Carp setup

foster82

Looking to do a little carp fishing next year and seen these setups on eBay and Amazon. Just wondering on people's opinions of them. Are they worth the money or is it going to be a matter of you get what you pay for and are rubbish ?

Cheers
Jonathan

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
If it provides someone the opportunity to go for the very first time (youngster or novice) then that's a positive and cannot be rubbish - LBH they wouldn't know the difference and what to expect.
To someone who had been before though there is no doubting you would probably still catch fish but you would probably never be satisfied with what you have bought and how long it would last. And there would still be a fair bit of other tackle you need to buy as well.

Bought a Garbolino Carp Waggler Rod from that Ebay seller a couple of years ago and it's one of the best rods I have ever owned.

Silver fan 82

Yeah as Lee said if you have never been carp fishing with this kind of set up before then it could be worth getting without spending several hundreds or even thousands of pounds on the latest all singing all dancing carp fishing gizmos. As has been said you will still catch on this gear.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
NGT isn't a bad make as a starter-level kit, rather than go for something that is unbranded, however it is just a little bit dearer

A lot depends on how serious you are planning on taking up Carp fishing, whether it's just to give it a go and for occasional trips, or if you are planning on taking it up seriously.

If the latter the kits won't do you as you'll soon become frustrated with them. In that case look around for a good secondhand set up where someone is selling a full set up because they've decided Carp fishing is no longer for them

Maverick

Site Supporter
Bought a Garbolino Carp Waggler Rod from that Ebay seller a couple of years ago and it's one of the best rods I have ever owned.

I bought one new about 8 years ago and it's the only rod I've never felt the need to change. Caught many carp every season on a rod that cost me about £33 new if I remember correctly.

Its playing action and casting action is fantastic. I've even put a maggot feeder on it and caught small roach and skimmers in the winter without any problems.

foster82

NGT isn't a bad make as a starter-level kit, rather than go for something that is unbranded, however it is just a little bit dearer

A lot depends on how serious you are planning on taking up Carp fishing, whether it's just to give it a go and for occasional trips, or if you are planning on taking it up seriously.

If the latter the kits won't do you as you'll soon become frustrated with them. In that case look around for a good secondhand set up where someone is selling a full set up because they've decided Carp fishing is no longer for them

I don't mind paying that bit more for better quality. Just trying to keep the overall price down to around £100 mark really. As I don't know how much I will use it. But there is a good chance I could be frustrated with them and in turn upset the misses by spending more on fishing tackle.

rudd

Site Supporter
I don't mind paying that bit more for better quality. Just trying to keep the overall price down to around £100 mark really. As I don't know how much I will use it. But there is a good chance I could be frustrated with them and in turn upset the misses by spending more on fishing tackle.
The mitchel look the best bet

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
We sold quite a few of the Mitchell ones last year, basic but will be fine for starters in fact one of the lads who bought one so he could go with his mates caught a 20lb Sturgeon on it the following day and was chuffed to bits reckoned it was the best £100 he had spent enjoyment wise :p Like a lot of the new starters he became fairly keen going most weeks until the weather changed but never beat that first big fish this year.