Carpole Tunnel Syndrome

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Can you still put light elastics, say 2 to 4, in a pole with Carp written on the side of it?

You always used to be able to but this was before manufacturers started offering a variety of different power, match, short etc kits.

And that's that for tonights inane question... 🙇‍♂️

Also while I think of it we used to elasticate the lightest of elastics through only the top section, I've read that people put them through a full kit now?

Disclaimer - know nothing about modern pole fishing. 😁

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Can you still put light elastics, say 2 to 4, in a pole with Carp written on the side of it?

You always used to be able to but this was before manufacturers started offering a variety of different power, match, short etc kits.

Also while I think of it we used to elasticate the lightest of elastics through only the top section, I've read that people put them through a full kit now?

I can see that. I bet you’re still using the old Zim elastics aren’t ya pal ? 🙄🤣🤣

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can see that. I bet you’re still using the old Zim elastics aren’t ya pal ? 🙄🤣🤣
I remember that we used to use ones rated 2 but can't remember Zim until I started reading the name on here. I do remember Purple Haze groundbait though and Zim rings a bell from around the same time.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I remember that we used to use ones rated 2 but can't remember Zim until I started reading the name on here. I do remember Purple Haze groundbait though and Zim rings a bell from around the same time.

Yeah. We used Zim 1, 2 and 3 on the canals with Au lion D’or size 32 hooks. Get a 3oz roach on Zim 1 and it took you all over the canal. 🤣🤣

JLK

All my top kits for winter silver fishing have 3/4/5 Preston slip in them through the full top kits. Three weeks ago I landed 5 carp out of a total of 14 hooked on number 4 slip on my skimmer lines. One was pushing double figures.
Out of 15 top kits set up this way 10 are match kits with pulla bungs and 5 are side pullers.
No issues doing it like this at all.

scuttster

Site Supporter
I'm sure I saw somewhere that carp and power kits disintegrate when used with elastic below a certain rating!!

Though seriously power kits tend to be larger bored on the top kit meaning larger bushes can be fitted for the thicker elastics. People have posted previously that due to this when using lighter elastics they will often use a double internal bush the first steps down the bore for the 2nd bush to fit which is more suitable to the light elastics.

As to the elasticating through more than the top sections I think side pullers have a lot to do with it and also often you would have the thin number one section which was elasticated when associated with silver poles and top kits. these are not supplied with carp poles so your top 2 is actually the number 2 and 3 section of the pole!!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thanks for replies! As it was just more out of curiosity than anything.

My first pole was a Milo Carp Crusader back in about 1997. Spot on up to 11m which was enough for local canal fishing. Of course, I have an eye on a new pole for next year, but then I remember the canals aren't what they used to be round here anyway, so I'll be looking for an all rounder.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Carpal tunnel syndrome 😳
Had both my wrist done after 25 years of production line work.
But strangely the independent expert says it nothing to do with that it more to do that I was 2stone overweight.
Strange world we live in.
Ps. I also know not a lot about pole fishing
But got a shakey telescope pole for Xmas when I was a kid must be over 40/45 years ago. Still in shed 🤣

bricky72

Site Supporter
I’ve got light elastics just though my number 1 section (browning silverlite and z9-2 ) for both winter silvers and canal fishing
I’ve found if go though my full top kit at 2.6 m long on z9-2 and 2.75 on silverlite there was to much stretch in the light elastic so putting just though top section made it easier and not had any issues landing bigger fish

I mainly use middy hi vis green purple orange and also Preston 2/3/4/5 depending on venue and size of fish
found also that solids are better than hollows for this type of fishing

I use either a very small winder bung cut down to fit inside section or a little cap with a hook on that sits at bottom of number one section both ways work again personal preference

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Carpal tunnel syndrome 😳
Had both my wrist done after 25 years of production line work.
But strangely the independent expert says it nothing to do with that it more to do that I was 2stone overweight.
Strange world we live in.
Ps. I also know not a lot about pole fishing
But got a shakey telescope pole for Xmas when I was a kid must be over 40/45 years ago. Still in shed 🤣
Not had mine done yet not serious enough to warrant it I reckon- just loved upsetting the surgeon - don't use poles - make me feel twitchy!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
If you've got the money to get a decent pole, then look for one with a good topkit package. Some have a couple of match kits, carp kits and maybe shallow kits.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
If you find the bore is too big you can always Russian Doll two or three bushes.
I have some cut down power kits with NG Ultra Core 2.8mm that have three bushes in them ( I could not find a bush big enough so second bush expands the 1st. Third is required to get is close to a normal power kit size)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you don't use very light elastics that often but want some 'just in case' don't throw away your number one sections, instead....

- keep a match 2nd section spare and find a bung that fits it.
- put a suitably sized bush onto your number 1 sections
- thread elastic through the number 1 with a connector tied to the end leaving the elastic out of the wide end dangling
- slide the no1 section up the number two
- fit the bung and adjust to suit.

- Now, slide the no1 back out of the number 2, bush and all
- then repeat with your remaining number 1's

You'll end up with several number 1's elasticated ready to use by telescoping them with the number two.
If you're likely to use them on a more regular basis, keep a few number 2's spare, or simply strip down other match kits in readiness.

rudd

Site Supporter

Of course you can, I have solid 4 to solid 20 in my top kits.
Match kits 2 to 12
Power kits take up to 22

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers all. (y)

I'm looking at a Drennan Acolyte Pro Carp 14.5m pole next year. I think it comes with 4 power and 2 match kits. I will be using it mostly for Carp thinking about it anyway, as would be loathe to risk it on a canal and I don't fish them anywhere near what I used to. Just thinking back to the poles I used to use on the canal as so much has changed since then.