Carrying kit

trotter2

I take very little. A Shakespeare rucksack seat which holds all I need floats, shot, hook lengths, maggots. Take one rod and a landing net. Job done.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you fish a five hour match, assuming you cast out once every 10 minutes, you'd only cast 30 times in total, plus the odd additional cast when you've mis-cast or caught/missed a bite.

Double up for pole fishing, and it puts it into perspective

(Don't ask me what 'it' is though ;) )

Browner

20180915_125732.jpg

There was... just not in that shot
I like your style. That’s my kind of fishing, only not cane.
I like the fact you use a pole float on running line. One of my favourite methods, especially with bread punch.

Louis D

Site Supporter
I like your style. That’s my kind of fishing, only not cane.
I like the fact you use a pole float on running line. One of my favourite methods, especially with bread punch.
That's not a pole float, looks like a Drennan crystal Avon. Should've been a proper Topper.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I take very little. A Shakespeare rucksack seat which holds all I need floats, shot, hook lengths, maggots. Take one rod and a landing net. Job done.
I also use the Shakespear seat/rucksack but its a bit hard on the bum so I have purchased the slightly larger Shakespear seat with
the built in rod rest underneath. Now going to put the rucksack on the back of that, haven`t got round to it yet but it should work.

You know those fold up garden chairs with the valise well I use one of those bags for a rod holdall. Five piece youngs trotter or five
piece avon along with a four piece telescopic landing net and folding net. Perfect for on a bike or bus or just leaving in the boot for
when your only fishing for a couple of hours, had no end of impromtu sessions when with a full kit it would have been impractical.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha total, no cars are allowed on the banks of my club lakes but that does not matter because the car parks are large and many
swims are a short walk. However last year two anglers decided to fish the far end of the main lake, quite a distance.

They actually manhandled a sizable camping trailer all the way, I have never in all my years as an angler seen so much stuff. Chefster`s
trolley was a fleabite by comparison, I thought they were mad but they seemed quite happy.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I thought it was a Drennan Crystal Margin. My mistake.
You are right, it is a Crystal Margin... and the river is too small for a topper... in some places an inch or so deep... and so narrow its less than a shoes length wide... it's the River Wallington in Portsmouth... (the two pictures are different rods too... the one with the landing net is next to a specially made 8' rod for Specimen Gonk Hunting, the one without is a 9' 7" small river rod made from a Chinese cane spinning rod... the net is used everywhere as it folds up small enough to slip into that bag

trotter2

I also use the Shakespear seat/rucksack but its a bit hard on the bum so I have purchased the slightly larger Shakespear seat with
the built in rod rest underneath. Now going to put the rucksack on the back of that, haven`t got round to it yet but it should work.

You know those fold up garden chairs with the valise well I use one of those bags for a rod holdall. Five piece youngs trotter or five
piece avon along with a four piece telescopic landing net and folding net. Perfect for on a bike or bus or just leaving in the boot for
when your only fishing for a couple of hours, had no end of impromtu sessions when with a full kit it would have been impractical.
If going for a long session I take a piece of foam which is covered in some black waterproof material. This goes on top of the shakespeare seat. It makes a difference when sitting for a long time. The foam also doubles up as an unhooking mate.
Great piece of kit those shakespeare type rucksack seats👍

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
If going for a long session I take a piece of foam which is covered in some black waterproof material. This goes on top of the shakespeare seat. It makes a difference when sitting for a long time. The foam also doubles up as an unhooking mate.
Don’t you get a slimey a**e, when you sit back down, after you’ve used it as an unhooking mat ??

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Good grief!

I wrote that in 2014 and many more since...
I'm an ex match angler that prefers to fish to his own rules nowadays. In spring I'm up at 04:30 and on the canal bank at 05:30 as I'm a Bream angler at heart. Our club canal stretch is 6 miles long and as I don't drive I fish it with the use of my Frenzee HGV trolley. I'm not your usual type of canal angler, but used to be. I've fished the cut for over 37 years, I'm now 48. I'm a big fish man... I mainly fish bread nowadays for Bream, Roach, and Chub but in the past I'd happily fish corn with liquidised corn, punched meat with riddled Meat, lobworm with dendrahbena, 6mm expander with micros, not your usual canal type baits. My prize for looking outside of the box is Carp to 21lb+, Perch to 3lb+, Roach to 2lb+, Ide to 3lb+, Pike to 10lb+, Bream to 7lb+, Hybrids to 3lb+, Nets of Bream to 50lb+ etc etc My kit looks a bit overkill but when you weigh up long distances, lots of bait, big nets, finicky Bream, and long hours spent on the bank personally I think it does warrant it! Not to say I've not bagged Bream with nothing more than a rod, reel, net, and a loaf of bread 👍🏻

Tight Lines Jonathan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201229_104729.jpg
    Screenshot_20201229_104729.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 1215.jpg
    1215.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 4

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello trot, piece of foam you say, hmmm.... sounds like a good idea.

Yes the rucksack/seat is very handy but for some reason after an hour or two it gives me sharp pain in the right hip area.

Browner

You are right, it is a Crystal Margin... and the river is too small for a topper... in some places an inch or so deep... and so narrow its less than a shoes length wide... it's the River Wallington in Portsmouth... (the two pictures are different rods too... the one with the landing net is next to a specially made 8' rod for Specimen Gonk Hunting, the one without is a 9' 7" small river rod made from a Chinese cane spinning rod... the net is used everywhere as it folds up small enough to slip into that bag
Could you tell me what the net is please.
Just got a Korum Opportunist handle that will strap on the top of my bag but could do with a small folding net.
Got a few Korum ones but even the 26” version is quite big and heavy.
Currently clip a non folding net to my bag.