Casters

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
My match Saturday may be cancelled due to the weather. The fishery manager has said that it's too hot to keep fish in keepnets. No problem, he is totally correct.
We wont know until Friday, when he will assess the conditions. My issue is I've ordered my casters for Thursday(can't get to shop any other time) If the match is cancelled can I freeze the casters, I've never done it before. I've heard it's best to freeze them in water. Advice required please

smiffy

Site Supporter
Much like IanG1 I keep mine in black plastic bags. Squeeze the air out and put them in the fridge. Open every couple of days,let them breath a few minutes, then squeeze the air back out and put them back in the fridge.
Freezing them may kill them resulting in greyish casters. Not very nice 👍

muggins

paste man
Site Supporter
Much like IanG1 I keep mine in black plastic bags. Squeeze the air out and put them in the fridge. Open every couple of days,let them breath a few minutes, then squeeze the air back out and put them back in the fridge.
Freezing them may kill them resulting in greyish casters. Not very nice 👍
I wont be using them for a couple of weeks if the match is off which is why I ask the question. If I can't freeze them I'll have to cancel the casters and do wihout them if the match is deemed fishable

smiffy

Site Supporter
I wont be using them for a couple of weeks if the match is off which is why I ask the question. If I can't freeze them I'll have to cancel the casters and do wihout them if the match is deemed fishable
We used to keep casters for two weeks when we went to Holland. Yes, we needed a few fresh for hookers but if the fridge is cold you should be ok 👍

IanG1

Site Supporter
I have frozen them in the past, if you freeze as sinkers they thaw as sinkers. I took to the bank frozen in a cool bag and defrosted in water (like I do dead maggots) they don't look that good compared to fresh but caught plenty of fish on them so fish don't seem to mind. I discard end of that session.

Total

Site Supporter
You don't know how old/can't rely on how good the casters are prior to getting them, and if they will be usable after two weeks if kept in black plastic bags in the fridge (You need them as fresh as possible for long storage)......I'd cancel your caster order...(y)

davylad

Site Supporter
They'll keep for at least a fortnight in a fridge, keep changing the water if you're fussy about them smelling a touch.

grey

Site Supporter
If you want tip top casters, don't freeze them.

If you do freeze them, then save them for a water where the fish aren't fussy. Thaw them in water before you go, any floaters, just pellet pump them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you want tip top casters, don't freeze them.

If you do freeze them, then save them for a water where the fish aren't fussy. Thaw them in water before you go, any floaters, just pellet pump them.
thas a new one on me, never even thought of that, will try a bitta pumping for feed caster

if you keep caster in water for too long, they will drown and die, as they cant breathe

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
thas a new one on me, never even thought of that, will try a bitta pumping for feed caster

if you keep caster in water for too long, they will drown and die, as they cant breathe
I agree Mick, I would never have thought of pumping casters 🤔