Carrying kit

CarpCatcher86

My silvers match series starts next Sunday, 3 feeder rods and 3 waggler rods, is the minimum I will take
How many will you actually use though?
I blame youtube videos for one. I have seen several Drennan and Preston Innovations sponsored anglers who have three or more rods all set up and ready to go. How many of those rods they actually use is never mentioned. I wonder how many people watch such videos and believe that in order to catch as many fish as the men in the video did, they need the same amount of gear.

piscatorial

Loads of roller bags will take 2 rollers, for instance my MVR roller bag takes 2 MVR rollers, however there isn’t a bag made that will house 2 Signature Pro rollers, so I have to take them in their own original bags
How about Prestons Supera Roller and Roost Bag 1000x250x350

matt

Site Supporter
In my opinion, it’s all relative and you can take as much or as little gear with you as you like. It’s completely up to you how you want to enjoy your sport.
If I’m trotting on the river then it will be 1 rod with a small bag for the roving approach which is the complete opposite to when I used to match fish when it really would be everything plus the kitchen sink and an estate car loaded up with gear and 5 or 6 trips backwards and forwards from car to peg!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It all just comes down to how much you want to take, as what you need to take and what you think you need to take are probably two different things. People are free to take what they want. It's stupid to say to people they shouldn't take so much but it's probably even more stupid to say people don't take enough/need to take more if their results suggest otherwise. You can easily not give yourself enough options but it's also easy to take too much and confuse your judgement but as long as you're happy that's all that really matters.

I see the match anglers here that range from a ton of gear to others than don't take anymore than I do for pleasure fishing on the odd occasion I do go fully loaded up and one style doesn't seem to do any better than the other. Seems a couple float rods, a feeder rod, maybe a pole and a couple whips covers pretty much all the fishing they do so some appear to only have that and others have twice that much. For pleasure fishing that would certainly be ample with half that enough to more than get by if you don't pleasure fish at 100% which few of us do, I can't recall ever using more than 3 set ups in a session myself.

JLK

I blame youtube videos for one. I have seen several Drennan and Preston Innovations sponsored anglers who have three or more rods all set up and ready to go. How many of those rods they actually use is never mentioned. I wonder how many people watch such videos and believe that in order to catch as many fish as the men in the video did, they need the same amount of gear.
If you have to ask that question then I can only assume that you haven't really match fished, contrary to what you keep saying. Otherwise you would appreciate why people take that much kit and wouldnt even be asking the question.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Nobody with a brain will think that 😂😂😂

Marker50

Site Supporter
On my next pleasure session from now on only going to have 5 made up rods on roost.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I would think 3 or 4 rods/outfits on a river must be pretty much the default to use in a match. You're at least going to have a stick set up, a waggler set up, a feeder set up and maybe a whip or pole that'll all likely get a bit of a look at some point.

CarpCatcher86

If you have to ask that question then I can only assume that you haven't really match fished, contrary to what you keep saying. Otherwise you would appreciate why people take that much kit and wouldnt even be asking the question.
I fished and won countless matches with a float rod and reel, a feeder rod and reel, a selection of floats feeders hooks and shot, buckets to mix groundbait in, a chair to sit on plus a landing net and handle and a keepnet while all those around me were using poles and carrying so much gear that a transit van backed up to their peg would have been more suitable than a trolley.
Even back then when asking my competitors why they carried so much gear I would get such comments as, I never know what I might need so I would rather bring it and not need it rather than need it and not bring it, or the main comment was, you are only jealous because you don't have this much gear, all were silenced very quickly when the man with the waggler rod and hardly any gear ended up beating them. Usually using a pint or two of maggot instead of a small fortune in new fangled pellets.

matt

Site Supporter
With prices these days, maggots are much more expensive than pellets!

CarpCatcher86

With prices these days, maggots are much more expensive than pellets!
I know, but that wasn't the case 16 years ago.
Having said that, a pint of maggots will cost roughly £3 these days while a 700g bag of 2 4 or 6mm pellets will cost you roughly £4, depending on brand of course. Not a great deal of difference I know.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Having said that, a pint of maggots will cost roughly £3 these days while a 700g bag of 2 4 or 6mm pellets will cost you roughly £4, depending on brand of course. Not a great deal of difference I know.
Whereas a loaf of Warburtons... 😉

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I don't get this thread.....surely you take what you want to cover your needs depending on the venue and circumstances.....for a pleasure session on a venue you know well then you take what you need and leave home all the other extra...for a match and to be consistently competitive then you need to cover all bases....for a short river roaming session 1 rod and a bag of bits seems sensible......
I only pleasure fish nowadays. I can get to the canal and it could be crystal clear hence the pole stays in the holdall and my float rod comes out. I might start on the pole long on a wide and the wind picks up, in that case the pole goes away and my tip rod comes out. I might get to the cut and the weed has overtaken the canal, happened a lot during lockdown. Then I would fish a whip close in as that was the clearest part. As previously mentioned the only item I can't guarantee to use is my fishing umbrella.

Tight Lines Jonathan

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I only fish commercials once or twice a year, with mates, as a craic 'match'. I win every time using nothing but bread. I either set my stall out for silvers or carp, I decide on the day. But I win, on bread 🙂