Carrying Rod Holdalls on Roof bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

rourke7719

Big Stu
Hi all,

Just a general question.

How many of you out there carry your rod holdalls on roof bars when travelling to your chosen fisheries?

I ask because I take a mate that can't drive when we go to our club matches and my trusty old vecra gets a little bit tight for space inside with both our gear so I was thinking of getting a set of roof bars for the rods.

Can anyone provide any tips for securely strapping them in place? One of the doubts/worries that I have is me having to apply the breaks only to watch our holdalls launch off the roof like a missile.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Best bet is to invest in a roofbox that is long enough to accommodate skis. But be aware that your roof will have a max load that should be in the handbook.

But are you seriously saying you can't get two people and tackle in a Vectra?

I remember when I got four people and tackle into a minivan. Those were the days.

rourke7719

Big Stu
I didn't say I couldn't get two people and tackle in the Vectra, I just said it was tight, the rod holdalls are the main problem because they come through into the front and we have to tilt our heads out of the way which don't make for safe driving conditions.

Bear in mind we need to get in 2 seat boxes, one is a space station the other is a TD200, then we have the carryalls which are not small, plus keepnet stink bags, then bait bags and clothing and other such bits and bobs. Plus trolleys and wheel kits then the rod holdalls, which are not small. A Vectra is not as big inside as you might think

Last edited:

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
im with rourke on this one, no way i could get my gear and another persons on my vectra, thats why i shove our lot in the van...

cess monkey

Use normal luggage bungees. Make sure you pass at least one of them through the handles of the holdalls. I used roof bars for years before getting a van and i never lost anything off the roof.
Give them a good ragging about before you set off, if you cant move them, the wind won`t!

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
Get a couple of lengths of plastic pipe that you can fit your holdall in then secure these by bungee nice and tight. Get some end caps or whatever they are called in the trade. Plumb centres and the like should sort you out!

pieman

Originally posted by djandymartin

Get a couple of lengths of plastic pipe that you can fit your holdall in then secure these by bungee nice and tight. Get some end caps or whatever they are called in the trade. Plumb centres and the like should sort you out!

They'd have to be bloody big pipes, i'm with cess monkey, go with the bungee elastics mate.[:T]

Fisherman-NL

Invest in a roofbox cause you wouldn't be the first who sees his holdall bouncing across the motorway. A friend of mine lost his carpholdall because it got loose while driving 70mph....'only' his holdall got damaged.

Look at it this way. You probably have many hundreds even thousands inside that holdall. A roofbox is about 200 quid....

DavyP

Peanut
Get yourself a nice big tarpaulin and lay this over the bars, then stick your rod holdalls on and wrap the taurp over both ends and secure with either ratchet straps or just normal bungee straps over the taurp securing the holdalls to the bars with no chance of anything slipping out and keeping the ends dry in case of rain.

greentura

Greenie
i got a ski box/roof box for 30 at a boot fair for my rods and still use it for holidays. having a vivaro long wheel base is much easier but can't get wife and kids in it so still have to use the box on the car. best 30 i've spent on luggage[:T]

we managed to get it on our 205 gti with an extra set of holes drilled in the base, worked well enough but couldn't fully open the tailgate with it on and could see it above the windscreen[:D] looked like a grey hotdog role on a dinky toy[;)]

keith74

THFC
I use roof bars when going on longer journeys. i use 4 bungee straps,make sure they are long enough to hook onto one end of the bar(side of bar) then wrap right round the holdalls and across to the other side of the bars... What i also do is after securing with the bungees, get some of those plastic cable ties(largest size)and put these around the shoulder straps of the holdalls and the bar itself and pull tight, its just for peace of mind really in case the bungee pings. Make sure you have sharp scissors or a knife to hand at the other end to cut the cable ties off.

rawww

Put the bags on the roof rack then tie a length of rope to one corner of it, from there go in a zig zag pattern from side to side down the rack but looping around the bags in each zig, 1st one under 2nd one over alternating all the way down pull it nice and tight then tie it at the far corner from where you started. What this basically does is when you brake and the rods think about sliding forward it just pulls the rope tighter stopping it from moving. Used this system to tie the 15ft or so lath bundles for roofing to the top of a transit van and never had any come off.

rawww

Originally posted by rawww

Put the bags on the roof rack then tie a length of rope to one corner of it, from there go in a zig zag pattern from side to side down the rack but looping around the bags in each zig, 1st one under 2nd one over alternating all the way down pull it nice and tight then tie it at the far corner from where you started. What this basically does is when you brake and the rods think about sliding forward it just pulls the rope tighter stopping it from moving. Used this system to tie the 15ft or so lath bundles for roofing to the top of a transit van and never had any come off.

Scratch that just remembered it only used to work cause you could stand on the roof and pull the rope tight against the wooden platform.

Hatchye

I used to use a handirack for mine. It's basically an set of inflatable roofbars that strap directly to the roof, but when you tighten the holdalls to them you don't run the risk of crushing anything.Also has the benefit of being easy to fit and can fit most cars![:T]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Get yourself a Red Bull Mini with built on rod carrier....

014.jpg

Or failing that a pair of roof bars but don't skimp and buy cheap and nasty ones, get some decent bars designed for the car - try Halfrauds or even the dealers

Once you do so make sure you put your rod holdalls on facing top end forward so that the wind cannot open up any pockets, then get yourself two small ratchet straps and put one strap on one roof bar and wrap it around the rod holdalls to secure them, and then use the other strap around the other bar and the holdalls

A lot of people make the mistake of wrapping straps across luggage and then from one bar to the next when all you need to do is wrap one strap per bar.
Also don't rely on bungee cords as they only secure stuff to roof racks as tight as the elastic will hold. When you get wind pressure forcing the holdalls up the elastic will stretch and the holdalls will become lose - I've seen these straps break before and more commonly the metal hooks straighten out when under too much pressure.

rourke7719

Big Stu
Thanks for the advice guys

Anyone got any photos of how they secure holdalls to the bars? As they say a picture is worth a thousand words?

fishmadbert

Carrying Holdalls on Roof bars.

Don't whatever you do use bungee's to secure your holdall's to roof bars. You might think they are tight when you load them up. But the faster you drive the more wind resistance builds up and you'll find your gear on the side of the motorway, Trust me it will happen, it did to me [:C], Use ratchet straps or rope, something that doesn't stretch.

Cheers Fishmadbert[:W]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Easy, if using the ratchet straps, throw away the ratchet end as you don't need it for bars and will more than likely damage something

Place holdall over bar,
Wrap hook end of strap around bar a couple of times nearest to you then trap the strap in the hook
Put strap over holdall away from you, down and under bar, up and back over holdall towards you, pull tight but not overly tight to break something,
back under bar and up and back over holdall going away from you, back under bar again and up and over holdall towards you, pull tight again.
Keep doing this until you've got about two foot of strap left and then thread it around the straps going up over the holdall nearest to you and tie a couple of half hitches in it to secure it

There's no way your holdalls will come off or slide out if tied in this fashion

Then repeat with the other bar and strap

MALC

Makes me laugh when people say they struggle to get 2 lots of gear and 2 people in some thing like a Vectra.[?]

I can get 3 people and 2 lots of gear in the Pug (proved again on Saturday) and thats only a 106 and believe me there was no shortage of gear taken.[:D]

And the back seat dont go down.

Always draws a crowd when it's time to re-load for the return journey as nobody ever thinks it'll fit.
[:D][:D]

nohair

have done something like this before ended up getting drain pipe and brackets and screwing them down to roof bars get blanking caps for either end

Status
Not open for further replies.