carp talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oerrie

any one wanna talk about carp fishing talk to me im hooked on freshwater fishing carp or barbel i will give you some tips

Oerrie

one of my best baits i use is maid like this take a half brown bread crumble it then you take some hot water and ad it to bread intil you can put it on to hook now for se secret parts take 1 spoon of mollasse syrup and one bottel of egg yellow coularing mix all together take small pieces put it on back of hook and on the point of the hook you use a small piece of dough made of sprite and flower this works for me try it and let me know

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Oerrie and welcome on board icon_smile.gif

Carp fishing in South Africa is all a bit new to us but shouldn't be to far from our methods as they are all of the same specie.
The paste you describe is similar in fashion to making boilies - flavoured, colourful balls used for bait and they are very popular over here.
There are a few dedicated carp anglers who frequent the forum who would be more than interested in comparing methods.

Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
dave - mostly bigger water than yours and very similar to the US carping. Some of the same "locating them" issues as well since not a huge number of carpers in most parts of the country.

Oerrie - do you ever make use of fluoroscene in your baits? I've been trying to source some over here. That nice bright cloud it makes as the stuff rises seems to really call the carp in to the baited area.

Newt Vail

Oerrie

hi Dave thanx for wrinting back i would like to know how to use maggots if you can help me another thing is where do i get tiger beans i hear its a very good bait for carp do you guys also use earthworms ? if you do try this wet the earthworm and dip it in red flourocine it works good for mudfish carp and barbel hope to hear from you again

Oerrie

yes Newt i do use flourocene if i can give you a tip about it maybe you know it is when your water is clear use green floro but when the water is very dirty muddy use red floro thanx for wrighting

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Oerrie,

Maggots are easy to use just hook them onto your hook preferably through the 'blunt' end a few at a time. Use loose fed maggots as freebies to help.
If you find that you are fishing over muddy or silt bottoms, you may well find that the maggots bury themselves rendering them useless. If this is the case use 'dead maggots'. For this put your loose feed maggots into a plastic bag and then put them into a frezer until killed off.
It doesn't affect them as a bait but does ensure that they remain where put.

Tiger Nuts - Here is a good article about preparing them and using them http://www.carp.net/nut.htm
You'll see Robin (aka Doughnut) on here and he's the man to ask regarding these icon_smile.gif

Regards, Dave

darryl

you can also glue the maggots blunt end to a cork ball medusa style and hair rig it to the hook pop`s up just of the bottom right in the carp view cheers darryl army.gif

work`s for them who can`t fish

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Oerrie - The tiger beans you refer to are probably tiger nuts.

It is very possible you have them growing wild in your area. They are a swelling (tuber) on the root of the yellow nutsedge plant which is a weed and will grow most any place where it is warm enough.

They are a wonderful bait for carp and several other species. Just soak them until they get sweet and a bit slimy (2-3 days should do it).

Newt Vail

Oerrie

hi peoples i would like to know if you only fish with boilies or just with dough if not with dough heres one of my big secrets in south africa all of the provesional guys use this you take one heaped up table spoon flower add some sweetner to it and mix then the secret of south africa go and buy canned peach halwes the ones you normaly eat for poeding take the juice of the peach halwes and add this to your flower mix ad little by little untill it forms a dough that is very sticky put this in a bank bag just use small pieces and roll it like n worm the thinner you rol it around the hook the better this dough can also be used to make boilies put im not so clued up with boilie fishing yet boilie fishing is very new in south africa please try this dough and let me know what you caught

MALC

Hi Oerrie
Last time i made a paste with simular ingridients (i used Pinnapple juice) the carp were not interested but the bream and roach loved it.

Over here in the UK you will find that most things have or are being used for carp as the waters over here get fished hard unlike in S.A where as you say carp fishing is only just taking off so baits tend to get blown out and new advances are being made all the time be it with natural baits or paste/boile types.

Out of interest what is the average sizes of carp in your country.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Oerrie - I like the sound of that paste bait. Never tried peaches or peach juice. Have done well with other fruits though. Strawberry seems to be a favorite of US carp.

One thing with boilies - you can use many of your paste mixtures and harden them nicely with some boiling but the real trick to making them do well is to add some egg to the mix. I doubt it has any serious effect on the taste or smell but it surely does help them harden properly.

Maybe someone already asked but two questions

- do you use anything on the hook to help hold the paste? I love to put a small spring on. The kind that come from a retractable ball point pen work great but you may want another source unless you want to ruin lots of pens (which I have done)

- do you ever use a hair rig? Great with paste baits at times and about the only good way to rig a boilie.

Newt Vail

Oerrie

hi Malc the average size carps that we catch is about 1 kg but on lucky days we can go up to 13 kg and even higher depending where we fish and for what reason we fish like on out farm the carps average 7kg and upwards when we fish club competision we dont go for the big ones but rather 4 the small ones i would rather catch 50 small carps than 10 big ones because the small ones give me more points we get 10 points per fish and 10 points per kg when i just go fishing we will take our lines out about 300 to 400 meters and wait for the big one to bite my biggest carp i caught is 13 kg on a red mollasse brown bread in a small stream called klipriver we do have some nice barbel here to the biggest barbel i caught is 19 kg this may be new news or old but to catch a big barbel if got the trick for you i learned this from expert fisherman what you do you is you take a lure that sinks you make your line only one and a half meter long from your tip of your rod take your rod tip and hit it on the water and shuffel your rods tip in the water then pick up and down your rods tip the lure must stay in the water do this a few times and see if you get any reaction it works best where there is a lot off reeds and water plants stand in the water while you do this you will see the barbel heads coming out of the the and approuching you later they will start swimming threw your legs and you will catch big barbels so dont fish with thin line you might think you scare the barbels away while you shuffling your rod in the water but you dont the barbels think it a bird drowning and they come immediat try this i caught my 19kg barbel this way

Oerrie

hi Newt we have got hooks that have ready build springs onto them but i dont use them they are to expensive but what i do use is beats it works very well i put a beat at the eye of my hook you just slide it onto your line before tightning the hook you can put a brownbread backing on the beat and a eartwom or paste or what ever you want to on the hook try it it works for me

Oerrie

Newt do you think hair rigs is better than normal rigs i would like to try it and see with the hair rig you normally use boilies dont you and what i want to know with the hair rig for boilies can you fish for small fish or is boilies only for big carps cause all the carps i seen caught on boilies are big?newt do you go fishing alot?

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Oerrie,

I have some friends at work who fish and are from SA so will ask them about fishing for carp and barbel.Luncheon meat is a great bait all year round in the UK and will probably catch more fish each year than anyone particular bait.

Keith

Oerrie

hi Keith thanks for replying i do look forward talking to you sorry im afrikaans what exactly is luncheon meat?

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
It is a meat mainly used for sandwiches.Made from pork it comes in a tin and can be shaped to different sizes with ease.It holds well on a hook and can hairrigged if necessary.I will see if it is called something different in SA but will have to wait until friday before i see them again.

Oerrie

Keith tell me something i heard that prawns work very good have you tried them and do they work and if so will shrimps work its just smaller than prawns im sure you know what i mean

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Oerrie - hair vs. hook: depends on the bait I'm using. Corn, worms, and such I will fish directly on the hook. Boilies almost always on a hair since they stay on lots better that way. Meat - either way. If the bite is good, usually directly on the hook. If it is slow and I will need to leave the rig out for a while or if I am fishing a large chunk of meat, hair since it just stays on better.

I fish 1 to 2 days a week most of the year. However, I do lots more boat fishing for largemouth bass than any other sort and more still fishing for catfish than carp.

One of our catfish - the channel - likes many of the same locations as carp and responds nicely to the same baits so I guess when I carp near snags, I may still be catfishing.

And most of the carp/cat trips are from the boat as well. If I can find a good spot to anchor where I can keep the boat steady, I just fish from it. If not, I run on shore and set up a chair, bank sticks, and such. No good way to get around most of our lakes other than a boat and I love my echo sounder for mapping the features.

Newt Vail

Status
Not open for further replies.