keeps landing roughly in the same area to the left.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I agree with Rudd - doesn't quite make sense.

If you can't cast accurately with a feeder to a spot, don't struggle - reduce your distance and be accurate. If you need to get a distance because you know the fish are there just use a bomb - better to not use any feed than to feed away from where your bait is landing.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Heavier metal feeder helps also as mentioned window feeder flies pretty true and cast at a mark slightly into the wind

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Use a more powerful rod with a heavier feeder coupled with a shock-leader and lighter mainline.
Aim to punch the feeder out to where you want it rather than sending it airborne and putting too much line in the air.

corkycat

How did you bait the spot in the first place?
Good question. I use an old carp rod and attach a "bait slinger" (nothing else) to chuck out my balls. Upon casting, the solid ball of bait flies to the spot. But because it leaves the rod with no line or terminal tackle following behind it, the, the wind doesn't affect its flight. Struggling to articulate, but hope this make sense.

Total

Site Supporter
Good question. I use an old carp rod and attach a "bait slinger" (nothing else) to chuck out my balls. Upon casting, the solid ball of bait flies to the spot. But because it leaves the rod with no line or terminal tackle following behind it, the, the wind doesn't affect its flight. Struggling to articulate, but hope this make sense.

^^That does make sense... (y) Then our Dave's answer above will be the favourite solution to your repetitive casting/accuracy problem.(y)

rudd

Site Supporter
Seen them sling things in action!
Why not try a few casts first then bait where feeder lands.