Carp rod

Bcfcciderhead

Going to purchase my first carp rod, don’t want to spend big money to start with,
Got my eye on a Sonic Vader X RS at £55 or the Daiwa range at the same price range.
so looking fo opinion.
Im guess about a 3Lb TC as most of the venue near me distance is not an issue and about 12ft

Silver fan 82

Going to purchase my first carp rod, don’t want to spend big money to start with,
Got my eye on a Sonic Vader X RS at £55 or the Daiwa range at the same price range.
so looking fo opinion.
Im guess about a 3Lb TC as most of the venue near me distance is not an issue and about 12ft
They aren't bad rods for the price. I can also recommend the TF Gear Banshee rods. Similarly priced with a nice playing action but also the back bone needed in case you hook a chunk. What size fish are you targeting?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
They aren't bad rods for the price. I can also recommend the TF Gear Banshee rods. Similarly priced with a nice playing action but also the back bone needed in case you hook a chunk. What size fish are you targeting?
Brilliant rods the tfgear ones ,my wife had a 16lb carp on s 10ft tfg float rod and it was on steroids lol

Silver fan 82

Brilliant rods the tfgear ones ,my wife had a 16lb carp on s 10ft tfg float rod and it was on steroids lol
A fish that size would give a good scrap on a carp rod but would be really good on a float rod. I bought a little 2lb tc 8ft long stalking rod back in the summer just haven't caught anything big on it yet to test it out properly.

robert d

Site Supporter
A fish that size would give a good scrap on a carp rod but would be really good on a float rod. I bought a little 2lb tc 8ft long stalking rod back in the summer just haven't caught anything big on it yet to test it out properly.
Yes it was exciting for her i purchased another 10ft tfgear float rod they are that good . I do believe if you dont rush and not trying to keep them out of snags then there are some good float rods cheap like tfg and garbolino pickers thst could handle those fish and they are very cheap good quality

Silver fan 82

Yes it was exciting for her i purchased another 10ft tfgear float rod they are that good . I do believe if you dont rush and not trying to keep them out of snags then there are some good float rods cheap like tfg and garbolino pickers thst could handle those fish and they are very cheap good quality
Going off topic a bit but what are the TF Gear float rods like for silvers?

robert d

Site Supporter
Going off topic a bit but what are the TF Gear float rods like for silvers?
I think they are very good had 100s of small roach with the float rod ,i wouldnt compare it to an acolyte or other top silvers rod but i have no complaints . I would say they are vastly under priced but keep that very quiet lol ,in my opinion even at double the price they would be excellent value.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
1.75 lb test curve rod and 10lb line will stop any 22lb Carp.
Yep if not likely to clear 20lb you’ll never need heavier than that. For fish in the mid teens I use an 11ft 1.25 tc with 6lb to 8lb line although that’s short range. If you’ve got a bit of casting distance to do with a realistic chance of a 20 pounder a 1.75tc with 8lb-10lb line is probably more wise.

Flathead

Site Supporter
1.75 lb test curve rod and 10lb line will stop any 22lb Carp.
Indeed

Richard walker and Chris Yates both landed their respective record carp (44lbs and 51 lbs) on Mark IV Avon rods of about 1.5 test curve.

Heavy test curve rods are simply fashion in most circumstances

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
OP, 2.25s will give you more options as it will double up nicely for a surface fishing rod.
Think about where you intend to use it and how.
If you need a long cast or want to use a finned method feeder then you will need a rod capable of doing this.
This will also need matching with the right sized reel and always go for a baitrunner.
A decent Carp rod will also give you the power you need to fish snaggy waters.

I suggest that you look at a Carp forum or the Carp section on FIshing Magic for rod choice reviews as there appear to be very few Carp anglers on here and you will struggle to get the specific information you are looking for.
The good thing with Carp rods is that there are plenty of choices and thus the prices for decent rods make them very affordable.

The rods I use are no longer available so my personal choice is not relevant for you.

satinet

I wouldn't get a 3lb rod. I used to fish at Boddington Res quite a bit with the Mrs. And we both used 1.5tc rods. In fact they were 1.5tc with the normal top. They had a second top section with quiver tips. Absolutely great for what we ever caught. Up to 20s.b

I bought a couple of diawa black widow 2.75 tc rods and they take the fun it of it for me. Fish just gets pretty much reeled in unless it's over 15lb then it might put a slight bend in it. Also not particularly enjoyable to fish with anyway due the the long handle I found. Anything under 10lb on these rods is a tiddler.

Last edited: