Casters

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Bit of advice please. Due to Covid restrictions etc , for the first time I have bought some casters and worms on-line . I won't use the full amount in one session so Im asking what is the best method of storing pre-packed casters once Ive opened the bag. Do they need a different approach to fresh caster?

ps. A quick nod to Willy Worms, first class service and worms are great , first time Ive used them , but not the last.

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
Casters ......only buy what I need,
Worms .... Willy worm keeper!

Attachments

• B5F80208-3EFF-4B57-825F-B95C41258D08.jpeg
    B5F80208-3EFF-4B57-825F-B95C41258D08.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 18

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Casters may last a few days if you cover them with damp newspaper and pop them in a fridge, don't let them sit in water.

davylad

You'll get a few answers on this one Capt. I went quite a few years in the past, rarely using anything else but casters. I'm not familiar with pre packed, but have tried all the other methods of keeping them. Sometimes with water sometimes without, but one thing for certain, they don't have to be fresh to catch on them. It was only on odd occasions that I had to keep them, as I had a constant supply of maggots on the go, I myself used to have a enough for the hook that hadn't been in water, as I could get them better for hooking. I'd just change the water once or twice a day, and like I said, don't worry too much if they smell a little. I'm not talking where you can smell them at the top of your street mind.

Carp attack

I've been told in past by anglers whose big quantitys to put them in water an actually freeze them,,, not a bait I use a awful lot of tho so dont know if this was good or bad information,,,

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
Buying only what I need on-line would work out very expensive with postage. I probably use less than half a pint a session at this time of year.
Only buying on line at the moment due to essential travel only!
Fishing is essential where as work isn’t 😊

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
I had a pint of casters spare mid november, i covered them in fresh water and put them in my bait freezer, i didnt manage to get on the bank as planned so 3 weeks later decided to feed them to birds, when i took lid off bait box they just looked like they did when i bought them, after they had thawed out they still smelt fresh and were still crispy, ive never frozen them before but will defo do it when necessary in future.

davylad

Do you know that's one thing I never tried to be honest, I would have expected them to hum a bit. :)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I had a pint of casters spare mid november, i covered them in fresh water and put them in my bait freezer, i didnt manage to get on the bank as planned so 3 weeks later decided to feed them to birds, when i took lid off bait box they just looked like they did when i bought them, after they had thawed out they still smelt fresh and were still crispy, ive never frozen them before but will defo do it when necessary in future.
Hmmm, interesting that.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Do you know that's one thing I never tried to be honest, I would have expected them to hum a bit. :)
Ive thrown gallons away over years because somebody once told me they were no good after been frozen, will experiment in future in groundbait and on hook before i throw away.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Putting them into the freezer killed them
They looked the same when they thawed out for the same reason that a fishfinger looks the same when it exits the freezer as it did when it entered it. :p
Once defrosted they will deteriorate very quickly - you might get away with using them for a few hours but I wouldn't use it as a long-term strategy

As far as the pre-packed casters it depends if they're alive or dead when you receive them.
Take a handful of the lighter coloured ones out, leave them overnight and see if they change colour - if they do, they're obviously alive so treat them as you would fresh ones. If they remain the same colour they're dead and I don't know how to preserve those.

Simon

rudd

Site Supporter
Casters may last a few days if you cover them with damp newspaper and pop them in a fridge, don't let them sit in water.
Almost 😉

Put in a deep bait tub.
Put in a layer of damp newspaper.
Take a large piece of clingfilm and push it down forcing out as much air as possible with four sides up sides of bait box and over lip.
Put on lid.
Put in bottom of fridge (salad crisper) as is a bit warmer than rest of fridge.

This stops fridgeburn and slows down the caster into fly process.
Change damp newspaper daily.

trotter2

Frozen casters when defrosted turn black in a few hours. The best way I have found is put them in a pellet pump draw th he air out and put the lot in the fridge. Keep for a few days.