Carp on the top.

BarryS

Gone fishing
I have a real preference for surface carp fishing.....and can't wait for the water to get a bit warmer......so when do you guys expect to see carp on the top ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
They’ve been on the top wherever I’ve been since we got past that cold spell that followed Easter.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can see them on the top at least so with a positive attitude you could catch them. They're basking due to the sunny days and cold nights. May last year was scorching though so I'm hoping for the same this year, but that's when they'll probably spawn.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
'can't wait for the water to get a bit warmer'
'so when do you guys expect to see carp on the top ?'

Think you've answered your own question mate

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
They were cruising the top at my local on Saturday. Quite a few folk were catching on floating bread.
It would have been even better if floating baits were allowed at that venue. :mad:

crusty

The only months I've not caught carp off the surface are January and February.

Give it a go (y)

Ian

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Carp have been caught regularly off the top on our club waters for the past week. Floating crust, dog biscuit and pop up boilies have all been successful used in conjunction with a controller float.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Already on top on my local and getting caught on shallow pellet waggler, have been for at least 2 weeks.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Well in answer to my own question I went 2 days ago.....and yes they were up on top. I tried bread with a controller float but they were not interested. Got the fly rod out ..dropping the fly into a few floating dog biscuits and had 8 nice carp between 1pm and 6pm. 2 doubles with the best 11 1/2.....great first session this year

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Plenty on top yesterday. Not really having it though. Managed to 'mug' a couple but most not interested.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I caught shallow on the pole and pellet waggler yesterday however they weren't competing for the feed, more cruising in the upper layers where the water is a little warmer

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Down at the club waters a couple of days ago, I sat and watched Carp being taken off the top by a chap using those small marshmallows. His biggest while I was there was a 13/14lb'er.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well in answer to my own question I went 2 days ago.....and yes they were up on top. I tried bread with a controller float but they were not interested. Got the fly rod out ..dropping the fly into a few floating dog biscuits and had 8 nice carp between 1pm and 6pm. 2 doubles with the best 11 1/2.....great first session this year
Sounds good fun that. Most none commercial carp I ever saw caught in a day were on the fly like that, seems very effective 👍🏻

Fishing floaters is a complete noddy method and ruins waters
Nothing wrong with the method it’s just a way of catching fish like anything that’s legal. It’s noddys doing it that ruins waters. The sort of plonkers that carpet bomb a place with baits so they drifts all over the place, particularly on a windy day. That’s completely different to someone doing it properly by just feeding a few baits at a time at fish they can already see on a calm day. Can fully understand why it gets banned though as unfortunately a lot of those that try it are of the carpet bombing approach.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Sounds good fun that. Most none commercial carp I ever saw caught in a day were on the fly like that, seems very effective 👍🏻

Nothing wrong with the method it’s just a way of catching fish like anything that’s legal. It’s noddys doing it that ruins waters. The sort of plonkers that carpet bomb a place with baits so they drifts all over the place, particularly on a windy day. That’s completely different to someone doing it properly by just feeding a few baits at a time at fish they can already see on a calm day. Can fully understand why it gets banned though as unfortunately a lot of those that try it are of the carpet bombing approach.
Whatever 💁‍♂️💁‍♂️I used to do it when I was about 10, then I learnt how to fish properly 👍👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My main water I used to do it on back in the day was so weedy that it was pretty much the only way of fishing it. I have been places on holiday though where it seems everyone was fishing floating baits and it did seem to spoil it a bit.