Carping

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It’s not for me but proper carp angling (big waters, big fish not fishing a commercial for 15 pounders with 2lb tc) is very impressive. Trying to fool just a few big wise fish that have been fooled before at long distances with fairly crude tackle (needed given the size of fish and waters) is an art for sure. Would bore me silly sitting there for days (admittedly often in very nice scenery) on end for often not many fish of just one species but you’ve got to admire those that pull it off as it’s hard fishing for sure for often very impressive fish.

rudd

Site Supporter
It’s not for me but proper carp angling (big waters, big fish not fishing a commercial for 15 pounders with 2lb tc) is very impressive. Trying to fool just a few big wise fish that have been fooled before at long distances with fairly crude tackle (needed given the size of fish and waters) is an art for sure. Would bore me silly sitting there for days (admittedly often in very nice scenery) on end for often not many fish of just one species but you’ve got to admire those that pull it off as it’s hard fishing for sure for often very impressive fish.
Top end carp gear is far from crude - alot of the cheaper end stuff can be but I have found that in all angling disciplines.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Top end carp gear is far from crude - alot of the cheaper end stuff can be but I have found that in all angling disciplines.
Crude wasn't really the right word there tbf, not very subtle is more what I meant. The art is making that gear appear more subtle to the fish I guess ??

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Wasting your time Rudd,has an opinion on every type of angling discipline but in most cases has had no experience in what is actually involved or even done it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Wasting your time Rudd,has an opinion on everything but no experience in what is actually involved or ever done it.
I really don't know what your problem is mate. I do a post actively praising carping and you still find fault. Don't think anyone ever moans about you yet you spend a lot of time moaning about others. All I was saying is that it's very impressive how they fool wily fish on heavy gear. For once though you are actually correct I have never done this one and do know very little about it ?

rudd

Site Supporter
Crude wasn't really the right word there tbf, not very subtle is more what I meant. The art is making that gear appear more subtle to the fish I guess ??
? I would say over the last decade more R&D has gone into Carp/Specimen end gear than any other discipline to make rigs more subtle.
So much so that its been miniaturized by companies like Guru for match/pleasure anglers.
Mind you, I fish 4/0 to 7/0 pennel pulley rigs off tbe beach - they are crude!?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
? I would say over the last decade more R&D has gone into Carp/Specimen end gear than any other discipline to make rigs more subtle.
So much so that its been miniaturized by companies like Guru for match/pleasure anglers.
Mind you, I fish 4/0 to 7/0 penbal pulley rigs off tbe beach - they are crude!?
True it's been developed to almost scientific levels hasn't it. Lads in my local tackle shop do quite a bit of carping and listening to the depths they go to is fascinating. It's like a different language.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I don't understand carp fishing but if it floats your boat then do it. I suppose it is my match background that wants to see bites and be active. I don't care if those bites come from commercial carp or small silvers on the canal. Like every angler I have had blank days. But by the end of those days I know I have tried everything I can think of to get the bites I crave.

It may be the same in the speci carp world, I suspect it is, that those that work hard, put in effort and imagination get the better results. Then there will be those that just follow what they have read or seen without thinking too much about their fishing.

I only have one negative observation, why oh why do you need a bite alarm, "carp" gear and a 42 inch landing net when fishing a 14m wide snake lake that has a one rod rule and carp up to ten pound max.

Re the latter Neil, as frustrating as it is, its for several reasons people do that:
First and foremost they have paid to fish/are members and will fish how they choose and what suits what they want from the day/session.
They have been influenced by marketing based advertising of such kit.
They won't be able to access the select type of venue where said tackle is advertised on more often than not (the small print that isn't made clear in any of 'those' shows)
In some cases the person they paid their money too doesn't really care how they fish.
They tend to be part of the casual or newbie branch of the sport and may not appreciate without education on matters, that it may not be the best way to fish a certain venue, if they wish to catch fish-refer to point one, not all do.

This way of fishing is massive now with the recent surge and on many a venue where it may not be best suited.

Some may be open to some education, if so great. Some may not be and are happy enough, but i know what you mean, that happiness is usually at the expense of others. Had it myself the other day at Decoy of all places, who i always thought were quite strict on things. Group of lads chucking here there and everywhere, cracking off with 2-3oz fixed leads, walking around and trying in every free peg, making a racket etc.

A day out fishing has changed alot recently and the other day i came to the conclusion that, they had paid their money, didn't know any better and above all the fishery were happy with them on there, well, as happy as they could be, without getting around and actually seeing, then judging what was going on, and that's the key on open to all waters, those running the fisheries are the only judges that matter.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Re the latter Neil, as frustrating as it is, its for several reasons people do that:
First and foremost they have paid to fish/are members and will fish how they choose and what suits what they want from the day/session.
They have been influenced by marketing based advertising of such kit.
They won't be able to access the select type of venue where said tackle is advertised on more often than not (the small print that isn't made clear in any of 'those' shows)
In some cases the person they paid their money too doesn't really care how they fish.
They tend to be part of the casual or newbie branch of the sport and may not appreciate without education on matters, that it may not be the best way to fish a certain venue, if they wish to catch fish-refer to point one, not all do.

This way of fishing is massive now with the recent surge and on many a venue where it may not be best suited.

Some may be open to some education, if so great. Some may not be and are happy enough, but i know what you mean, that happiness is usually at the expense of others. Had it myself the other day at Decoy of all places, who i always thought were quite strict on things. Group of lads chucking here there and everywhere, cracking off with 2-3oz fixed leads, walking around and trying in every free peg, making a racket etc.

A day out fishing has changed alot recently and the other day i came to the conclusion that, they had paid their money, didn't know any better and above all the fishery were happy with them on there, well, as happy as they could be, without getting around and actually seeing, then judging what was going on, and that's the key on open to all waters, those running the fisheries are the only judges that matter.

Yikes - I fish a council run free lake that is facing closure for behaviours significantly less severe than that. Lots of lads fishing for the carp but the fish mostly being secondary to having a good time bankside with mates.

As a local said to me last weekend, the situation would probably be worse without the responsible anglers on site which keeps the most extreme behaviours in check.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There are bad behaviours in all branches of angling... its not exclusive to carping... I once saw a club coach stuck in mud and the anglers got out, smashed up an outbuilding to put wood under the wheels to get it out rather than call out a recovery vehicle....
Crud happens in every branch... from a carping perspective, a lot has to be laid at the door of laddish behaviour on some of the televised carping shows...

That is the downside... the upside being the number of carper's that have swelled angling's ranks over the last 20 or so years...

Northantslad

'Any indications?
There are bad behaviours in all branches of angling... its not exclusive to carping... I once saw a club coach stuck in mud and the anglers got out, smashed up an outbuilding to put wood under the wheels to get it out rather than call out a recovery vehicle....
Crud happens in every branch... from a carping perspective, a lot has to be laid at the door of laddish behaviour on some of the televised carping shows...

That is the downside... the upside being the number of carper's that have swelled angling's ranks over the last 20 or so years...

Yea its not bang carpers again, wouldn't do that, plus i am one. With all respect to the people i think Neil may have been referring to, these aren't the type of carpers that we may assume. Still maintain that much of it is education needed- if 20 people for example fishing commercial match/pole style and one turning up fishing specimen style isn't enough of a clue to the one that it may be isn't the right venue for it.

It could be too, that due to the exclusivity of specimen waters i see, that are few places they can go suited to how they wish to fish.

Such a criticism (of how some are going about things on venues not suited to it) does only go one way usually, because you simply don't see a match/pole/commercial tactic angler turn up on a specimen water and fish that way, yet the opposite is true lately, easier on the wallet for a newbie to set up and easier to relax, which is what many will go for from what i can see.

As i put, down to owners/bailiffs for me, as long as they don't get picky about an extra grain of corn being used in one swim or thats a size 12 hook not a 14 on your pole rig and yet a little less worried about 3 oz leads and god knows what hooks being chucked and chanced everywhere, but they have paid their fiver too, then fine as long as neither interrupt my swim/session.