Carp pellets ... any tips on usage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Just been and bought some Carp pellets to be used on Friday at my local Carp lake, I've bought some :-

Miracle bait floating expander pellets

Which I hope to be able to lure the critters to the surface and pick em off with floating bread, but I see they can also be used as hookbait if you pre-soak for a couple of mins (will they stop on for ledgering though?).

Sensas Carp pellets (Scopex Yellow)

I'm going to ledger close in to the margins with my 2nd rod, think I just chuck them in around my hook bait (maybe I could fill a feeder with them to draw the fish to my hook?).

The truth is that I haven't bothered with pellets before, but I've noticed over the last few weeks that I'm getting less activity on the ledger and I'm hoping that the pellets might stir up some action.

If anyone can give me a few pointers or tips on using pellets I'd appreciate the advice.

cheers

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

chrismarklong

Throw them in at your swim before you get there, then by the time you have started to fish, the fish have been attracted and you can start catching fish straight away..Thats what i do anyway..

MALC

AndyA,

Using expanders as a freebie for floater fishing is a dear way to go personaly i'd say use cheap floating pond pellets or dog/cat mixers/biscuits.

Regards the expanders for the hook all you need to do is cover them with boiling water for about 10 seconds then tip the water away and put the pellets in a plastic bag and they will be perfect for the hook and are slightly bouyant.

Or you can soak them in cold water for about an hour with the same results.

You can also add any flavour or colour when adding the water.

If you want them to sink then just give them a squeeze.

Also when prepaired as above they are also perfect in a Drennen Gripmesh Feeder as they just shoot out when in the water and you wont need any groundbait to hold them in.

Regards the Sensas Carp pellets i wont and dont use them so wont comment.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

AndyA

Thanks for the input.
Malc ... you've got me curios as to the Regards the Sensas Carp pellets i wont and dont use them so wont comment. bit, what do you mean "won't" ? ... just curios.

MALC

AndyA

My reasons for that comment was formed after trying them when Sensas & Van Den Eynde first released them a few years back.

I felt that the pair of them were just jumping on the Pellet band waggon with a cheap inferior item that was Very Over Priced and was not a patch on lesser know makes of pellet that were and still are cheaper.

And must admit that i've looked at them since (on others bait tables ) and still feel the same.[;)][;)]

But at the end of the day we all have our favourite baits or makes and what one of us likes the other may think is rubbish.

Thats one reason why i like this site as every body has their view and it give's more idea's to play around with (even if we dont all agree ).[;)][;)]

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

henry

if it is to late to get some more bait from the tackle shop then why dont you try making a bread crumb groundbait with spices that could work in the feeder or you could try some sweetcorn pellet wise i have to agree with malc oh if i wise you i wouldnt youse expanders for line and rod because i find that they are a bit to soft so they fly of or what you could do is leave them in water for a shorter time when you prepare them so they are much harder try thr ringers pellets they work a treat. hope this helps

AndyA

quote:Regards the expanders for the hook all you need to do is cover them with boiling water for about 10 seconds then tip the water away and put the pellets in a plastic bag and they will be perfect for the hook and are slightly bouyant

Well I've tried these Floating pellets on the hook and they do seem to attract the smaller fish but is there some way I can crunch a load into one big hook bait and maybe use it on the ledger ?.

I suppose I'll maybe need to but some made for the job but I'd like to have a go making my own.
[:D]

matt

hi andy, pedigree chum mixers swell up quite large when soaked in water and can be made to sink when the air is squeezed out of them. alterntively, you could soak them, leave them as they are and use them on a pop up rig. if you want to use bunch of pellets as hookbait, u could mount a 3 or 4 pellets on a long hair rig, this would go some way to sorting out the bigger fish. hope this helps

You cheeky monkey!

scoobs11

mush em up into a paste if you want a bigger bait !!!!

the worlds your clam then

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

AndyA

Thanks matt & scoobs, mixers are used a lot on our Carp lake mostly as floaters and I sort of thought that the fish may be getting wary of them now, but having tried the pellets I can see why they would work they flaming well stink and must pull fish in to the swim.

I think I'll pop down to my local tackle shop for a chat.

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.