Carp & Pike kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lid

I'm trying to put together a dual purpose pike and carp kit in the next couple of weeks. I've got a budget of 200 [;)]. I don't want two piece rods and I want to choose reasonable reels, so I've decided not to get one of the many budget kits you can buy.

Here's what I think I'll get :

1 Skp 3 pce 12' Valour carp rod 2.5 t/c.............40
1 Skp 5 pce 12' Expedition carp rod 2.75 t/c......63

2 Okuma Interceptor IBF50 or IBF65.................60

Reel Deal pod (with buzz bars, heads, swingers..24
butt clips, bag)

3 cheapo bite alarms from Askari......................15

Postage from four different companies is about...24

This comes to 226, which is over budget by the postage [:(!]

I'd love to buy it all from my tackle dealer, but they just don't have this level of kit for the price. [:(]

Anyway, does anyone have any other suggestions. I definitely don't want 2 piece rods and I like the idea of the expedition 5 piece for holidays, etc. Useful for sea and fresh methought. [8D]

I could change the reels for standard Okuma dynadrags with a spare spool at 44 for the two and that would save me 16 and I could lose another 23 by getting two 3 piece rods.

I'm not sure about the indicator set up either. Will I be able to use the same alarm stuff for both carp and pike, or do I need to get some other kit too [?]

Thanks all.

Lid - formerly known as Leighton [:)]

Last edited:

RoyC

Lid

The buget you say you have the list of gear is about right
go for it
It,s a start

Roy (Have a nice day)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Lid,

You could cut the price down on the pod kit with THIS ONE from Badger 19.99.

I've got one and it's pretty good.

Dave

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I would look at the rods why not get a pair of shakys. The test curves of the 2 rods your looking at are very similar and you wouldnt see to much difference between the 2.5 and the 2.75. and you would save money. Theres no problems using those bite alarms and the indicators you mention.

chill out go fishing

Last edited:

fishing_mad

hey dave thats not a bad rod pod i always thought they were about 60 minimun

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

Lid

I've just looked and Badger seem to charge 7 for delivery.

The reel deal pod at 24 actually includes postage, which I didn't know, so works out a bit cheaper. The pods look very similar. [8D]

I'm still trying to work out a way to buy more of the stuff from one source. If I could get the rods and reels from one place and the pod and alarms from another, that would be better. Might have to change the choice of reel though. [:eek:)]

Does anyone know if the Mitchell MD60 is any good (20, but not sure if that includes a spare spool) [?]

Lid - formerly known as Leighton [:)]

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Don't Forget an unhooking mat & large Landing net.. Fish safety

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***[img]http://www.aaa-clipart.com/data/anim2/dogs/an14.gif

Last edited:

TINY

Tiny
The Mitchell isnt bad for the money(no spare spool).I agree with esox about the rods and you will find that Askari deal direct to the public so dealers like myself cant really compete with their prices.Unfortunately I dont think you will get it all from one source.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
You could try Used Tackle at Hucknall on 01159 631777. I got some Dragon Carp branded gear from there last year and have been very happy.

Don't know if they do anything other than 2-piece rods, but it's worth asking.

They, and other dealers, are going to be at a Tackle Sale in Kettering on the 8/9th Feb if you can wait that long. Pre-booked entrance is 4 but at least you would be able to get a fair bit, if not everything, from one place that way (and get to see/feel it first).

See www.yalex.co.uk for details.

AlanP

Last edited:

Lid

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll keep refining my list till I'm sorted then.

Esox - By Shakys do you mean Shakespeare?

Stu - I've got an unhooking mat big enuf for a family of 4 and also a decent carp sized landing net (until it's banned). Thanks for the tip though.

Alan - I was hoping to tackle up before 9 Feb for the Stony & Friends pike charity fish in, but it's possible I may have to work that day anyway, in which case I spose I could leave it till the 8th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.