Carp rod for newbie

Rowle135

Hi all,
New to the site so hello to everyone.

Back into fishing after 15 years and have been reading the forum intensively to get great info.
Sorted my pole fishing again (thank you) and happy with the results but now i fancy a go at carp fishing.

For a single rod and just hoping for a twenty maximum, (that would be amazing) what rod do i need ?
i fish at local small lakes (3 acre max) currently as i like these kind of venues.
i was thinking 1.5 lb test curve but not sure ??
also what line/reel size would you recommend ?

thanks everyone for the help -it is appreciated.

rowle.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For carp up to 20lb on a relatively small lake a 1.25 or 1.5 tc Avon quiver rod paired with a 4000/400 sized reel with 8lb line would do the job fine.

adz1189

Adam
Depends how much you want to spend but Korum have just released the “Trilogy” rods. Have a look at them! I like how versatile these rods are, full cork handle so bit better looking than the sort of out and out carp rods. I think they come with a 1.5lbs quiver top, And a 1.75lbs and 2.2lbs top. This rod would cover a lot of ground would be just as much at home sat on a rod pod as it would be chub and barbel fishing on the river! If it’s just an out and out carp rod your after the Wychwood Rods are good I’ve got two c-101’s and they’re great!

rufcuk

Site Supporter
For twenties I would be looking at 2.75tc at lowest - you can do it with less but if there’s a chance of a 40lb bad boy I wouldn’t go any lower - length of your rod then depend on how far you want to cast - you can get 9/10ft stalkers for short distance ms or 13ft for max - as for reel size again depends on distance you want to cast

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That korum does sound a good option, could use the 1.5 top where you are at the moment and work your way up the tips as you progressive to bigger fish.

Rowle135

That korum does sound a good option, could use the 1.5 top where you are at the moment and work your way up the tips as you progressive to bigger fish.
Wow, only posted 5 mins ago and loads of replies !!
i will take a look at that korum rod later.
thank you so far ??

Cobweb

Site Supporter
My initial reaction would be to go with silverfisher's, or adz 1189's advice as I mostly do the kind of fishing that uses a tip as a bite indicator. However, given the lake size, and the possibility of larger fiish, there may be another option. Recently I was looking for something to handle fairly close in carp bigger than 15lb, and I came across the Avid Carp range of rods that have a lovely through action. The one I picked up is a 10 foot rod. from my local tackle shop after a "feel". I already have a Wychwood 9 foot stalking rod which is ok but a bit stiff making you work so much harder for the fish. Both have a tc of 3 lb and can handle bigger fish with ease

Rowle135

the korum trilogy rod is about £100 which is a bargain for 3 rods - can you recommend a reel to suit ?
also, are bite alarms better than quiver tips on still waters ?
thanks everyone ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A friend of mine hit a 22lb common on a Korum 1.5 and he was seriously undergunned... I'd go with the 2.75lb if it's small water with less than 70yards chuck, look at a 9 or 10 foot Dwarf.... if you want to chuck a fair way I'd look at a 12 footer... Sonik do some nice starter rod reel combo's

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Arry I'd agree that it might start becoming a struggle at 20 plus but I was thinking of 1.25 to 1.5 as if somebody is targeting fish up to 20lb then most likely they'll mostly catch mid teens for which those tc are perfect for whereas a 2lb plus tc is not. I do all my surface fishing for 10-15lb fish with a 1.25 which does the job fine so I'm sure a 1.5 or 1.75 would hold the odd 20 fine as especially as people routinely catch double figure barbel out of rivers on them.

The korum rod does seem the right solution though as the op can start with the 1.5 or 1.75 top then if he starts getting a few 20 plus then he has the option of the 2.2.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
the korum trilogy rod is about £100 which is a bargain for 3 rods - can you recommend a reel to suit ?
also, are bite alarms better than quiver tips on still waters ?
thanks everyone ?
Go for the Shimano Baitrunner FB 4000 (not the X Aero one though that is really nice) You can get it for around £50 and for that money I think it's unbeatable. It will handle the sort of weight you are looking at no problem. I use baitrunners for all my carp feeder work

BoldBear

I caught the Carp in the photo (22lb) using the 1.5lb tip of my 1.5lb/2lb multi-tip Specimen rod with 8lb mainline and a 6lb hooklength when I was after big Tench in a 3 acre estate lake which had overhanging islands and large Lilly beds.

And the rod allowed me to steer the Carp around the beds of lillies without too many problems and it made the fight very enjoyable.

Ive found that using a stiff Carp rod with a large test curve on a smallish lake can often be an unnecessary hindrance and overkill and a sure way to pull out your hooks.

However it depends on your confidence and skill at controlling your Carp and the state of the water and snags in front of you but I know that on a smallish 2 to 3 acre lake I wouldn’t normally use anything greater than around the 2lb test unless I was fishing a snag pit.

If I was fishing at medium to long range on a larger water using leads of 3oz or more or fishing a snag pit then, and only then, would I choose to step up my test curves to 2.75lb to 3lb plus.

I would have thought that using a quivertip would lessen the amount of control you would have over the Carp during the fight so I would not use one myself.

Keith

Last edited:

adz1189

Adam
Unless Launching solid bags to the horizon or fishing a ultra snaggy swims I don’t really see the need for more than a 2.2 test? Still have a decent action with a bit of backbone.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I agree adz. I haven't used a 2lb plus rod myself but have watched my grandad use his a couple times and it pulled in upper teen carp and pike out of snag pits with absolutely ridiculous ease so I think they should only be used for genuinely big fish (30 plus) and/or extreme casting. He literally only uses it to quickly catch and move nuisance pike when fishing for silvers, it's just not a remotely sporting bit of kit for catching the sort of sized fish most any anglers catch.

Billy the fish 1954

Hi all,
New to the site so hello to everyone.

Back into fishing after 15 years and have been reading the forum intensively to get great info.
Sorted my pole fishing again (thank you) and happy with the results but now i fancy a go at carp fishing.

For a single rod and just hoping for a twenty maximum, (that would be amazing) what rod do i need ?
i fish at local small lakes (3 acre max) currently as i like these kind of venues.
i was thinking 1.5 lb test curve but not sure ??
also what line/reel size would you recommend ?

thanks everyone for the help -it is appreciated.

rowle.
Have a look at the Korum all rounder it is 11 ft line rating is 6 to 12lbs, plenty of good revues ordering one as a sleeper as lightning my load

Somersetlad

For twenties I would be looking at 2.75tc at lowest - you can do it with less but if there’s a chance of a 40lb bad boy I wouldn’t go any lower - length of your rod then depend on how far you want to cast - you can get 9/10ft stalkers for short distance ms or 13ft for max - as for reel size again depends on distance you want to cast
********, there's not a carp in the country you couldn't get in on a 2lb test curve. Dick Walkers 44 was on a 1.5lb, Chris Yates had his 56 on an avon, unless your casting massive pva bags, you'll never need more than a 2 1/4.

Somersetlad

My initial reaction would be to go with silverfisher's, or adz 1189's advice as I mostly do the kind of fishing that uses a tip as a bite indicator. However, given the lake size, and the possibility of larger fiish, there may be another option. Recently I was looking for something to handle fairly close in carp bigger than 15lb, and I came across the Avid Carp range of rods that have a lovely through action. The one I picked up is a 10 foot rod. from my local tackle shop after a "feel". I already have a Wychwood 9 foot stalking rod which is ok but a bit stiff making you work so much harder for the fish. Both have a tc of 3 lb and can handle bigger fish with ease
Stalking with a 3lb rod, might as well fit some rings to a broom handle, at close range you need a soft actioned rod, try a 1.75lb you might enjoy your fishing then.

adz1189

Adam
********, there's not a carp in the country you couldn't get in on a 2lb test curve. Dick Walkers 44 was on a 1.5lb, Chris Yates had his 56 on an avon, unless your casting massive pva bags, you'll never need more than a 2 1/4.

Absolutely!