Carping

commieboy257

Account Locked
Just reading the thread on here regarding the fishing for large carp and all the performance it involves:
cast out to ascertain where a nice bit of lake bottom occurs
cast out a marker float
cast out numerous dustbins of bait.
finally (?) cast out baited hook

Now, wouldn;t any self respecting fish of any sort have cleared off with all this commotion?

How about you chuck your baited hook out and then just feed over the top? might not have to wait 3 weeks for a bite ;-)

not having a dig at anyone, just observing :unsure:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Not me.... As I know my club venues well enough after fishing them the last 38 years, I know roughly what depths and bottoms they have, just a case of watching the water for any signs and putting a bait nearby,
The biggest edge is to spend time on the water and make a note of where shows occur, it usually coincides with bloodworm beds, or areas where minerals or hatches occur naturally... also look for features, carp are creatures of habit, so bars, gulleys, islands, drop offs, etc are all holding areas... you don't need to lash the water to a foam with all that casting, when a day or so watching a water will give you all the info you need....

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Just like any other form of fishing, those are things you can do. That doesn't mean you have to. You can do all of it, none of it, or just cherry pick the bits you need. Everything depends on the water in question

As to fish being scared off, it can actually be quite the opposite. All that commotion can actually draw them in.

JayD

It also depends on what type and how big the water is and the head of carp in the water. There's a big difference between a 2-3 acre pond, and a 20acre + gravel pit, with bars and troughs running in different directions. As it's been said, there are areas that will attract the fish, such as bloodworm, and pea mussel beds, and the fish will have patrol routes taking in these areas. So time spent observing a water, the fish activity, and plumbing around, without actually fishing will usually pay off more often than just chucking out a bait, a load of freebies, and waiting.

John.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
A Carp angler on a large water won't usually be there just for one session so they will build up a map of the venue over time.
Those that make the effort are also the ones that see the continuous reward.
That's why the likes of Terry Hearn are in a league of their own.

squimp

Site Supporter
I belong to a local syndicate on a 70 acre water. There are around 50 members, The water had 50 odd fish in it when I first joined and that gradually dropped to about 35. Since I stopped fishing there the stock has been increased and there are now around 130.

Of the members that actually fish, most catch few if any fish, and a few catch Significantly more. The guys who are in tune with water and the fish catch fish every season and they tend to catch the fish fairly quickly (nights per fish). The ‘good’ anglers tend to get more successful as they ‘learn’ how the water and the fish ‘work’. The successful guys don’t all fish the same, they just have each worked out a successful strategy that gets bites.

when I fished it seriously, a good season was 5+ fish on the bank. A really good year was around a dozen. The same 3 or 4 anglers were top rods every season. One poor guy did 200 ish nights over 3 seasons for 1 fish. Generally in those days the most successful anglers averaged a fish every 4 - 5 nights. Me and a mate got that down to a fish every 8 hours in the last season that we fished it.

Now there are more fish, the patterns are still the same. A few of the anglers catch most of the fish. One mate had 30 in a season recently Including a handful of 40’s.

If it was just a matter of turning up, chucking in 10kg of bait And catching fish then the catches would be spread right across the active members of the syndicate. The fact that a few fishers catch most of the fish tells you that there is more to it than that.......

Silver fan 82

I've actually known guys turn up to a water and just cast a lead around various parts of the lake. Not fish at all, not even put a bait in the pond, map the contours, get a mental image of the lake bed then leave. I bet when they return to actually fish they probably catch more than those that don't put that sort of effort in?

nickg

I've actually known guys turn up to a water and just cast a lead around various parts of the lake. Not fish at all, not even put a bait in the pond, map the contours, get a mental image of the lake bed then leave. I bet when they return to actually fish they probably catch more than those that don't put that sort of effort in?

Now you can buy sonar mapping fish finders you can probably do it all in one afternoon ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
My local lake only contains carp & to date I see the vast majority of anglers “carp fish” it with carp rods, bite alarms, heavy lines and big boiles on chunky hooks with bolt rigs or super shallow pellet wagglers.

Fish come out to these tactics but not many.

I‘Ve been fishing the whip for little stuff with my boy but on solo outings started whanging in a method feeder - the results are hilarious, fish within the first ten minutes and then a bite a cast with fish landed up to the same size as the boilie boys but a lot more of them. For example I banked 26 fish in a 3 hour session Saturday morning up to 8lb whils one other fish was caught between 8 other anglers.

No idea if this would work on a water where the fish are more attuned to match style tactics but it’s going to be fun while it lasts.

satinet

My local lake only contains carp & to date I see the vast majority of anglers “carp fish” it with carp rods, bite alarms, heavy lines and big boiles on chunky hooks with bolt rigs or super shallow pellet wagglers.

Fish come out to these tactics but not many.

I‘Ve been fishing the whip for little stuff with my boy but on solo outings started whanging in a method feeder - the results are hilarious, fish within the first ten minutes and then a bite a cast with fish landed up to the same size as the boilie boys but a lot more of them. For example I banked 26 fish in a 3 hour session Saturday morning up to 8lb whils one other fish was caught between 8 other anglers.

No idea if this would work on a water where the fish are more attuned to match style tactics but it’s going to be fun while it lasts.
I sometimes tend to think of carp fishing like fly fishing. They don't want to catch on the easiest method but on method they've set out to use.

rudd

Site Supporter
I go Carp fishing to relax.
Over time have learnt fish habits and feeding spots on waters I fish by jusr watching - same as Arry.
I fish for a bite and most seasons will not get through a kilo of boilies!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I don't understand carp fishing but if it floats your boat then do it. I suppose it is my match background that wants to see bites and be active. I don't care if those bites come from commercial carp or small silvers on the canal. Like every angler I have had blank days. But by the end of those days I know I have tried everything I can think of to get the bites I crave.

It may be the same in the speci carp world, I suspect it is, that those that work hard, put in effort and imagination get the better results. Then there will be those that just follow what they have read or seen without thinking too much about their fishing.

I only have one negative observation, why oh why do you need a bite alarm, "carp" gear and a 42 inch landing net when fishing a 14m wide snake lake that has a one rod rule and carp up to ten pound max.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I drove past a 'urban' park lake somewhere between Wednesbury and Walsall yesterday evening, thought that looks like a nice lake, admiring the view as all fishermen do, but doubted it would be fishable. That's when I saw a bivvy out, and unless they were Piking or something or it does actually hold a few Carp, I thought, that's dedication!

bettsfan

Like all types of fishing we like to 'challenge' ourselves against fish in their natural confines. I have spent many a Season in pursuit of specific fish albeit Carp, Catfish, Tench and Barbel to broaden my fishing experiences. Now as a pleasure angler, who fishes the odd matches, it isn't just the catching that's important. I value the wildlife and scenery around me and the ability of 'watching the world go by' . If I fish with others, I enjoy the social aspect but am quite happy to go it alone.

In whatever area we choose, we all try our best to improve our fishing skills. Some Carpers would probably say it is too stressful to work for hundreds of bites that some crave, they often fish for 1 specific fish, however the 2 aspects have slowly (only recently) started to come together where Match Anglers and Specimen Anglers are inheriting each others skills, equipment and ideas.

And as for the negative observation Neil, I also see that quite often, however some people I guess have just the one 'set up' to be used for all occasions. Sadly, in my opinion some youngsters join catching double figure Carp and little else and in my eyes lessens their fishing experience where they can not appreciate a nice net of Silvers or such.

Hard work, effort and imagination should get better results but it does not guarantee it. An element of luck is always handy to have. I think I saw a post on here the other day (I think from Archy) about his exploits for the Barbel. That showed effort and hard work but little to show for it. Hopefully things will change for them soon and their rich rewards come heading their way.

For me, fishing beats work any day of the week :)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I drove past a 'urban' park lake somewhere between Wednesbury and Walsall yesterday evening, thought that looks like a nice lake, admiring the view as all fishermen do, but doubted it would be fishable. That's when I saw a bivvy out, and unless they were Piking or something or it does actually hold a few Carp, I thought, that's dedication!

Or they are hiding from the missus ;)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I guess a dedicated big carp angler would probably feel that on an average carp lake with a decent fish density then any angler with sensible tackle can be reasonably expected to catch all day long, but to winkle out a 20lb+ or even 30lb+ wiley old campaigner takes a lot of preparation, dedication, study of the water and perseverance.

To each their own - I’m enjoying the carping I’m doing at the moment just as much as I ddI the river sessions earlier in the year although I do hanker after a nice mixed natural water (a few club ones locally I cannot access) to test myself a bit more.

Silver fan 82

I go Carp fishing to relax.
Over time have learnt fish habits and feeding spots on waters I fish by jusr watching - same as Arry.
I fish for a bite and most seasons will not get through a kilo of boilies!
A kilo of boilies lasts me ages. Glad it's not just me lol!