Carp on deadbait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

I have just returned from The Royalty after a days Pike fishing. We have had a lovely day out. The river is severely flooded, but we managed to fish the Parlour Pool which tends to be a bit gentler in these conditions.

We didn't have so much as a nudge all day until about 3:30pm. My float had disappeared and my rod tip was nudging, so I wound up the slack and hit into it. I felt a fish on and felt her swim upstream. Expecting a nice Pike, I was gobsmacked when I saw the fish leave the water. It was a common carp. It came out like a whale coming up for air, I saw its head come out and clearly saw the scales on its back. No doubt about it, it was definitely a Common. And it had taken a paternostered whole mackerel. Seconds later, my line snapped and I had that sinking feeling.

1 - I had just lost a big bonus fish.
2 - there's now a big Common Carp swimming around the Avon with a wire trace stuck in its mouth.

I can live with losing the fish, it happens, but I am worrying my head off about the carp.
It's not dragging the weight because the set up would have left the lead behind, but the river looks like it's going to be high for a long time as all the fields were completely underwater and I cannot foresee when someone is likely to fish for the carp with the slim hope that they'll catch the same fish and get the trace out.

I was using 14lb Daiwa Infinity mono and have landed nice pike with the line, so I am totally at a loss as to why the line snapped. It was a clean break and didn't snap at the knot (5 turn Grinner).

Has anybody else had any trouble with this line as I haven't been using it long, so it can't have perished through age.

I am still also very curious about Carp taking a deadbait, although I am sure I read something in the last couple of weeks about Carp taking deadbaits. Anyone else seen or heard of this?

Score for the day, my mate Ron had one pike, 10 3/4lb. It was in perfect condition. I have a photo and will post it on later.

DJ.gif

Lid

I really feel for you, Beebs (and the carp). If it happened to me I'd be gutted.

I don't use that line, but is there any chance you might have damaged it or maybe got a knot in it from a slight tangle or when you set up? [?]

There was an article in one of the weekly comics recently about carp taking deadbaits intended for pike, but smallish baits like gudgeon I think. What size carp has a mouth big enough for a whole mackerel, eh? Bout 30lbs I reckon, just to rub salt into the wound. [:(]

As to the trace, were the hooks barbless or semi barbed by any chance, as maybe it would shed those more easily on its own?

Lid

Last edited:

Beebs

Hi Leighton. They were semi-barbless hooks. No tangles, had just set up the rig after trying every other method you can think of, and had decided that a paternoster (with my rods set in the rests like beach casters to stop the flow dragging the line downstream) was the best way to fish the far bank.

Bait was a whole joey mackerel, so was not overly big, but still a mouthful for a carp.

The carp was not a 30. I banked 2 this year which were just under 20 and they looked a lot bigger than this one did. This one, although I only saw it for a split second was not a giant, more long and lean than fat and squat like lake carp tend to be.

I spoke to a Royalty regular on his way home, who had his picture in AM recently with the only decent pike taken out of The Royalty this season, and explained the situation and he said that most of the carp in that stretch of the Avon are commons, so it's unlikely that I was just imagining it.

I have racked my brains since and have managed to come up with the only theory that I can believe is feasable. I had my rods already set up and carted them down in a quiver, but didn't have protectors to put on the treble hooks. I am assuming that at some time during transport, carrying etc, the line has rubbed against an unprotected treble and created a nick in the reel line which has failed during the fish's first run. The clutch wasn't too tight and everything else I have pondered over and dismissed.

I truly hope the fish can shake the trace of its own accord, because the thought of a pristine river carp that is rarely fished for swimming around with 18 inches of wire trace hanging out of its mouth just makes me shudder. I am straight off to my tackle shop in the morning for treble protectors, because this situation I find difficult to accept. I know protectors are available, but had decided that I didn't need them, and now there may be a beautiful fish swimming around in unnecessary discomfort due to my lack of foresight.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I reckon more carp would be caught if people used dead baits more. Probably small roach 3/4 inches fished on a single hook would do the job. Several years ago while legering small roach dead baits for cats I had a lot of runs and I mean screamers that I couldnt hit. No pike in this water so what was responsible?

chill out go fishing

Beebs

quote: Several years ago while legering small roach dead baits for cats I had a lot of runs and I mean screamers that I couldnt hit.

Hi John, did you have any luck catching cats? I am slowly working on fish that I have never caught and cats are one of the species. There are a few lakes near where I live that have them and I think they are fascinating. Yately lakes apparently has a 45lber and it is 10 minutes from where I live so it is definitely on the cards this Summer. That leaves only orfe, ide, gold tench and zander I believe

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I managed one fish that night on a boilie only a little kitten just over 7lb.

chill out go fishing

Ian C

Hi Beebs,

I recently switched to using Diawa Infinity Duo too after finding the knot strength poor on Diawa's Sensor line.

To test the Infinity Duo I went to a large pit armed with a Nash 3lb TC rod, a 3oz weight and the 14lb Duo loaded onto a Shimano long cast reel (takes about 600 yards). I wanted to see how the line would cope without a shock leader. I never managed to get a crack-off on casting, despite really going for it! So, I'm happy with the Infinity line, though I will use a shock leader for added insurance when fishing at very long range.

As with any production technique, there will be occasional problems, so maybe you were unlucky to buy a spool of line with a single flaw?

Is it possible that the carp was foul hooked and didn't actually take the bait?
Maybe the carp swam through a snag before you hit it, damaging the line?
As you used semi's, I'm sure it will manage to discard the trace [:)]

I appreciate how you feel. None of us like to think we have left a fish swimming round with any sort of tackle attached, but it happens to people from time to time. I have caught pike with traces attached on a couple of occasions and the odd carp with just a hook in the mouth/lip.

I hope you have a bit more luck next time [:D]

Ian C

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Ian, I use and swear by Diawa sensor I have never had any problems with knots. Even with untucked blood knots.
Beebs, I'm more inclined to think that the line suffered some abrasion from rocks or a snag rather than from catching on hooks.
I have carried ready made up rods for years and as far as I know have never had this happen to me.
What I do tend to do though is to check the last few yards of line at home prior to a trip. Re tying if required.

chill out go fishing

Beebs

I have just found the piece I read. In last weeks AM there is an article about people catching carp on pike tackle in the winter. Maybe I'll alter my approach and try for carp on fish pieces.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I think there are a lot more 'non-predatory' fish caught on deadbaits than people imagine.

I used to fish the British Pike Champs ever year and they had a prize for the biggest fish (other than pike or zander)caught. It was almost always won with a bream of 6lbs+.

At my own club lake there's been a couple of carp caught on small deadbaits in the winter. It's not that suprising I suppose, after all we all use fishmeal boiles/pellets/groundbait and whats that made from?

Tight Lines

Simon

Lid

When I went to Sweden in 1975, I was told that people caught Bream in the centre of Stockholm using spinners. However I think they might have been foul hooked cos the shoals were so big.

On the other side of the coin, I've caught small pike on bread and worms.

Lid

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Back in the 60's R. Walker had pictures of Bream taken on live bait in Holland. If memory serves me right this was published in Still Water Angling. All fish are opportunist feeders and respond to what ever food is easily available so if theres a surplus of fry these will form part of there diet. How many of us have actually taken the time and effort to fish say small dead baits or even white bait. Maybe a concentrated effort would produce unheard of results.

chill out go fishing

everyready

a few years ago i watch a 22lbs carp eating small dead fish 5inch long off the top of a pond i was fishing . at first i thought it was a pike but keeped watching it feed on fish and lillypads yes lillypads? so i set my pole up heavy and went after it .it took just over 1/2 hour to get in the net

Status
Not open for further replies.