Carp vs Match

Maverick

Site Supporter
As the carp in our commercials are getting larger and larger I have noticed more and more carp lads turning up with proper carp gear.

To many of us locals, who have been used to fishing a match style we smile and think they wont catch many, but they do.

I was just wondering how many of you find yourself, maybe using carp style rigs and tactics such as spodding, PVA bags etc. and do we need to make changes to handle the 10lb - 20lb lumps now coming out of many commercials?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's a good point. Personally I think that some changes have to be made especially when feeder fishing. Stronger line, beefier rods, even how the feeder rigs need to be altered to cope with the larger Carp. Yes, I know you can catch them on the 'normal' match gear, but can you land them? after all, it's weight that brings in the brown envelopes. Tench is another fish that I've noticed where gear is stepped up a bit, or at least on our club waters. A number of the match men step up to power wagglers and power top 2's etc. with heavier this and that.

Keith Sparky

Personally I don't think the match lads want too many monster carp in a lake... The odd one yes as it adds a bit of spice but most commercials need to ensure good stock rotation so that the match type lakes have a good balance of medium carp/F1/Chunky Silvers etc... and most of the really large lumps say over 12-15lb ish moved into Speci lakes.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Think to be honest this is why i am having a Break from match Fishing. The 200 pound to Frame done it lots of times, the 15 pounder down the edge done it loads of times, the enjoyment of HAVING to do it match in match out, nah no enjoyment. The sitting a whole day maybe for a 10 pound Barbel in lovely surroundings and wildlife galore, now we are talking.

rudd

Site Supporter
Been using crossover tactics for years.
Works both ways hence Korda/Guru, Drennan/Esp etc.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Been using crossover tactics for years.
Works both ways hence Korda/Guru, Drennan/Esp etc.
Also worth checking the other brand in the same stable. Once or twice I've found that the Carp label has been cheaper than it's counterpart on the match/coarse tackle shelves.

Brentfish

Brent
As the carp in our commercials are getting larger and larger I have noticed more and more carp lads turning up with proper carp gear.

To many of us locals, who have been used to fishing a match style we smile and think they wont catch many, but they do.

I was just wondering how many of you find yourself, maybe using carp style rigs and tactics such as spodding, PVA bags etc. and do we need to make changes to handle the 10lb - 20lb lumps now coming out of many commercials?

Having been match fish for over 20 years then making the switch to carp fishing then back again. I have learned lots and defo made changes to the way I approach my match fishing now. Such as washed out baits and feeding patterns. Works for me and I think you got to do this these days.
Brent