Caster Shallow

PaulCo

Hello All,

Andy Power recently won the Gizmo angling match at Heronbrook with a new match record of 386.00 Ib, a fantastic achievement in my book. He admitted to using 8 - 10 pints of caster during the match. My question is would/could the result have been the same if he had used say half the amount of bait. I am not knocking Andy here in any way, a great weight by a fantastic angler. it maybe the case that only Andy knows the answer to this or maybe other switched on F1 anglers would have an idea.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wouldn't have thought so Paul. I sit and watch the carp in my pond and while ever you are throwing bait in they will eat. Especially in Autumn time when they are building their reserves up for the oncoming winter months. It's as though they give priority to bait going in on the surface and the noise it makes. I see them basically ignore food on or near the bottom until the feeding stops. For that amount of weight Id say he would need that amount of caster. A couple of years ago I had 250+ lb out of bankend fishery and I used 7 pints of 6mm pellet on the pellet waggler and slow sinking bomb. It's easily done. ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
A little tip if yer gonna try it put a Fake caster on yer Hook it saves time and i caught 198 pound without changing the Hookbait, i only used 4 pints feed as well.

PaulCo

Thanks each for comments. Yes it is a method I have tried and very much liked, even though Im getting on in years a bit.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Wise Owl is right there. Try a banded rubber caster. You certainly don't want to be putting a new caster on every fish. ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Wise Owl is right there. Try a banded rubber caster. You certainly don't want to be putting a new caster on every fish. ?

I threaded a Rubber Caster up the shank of the size 16 hook till it was more or less on the line, when i put the rig back on the winder the caster was still on.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I threaded a Rubber Caster up the shank of the size 16 hook till it was more or less on the line, when i put the rig back on the winder the caster was still on.
Do you know Wise Owl, I've never hooked them always banded them. I'll try that. You learn something new everyday don't ya ? ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Dont Know mate but everyone on our Club match knew what i was doing, same as i Had some Hooklengths with a banded 6mm pellet coated in Clear nail varnish which kepth the Pellet on the band and dry only changed 3 times in a 6 hour Match.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Seriously ? What's a pellet then ?
seriously - although the latest version online (2009) is quite different to what I remember from when i took it seriously in the 1990s

anyway - the published version appears open to interpretation:

rule 11: Any bait, subject to local rules, can be used except live or dead fish, frogs spinning baits or artificial lures.

I have always understood that term to include anything made of plastic, wood, glass fibre, rubber etc.

Perhaps I'm wrong ....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
seriously - although the latest version online (2009) is quite different to what I remember from when i took it seriously in the 1990s

anyway - the published version appears open to interpretation:

rule 11: Any bait, subject to local rules, can be used except live or dead fish, frogs spinning baits or artificial lures.

I have always understood that term to include anything made of plastic, wood, glass fibre, rubber etc.

Perhaps I'm wrong ....
No no you're not wrong .... I don't think. You maybe right in fact. I've not given it that much thought. The very last match I fished was won by a guy using punched potato soaked in tea to colour. No one battered an eyelid. Good question NoCarpPlease. Maybe worth starting a new thread there pal. ?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I have won matches in the past on the Glebe with half that weight but still fed 8/10 pints of caster because as soon as you stop putting it in they wander off and you are left waiting for bites, never shovel it in but feed every put in with enough to keep them happy but still competing for food.
I firmly believe it is impossible to over feed caster or maggot for that matter.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
back on the topic - back at the peak of the chub explosion (30 years ago) it was common to feed a gallon of maggot and aim to catch just 4 or 5 fish for 15 pounds.

Seems like good value really :p

endpeg

Done a fair bit of this this year, imo if everyone is doing it you need to keep feeding plenty to keep them in your peg 8 pints will last 5hrs.
Also rubber Casters are banned imitation baits, a worm head or a 6mm red pellet are better than a banded caster once your baggin!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I have won matches in the past on the Glebe with half that weight but still fed 8/10 pints of caster because as soon as you stop putting it in they wander off and you are left waiting for bites, never shovel it in but feed every put in with enough to keep them happy but still competing for food.
I firmly believe it is impossible to over feed caster or maggot for that matter.
when fishing for carp .... should be the caveat on that ... and in the summer.

rudd

Site Supporter
Three pints of 6mm pellet in two hours last week - 8 fish of approx 10lb on pellet waggler and lost a few.

Paul22

John allerton was famous for winning matches on the Trent with just a couple of pints of casters or maggots....... in a magazine article he said he does the same on commercial waters these days !
In answer to the question.... who knows? I would imagine he could have used less but would he have had the same results?
He might as well used the bait he had it and probably thought bang it in take no risks.

Zerkalo

386lb is a huge weight. Maybe could have done the same with pellets but maybe not. Casters are quite special.