Carp rods - What test curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Hi

I'm a recent convert to angling (thanks beebs, you've cost me a packet!), who's never gone for carp before.

I'm looking for advice on a sub 100 rod and have been advised by my local tackle shop to get two of the same type.

Current favourite to buy is the Fox Rangemaster, am I on the right track with this or are there better rods out there for the money?

What TC should I be going for? Any reason to pick 2.75 rather than 3?
(seen some 3lb rangemaster rods on sale for 120 the pair)

TIA
JD

Beebs

Hello mate, you know me, always happy to spend other people's money.[;)]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi NoFinPhish and welcome onboard [:)]

You've picked a good hobby as it's better than anything to do with hitting or kicking balls

Carp rods? My firm favourites are the Shimano Hyperloops. The 2.5lb test curve retails at under 40.00 and can be found in the low thirties.
All in all great value for money and well capable of casting heavy weights and bringing heavier ones back in. Check my profile pic[:D]
And at that price you'll have change out of a hundred after buying two and will be able to take beebs for a drink [;)]

Dave

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
All Reet NoFinPhish
Don't just go by the TC, the action is also a very important factor in carp rods.
The Heavier the TC the heavier the Lead you can Chuck out, but some cheaper rods are like broom handles and as so playing a fish is no fun
*Through action is great for close in fishing*
*Fast/Tip action is for distance fishing*

Less rings means you have less line friction so you can cast further.
My advice is the Hyperloop 2.75lb or Nash outlaw 2.75lb
if you use a 3oz weight on a lower TC rod you are putting too much casting stress on the rod

I hope this helps

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by Stu

Less rings means you have less line friction so you can cast further.
But also that the rod probably won't feel nearly as nice when you have a fish on.

Newt Vail

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Heck!
I didn't expect so many recommendations to save money!
I expected I would be persuaded to part with more dosh. Hyperloop 2.75 looking a firm favourite now.
Beebs can get drunk on a shiny 2 coin, so that is not a factor in this decision.
A free pint to anyone that can help me catch *something* over 1lb! :) - and it's been so hard so far!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
NoFinPhish

I find catching fish over 1lb no problem.

Not entitirely ethical, but effective.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Give me a bottle of Jack Daniels and a keyboard and I'm dangerous. Ouch my head, sorry beebs, I know it takes at least a fiver. [:I]

Littlewoods 'Index' (top tackle shop - ahem!) are selling Hyperloop 2.5lb carp rods at 30, and baitrunner 6000REs at 60 (though the pic in the a/w 2002 catalog shows a match rod for some reason).
Feels a bit amateur buying these, but I guess thats what I am.
Maybe best to save my hard-earned until I know which end of the rod to point at the fish, then I can splash out and be a real tackle tart.

JD

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by NoFinPhish

Give me a bottle of Jack Daniels and a keyboard and I'm dangerous. Ouch my head, sorry beebs, I know it takes at least a fiver.

Well, when you turn 18, Jason, I'll take you into your first pub and buy you a DOUBLE Jack Daniels. I'll even let you buy me one back (up 'til a fiver's worth and then it's game over!!).[:D][:p]

NoFinPhish

Mighty Cat Slayer
Ooops sorry Dave! wasn't badmouthing Hyperloops with the last comment (I'll get my coat...)
I bought a Shimano Catana 2.75lb FA in a sale last year, for 32, haven't really got it wet yet. Didn't know what I was buying but seemed too much of a bargain not to take advantage of.
Question is, do I buy two matching rods (two 2.75 Hyperloops), and keep the Catana as a backup rod, or Pike rod or something, or buy one and use it with the Catana? How important is it to get use to one type of rod?

And beebs, I'll catch a double before you ever put your hand in your pocket to buy me one.

fishing_mad

hi i got a 2.25 -2.5 test curve carp rod by a company i dont know but its called a carp bullet it was 27 pound reduced from 40 in a sale its been great so far i reckon the make and price dont really matter unless you're a real 'i wont to catch a 40 pound every time' type of angler so gor for a 2.5 and a rod you feel comfortable with

:)Fishing Mad:)

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Why not use the Catana as a Marker Float Rod.
As i have said a 2.75 will be suitable to step up without any extra cost so buy now and don't pay later [;)]

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***

Status
Not open for further replies.