Carp rod and reel advice - wagler and feeder

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice on good but cheap rod and reel combo.

I'm looking to fish a Guru balsa dart type pellet wagler (with luncheon meat not pellets) and occasionally a small cage feeder, so the rod tip needs to be flexible enough for bite indication (I don't plan on spending on bite alarms etc, not my kind of fishing)

Currently using my pike setup which is a 12 foot wychwood agitator and Fox EOS 10000 FS big pit reel which I know is way too heavy kit really.

Looking to spend no more than about £125 on the rod and reel.

Also, what breaking strain line should I be looking at? Carp in the pond I fish a few are around 20lbs but mostly low double figures and smaller and some single figure tench. Currently have 12lbs Nash bullet mono. I'm hoping to go thinner, but still looking for a quality sinking good casting mono. Hate braid :)

Many thanks.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
Looking at the Korum 12ft all round carp rod for instance if anyone has any experience with that? Think its 1.5lbs test.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For carp of that size I used an Avon quiver rod with a feeder sized reel with 6lb line if they are likely to top out at low doubles and 8lb if they could go close to twenties. The two such rods I have are the 8-10ft tf gear compact allrounder and the 11ft john Wilson Avon quiver travel. There’s not much between them as feeder rods but I would say the Wilson is a bit better. As float rods the Wilson is definitely nicer but the tf gear is more powerful.

Never heard of the Korum carp allrounder but have had a waggle of their standard 11ft 1.25lb test allrounder and it felt quite nice.

Greenwood_15

I use the Daiwa Black Widow Twin Tip for the same purposes ( i have the 1.75 TC/2 oz tipped variant; rated 8-15lb line) but they do a 1.5 TC version.

Excellent rod had carp up to 14lbs on it using 8 lb mono. approx £50.00 on-line