Caster

sapperrich

My local tackle shop sells casters in pre-sealed plastic bags, does anybody know how long these can be kept unopened in fridge before becoming unusable? Cheers guys.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It depend on who did them, how long they were sealed up and also if they have been dipped in preservative before packing all which have an impact on shelf life.
Once the insides of the caster die from suffocation usually 3 days or slightly more if well chilled they will turn greyish/black very quickly once opened.

sapperrich

It depend on who did them, how long they were sealed up and also if they have been dipped in preservative before packing all which have an impact on shelf life.
Once the insides of the caster die from suffocation usually 3 days or slightly more if well chilled they will turn greyish/black very quickly once opened.
Got these from local Angling Direct. I usually us them same day, but had to cancel session hence the question. they've been in fridge 4 days think i'll just chuck em.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Average commercial I would not be too bothered about feeding them,and if you keep them another week then feed them to the birds they will eat every one no matter what they look like.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
if you have had them for 4 days and they look ok why not simply try them on a quick trip and then you know how long you can keep them for, if you through them you dont have any reference

feldri

Site Supporter
I've kept casters in a black bag in the fridge for two weeks. When you take them out just bung them in a bait tub and cover with water.
If I've had them that long then I just bin the remaining ones after the session because once removed from the water they will quickly go off.

Feldy

I've had sealed bags from Willy Worms that look as good after a week in the fridge as the day they arrived.